Link: Football Scoop: Freddie Kitchens to be promoted to Browns HC - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    BamaNation Second Team

Re: Football Scoop: Freddie Kitchens to be promoted to Browns HC

Quote Originally Posted by TRU View Post
    And having lived there for 4 years, I can attest to the fact that Cleveland is not exactly a garden spot. I hope he can shortly decamp to a better position in a better place to live, as I did.
    I bet most parts of Cleveland would be a step up from Attalla. I grew up playing against Freddy and his brother all the way from peewee football through high school, and I worked in the athletic department when he was Qb at UA. What he has achieved, from the situation he came from, is remarkable and I am super proud for him. The only thing he has ever been blessed with is a rocket for a right arm. Roll Tide Big Thick!

BamaNation All-SEC

Quote Originally Posted by TRU View Post
    I don't know how I feel. Happy for Freddie, who was one of the toughest and most tragic figures of the Stallings/Dubose era. But Cleveland? And the Browns???? This may not end well. And having lived there for 4 years, I can attest to the fact that Cleveland is not exactly a garden spot. I hope he can shortly decamp to a better position in a better place to live, as I did.
    I loved Freddie back in the day. I am curious what you mean when you call him a tragic figure of that era. I know he never got the type numbers as a QB as we might have wanted, but really nobody did in that era. He played during the latter part of the CGS's coaching tenure, and we were on the decline a bit, but I always thought highly of Kitchens.

BamaNation All-SEC

Quote Originally Posted by RedWave View Post
    I loved Freddie back in the day. I am curious what you mean when you call him a tragic figure of that era. I know he never got the type numbers as a QB as we might have wanted, but really nobody did in that era. He played during the latter part of the CGS's coaching tenure, and we were on the decline a bit, but I always thought highly of Kitchens.
    Gene used to put Freddie in and then pull him immediately when he made an error. A great way to build a QB's confidence. And at one point he inspired him with the greatest motivation speech since"Win one for the Gipper". "Freddie, go in there and just try not to hurt the team". Couple that with his fate to play behind an OL that was so bad the defense was often in the backfield before he could get the ball out from under center. And despite all of that, he managed to put together a great 2 minute drive to beat Auburn when he was junior. He was a very tough and dedicated player that did not get a fair shake by playing in the twilight of the CGS years and the dawn of the Dumbose error. That is what I mean by tragic. But being the tough guy he is, he has now risen to the top of his profession. He has overcome a rocky start. I am very happy for him. But man, the Cleveland winters - the lake effect snow. And not seeing the sun for months on end. There are lots better places to live.

BamaNation Hall of Fame jthomas666's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedWave View Post
    I loved Freddie back in the day. I am curious what you mean when you call him a tragic figure of that era.
    He had a lot of potential, but never got a chance to develop.

Also, he was robbed of being the first Bama QB to win in Jordan-Hare by officials, and was robbed of another win over Auburn by Bruce Arians.
    This is the darkest timeline.

BamaNation All-American CrimsonTheory's Avatar

I never saw Freddie as a head coach back when he was playing at Bama, but I am more than happy to be proven wrong.

He earned this chances because of his work with Baker.

Congrats Freddie, I hope it works out for you.
    the former CrimsonBleedRed.

Good for Freddie!
    Just a barner.

Confirms my school isn't listed

The scumbags! Death penalty for all the cheaters!

Happy for him, hope he does well! I remember watching him growing up, still remember the announcers talk about that arm he had. He was a big boy!

BamaNation First Team 12Namath12's Avatar

As a longtime Browns fan, I am excited about Freddie being the next head coach. He really had a great rapport with Baker. The Browns future is looking bright!

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Saw it on TV today during the Cowboys game.
    I'm proud of Freddie. (Local guy)
    I watched Freddie at Etowah High School, and at Alabama.
    Nice guy and a good coach.
    Cleveland got the best man for the job.
    CONGRATULATIONS FREDDIE.

Super Moderator NationalTitles17's Avatar

Congratulations, Coach Kitchens!
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

The TideFan formerly known as NationalTitles16, NationalTitles15, NationalTitles14, NationalTitles13, and NationalTitles12.

BamaNation Second Team

Quote Originally Posted by jthomas666 View Post

Also, he was robbed of being the first Bama QB to win in Jordan-Hare by officials, and was robbed of another win over Auburn by Bruce Arians.
    I still have that "Iron Bowl '95 Correction" picture hanging in the man cave. Obvious touchdown to Curtis Brown in the back of the endzone. If we would have had instant replay at that time, we win that game.

For anyone of the belief that this is a bad situation because it is the Browns. I have this to say. They have missed on several first and second round picks in the recent past, including Trent. Don’t feel bad for Freddie. Cleveland is beginning to approach the young Talent level of Kansas City a few years back. With Mayfield , Chubb, Garret , Landry and the rest they should be able to compete for the NFC North next year. I think their only holdback is they have no Bama players on their roster, but they have a coach
    Last edited by bamaga; January 10th, 2019 at 06:57 PM.
    to 16 and beyond........

BamaNation All-SEC

Quote Originally Posted by jthomas666 View Post

Also, he was robbed of being the first Bama QB to win in Jordan-Hare by officials, and was robbed of another win over Auburn by Ed Scissum.
    FIFY.

Yeah, I know that was a bad call. But what did he really call there? He put the ball in the hands of our most reliable guy, which Scissum had been all year. I am not bad mouthing Scissum here either. I thought he was really really good for us at Alabama during his time. If you want someone to hold the ball and not blow it for you, Ed was the guy. Should you do it with a screen? No. Bad idea. But you put faith in the guy you knew you could. Only problem was, he fumbled it, which he never does. I remember during the '09 season, there had been talk during the UT came about just how reliable Mark Ingram was and how he NEVER fumbled. I think Danielson was the one saying it. That same drive, or maybe the next one, Ingram fumbled. He never does it, only he did.

Personally, I would not have called that play but I do understand why Arians did. Had it worked out, he would look like a hero.