Link: Football Scoop: Freddie Kitchens to be promoted to Browns HC

TRU

All-SEC
Oct 3, 2000
Tampa, FL
I don't know how I feel. Happy for Freddie, who was one of the toughest and most tragic figures of the Stallings/Dubose era. But Cleveland? And the Browns???? This may not end well. And having lived there for 4 years, I can attest to the fact that Cleveland is not exactly a garden spot. I hope he can shortly decamp to a better position in a better place to live, as I did.

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
He just got his first HC gig in the NFL!!! I don't think he'd care if it was in Opelika!!!
Congrats and best of luck to CFK!!! RTR!!!

I don't know how I feel. Happy for Freddie, who was one of the toughest and most tragic figures of the Stallings/Dubose era. But Cleveland? And the Browns???? This may not end well. And having lived there for 4 years, I can attest to the fact that Cleveland is not exactly a garden spot. I hope he can shortly decamp to a better position in a better place to live, as I did.

Pilot172000

1st Team
Sep 25, 2017
Winnsboro, LA
This was the right move. For those who have been watching what is unfolding in Cleveland right now, this is a big deal. Baker Mayfield is going to be a legend in Cleveland if the leadership there doesn't wreck it.

bamaee04

All-SEC
Nov 15, 2004
Birmingham, AL
I believe Cleveland went 5-3 for the second half of the season with Kitchens running the offense, so they obviously showed some improvement on that side of the ball. Congrats to him and RTR!

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
Wow, from position coach to coordinator to head coach in four months. Talk about fast tracking! I hate that it’s with the Browns, but , with the talent they have he should have some measure of success!

Bama 8Ball

1st Team
Oct 10, 2018
Too Far North
And having lived there for 4 years, I can attest to the fact that Cleveland is not exactly a garden spot. I hope he can shortly decamp to a better position in a better place to live, as I did.
I bet most parts of Cleveland would be a step up from Attalla. I grew up playing against Freddy and his brother all the way from peewee football through high school, and I worked in the athletic department when he was Qb at UA. What he has achieved, from the situation he came from, is remarkable and I am super proud for him. The only thing he has ever been blessed with is a rocket for a right arm. Roll Tide Big Thick!

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
I loved Freddie back in the day. I am curious what you mean when you call him a tragic figure of that era. I know he never got the type numbers as a QB as we might have wanted, but really nobody did in that era. He played during the latter part of the CGS's coaching tenure, and we were on the decline a bit, but I always thought highly of Kitchens.

TRU

All-SEC
Oct 3, 2000
Tampa, FL
I loved Freddie back in the day. I am curious what you mean when you call him a tragic figure of that era. I know he never got the type numbers as a QB as we might have wanted, but really nobody did in that era. He played during the latter part of the CGS's coaching tenure, and we were on the decline a bit, but I always thought highly of Kitchens.
Gene used to put Freddie in and then pull him immediately when he made an error. A great way to build a QB's confidence. And at one point he inspired him with the greatest motivation speech since"Win one for the Gipper". "Freddie, go in there and just try not to hurt the team". Couple that with his fate to play behind an OL that was so bad the defense was often in the backfield before he could get the ball out from under center. And despite all of that, he managed to put together a great 2 minute drive to beat Auburn when he was junior. He was a very tough and dedicated player that did not get a fair shake by playing in the twilight of the CGS years and the dawn of the Dumbose error. That is what I mean by tragic. But being the tough guy he is, he has now risen to the top of his profession. He has overcome a rocky start. I am very happy for him. But man, the Cleveland winters - the lake effect snow. And not seeing the sun for months on end. There are lots better places to live.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
I loved Freddie back in the day. I am curious what you mean when you call him a tragic figure of that era.
He had a lot of potential, but never got a chance to develop.

Also, he was robbed of being the first Bama QB to win in Jordan-Hare by officials, and was robbed of another win over Auburn by Bruce Arians.

CrimsonTheory

All-American
Mar 26, 2012
CrimsonBleedRed
I never saw Freddie as a head coach back when he was playing at Bama, but I am more than happy to be proven wrong.

He earned this chances because of his work with Baker.

Congrats Freddie, I hope it works out for you.

HMM

All-SEC
Sep 1, 2007
Happy for him, hope he does well! I remember watching him growing up, still remember the announcers talk about that arm he had. He was a big boy!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.