Link: Football Scoop: Freddie Kitchens to be promoted to Browns HC

12Namath12

Suspended
Sep 24, 2016
Birmingham
As a longtime Browns fan, I am excited about Freddie being the next head coach. He really had a great rapport with Baker. The Browns future is looking bright!

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Saw it on TV today during the Cowboys game.
I'm proud of Freddie. (Local guy)
I watched Freddie at Etowah High School, and at Alabama.
Nice guy and a good coach.
Cleveland got the best man for the job.
CONGRATULATIONS FREDDIE.

Bama 8Ball

1st Team
Oct 10, 2018
Too Far North
He had a lot of potential, but never got a chance to develop.

Also, he was robbed of being the first Bama QB to win in Jordan-Hare by officials, and was robbed of another win over Auburn by Bruce Arians.
I still have that "Iron Bowl '95 Correction" picture hanging in the man cave. Obvious touchdown to Curtis Brown in the back of the endzone. If we would have had instant replay at that time, we win that game.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
For anyone of the belief that this is a bad situation because it is the Browns. I have this to say. They have missed on several first and second round picks in the recent past, including Trent. Don’t feel bad for Freddie. Cleveland is beginning to approach the young Talent level of Kansas City a few years back. With Mayfield , Chubb, Garret , Landry and the rest they should be able to compete for the NFC North next year. I think their only holdback is they have no Bama players on their roster, but they have a coach

Last edited:

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
He had a lot of potential, but never got a chance to develop.

Also, he was robbed of being the first Bama QB to win in Jordan-Hare by officials, and was robbed of another win over Auburn by Ed Scissum.
FIFY.

Yeah, I know that was a bad call. But what did he really call there? He put the ball in the hands of our most reliable guy, which Scissum had been all year. I am not bad mouthing Scissum here either. I thought he was really really good for us at Alabama during his time. If you want someone to hold the ball and not blow it for you, Ed was the guy. Should you do it with a screen? No. Bad idea. But you put faith in the guy you knew you could. Only problem was, he fumbled it, which he never does. I remember during the '09 season, there had been talk during the UT came about just how reliable Mark Ingram was and how he NEVER fumbled. I think Danielson was the one saying it. That same drive, or maybe the next one, Ingram fumbled. He never does it, only he did.

Personally, I would not have called that play but I do understand why Arians did. Had it worked out, he would look like a hero.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
FIFY.

Yeah, I know that was a bad call. But what did he really call there? He put the ball in the hands of our most reliable guy, which Scissum had been all year. I am not bad mouthing Scissum here either. I thought he was really really good for us at Alabama during his time. If you want someone to hold the ball and not blow it for you, Ed was the guy. Should you do it with a screen? No. Bad idea. But you put faith in the guy you knew you could. Only problem was, he fumbled it, which he never does. I remember during the '09 season, there had been talk during the UT came about just how reliable Mark Ingram was and how he NEVER fumbled. I think Danielson was the one saying it. That same drive, or maybe the next one, Ingram fumbled. He never does it, only he did.

Personally, I would not have called that play but I do understand why Arians did. Had it worked out, he would look like a hero.
ES didn't cause that loss. A stupid coaching decision did. Run the ball and punt there and even without the first down it's likely an Alabama win.

ETA: I'm really Ed's father.

Last edited:

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
FIFY.

The bad play call rests with the guy who calls the bad play, not the guy who gets set up to fail on it, particularly when we are talking about college amateur athletes. I'd have less of a problem blaming Scissum were he in the NFL.....but I doubt that play would be called in the NFL save by the NY Giants.

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
The bad play call rests with the guy who calls the bad play, not the guy who gets set up to fail on it, particularly when we are talking about college amateur athletes. I'd have less of a problem blaming Scissum were he in the NFL.....but I doubt that play would be called in the NFL save by the NY Giants.
Yeah. I know what you guys mean here. And I don't totally disagree with you either. I have always said it was not a good call. But I do think putting the ball in the hands of your most reliable ball handler, which in my opinion was Scissum, was a good idea. The way they chose to do it...bad idea. I still don't think it was the worst call ever. Scissum was really good for us for a while (Alexander was better, but that's another story), and if he had gotten that first down, then it was game over. We don't know that Craig wouldn't have gotten a break and scored after the punt anyway. Or that the punt wouldn't have been blocked or returned for a TD. He made a reasonably safe call (screens are not viewed as dangerous play calls) that just did not work out.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
Good for him. I remember watching highlights of him on “Sideline” on Fox 6 (ABC affiliate then) with Rick Karle. I was stoked when he came to Bama. Looks like he’s done well and it will give me a different reason to keep watch on the Browns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I remember Freddie always wearing the baseball pitchers arm warmer between offensive series. I had never seen a QB do that and really haven’t seen it since.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Didn't he also pitch on the baseball team for a while?

He was tough as nails. He should have beat Peyton Manning in Knoxville in 1996 too. Damn Jay Graham.
I think that is why he had the arm warmer sling. Paging Selma, so he can help us remember this and a bunch of other little known facts about 1996.

Bama 8Ball

1st Team
Oct 10, 2018
Too Far North
I think that is why he had the arm warmer sling. Paging Selma, so he can help us remember this and a bunch of other little known facts about 1996.
Freddie did pitch for a season or two. Unfortunately by that time he had already had a couple shoulder surgeries if I recall. He became a junk ball/ off speed type pitcher. Really a shame for a guy who consistently hit lower 90s in High school

Bama 8Ball

1st Team
Oct 10, 2018
Too Far North
Yep, he toed the rubber for the Etowah Blue Devils cruising in the 90s.
I remember the first time I stepped into the box against him. I had spent a good portion of the last inning working up the false bravado, as teenage boys are apt to do, trying to convince myself that if I could just make contact, the ball would leave the park. I will never forget stepping in the box and digging in, watching him start his windup, and the impossibly loud THWAAACK, the ball made as it hit the mitt for strike one. I knew at that instant that there was going to be no contact made by my Easton that day. I did come out of my cleats swinging at the next two pitches, though I never got close to touching one. Thoroughly humbled, I crawled back to the dugout with my tail between my legs...Thanks Freddie!

dvil doc

1st Team
Dec 3, 2014
Northern Virginia
@bama 8ball, I have a similar story. I stepped in the box one afternoon against Steve Shields who spent 12ish years in the MLB. I’m from Gadsden and he from Hokes Bluff. I played for Gadsden Scaffold Colt League coached by Slick Arledge, a youth baseball coaching legend.

Anyway, Steve had been mowing us down all game and I guess he got bored and shook off the heater and I recognized the curve as soon as I saw his decreased arm speed. The curve hung, I took a rip, and the ball landed just over the center field fence. I ran fast around the bases instead of doing a trot. I wish I had slowed down and enjoyed it a little more.

Bama 8Ball

1st Team
Oct 10, 2018
Too Far North
@bama 8ball, I have a similar story. I stepped in the box one afternoon against Steve Shields who spent 12ish years in the MLB. I’m from Gadsden and he from Hokes Bluff. I played for Gadsden Scaffold Colt League coached by Slick Arledge, a youth baseball coaching legend.

Anyway, Steve had been mowing us down all game and I guess he got bored and shook off the heater and I recognized the curve as soon as I saw his decreased arm speed. The curve hung, I took a rip, and the ball landed just over the center field fence. I ran fast around the bases instead of doing a trot. I wish I had slowed down and enjoyed it a little more.
I remember Steve Shields well, as I am from Glencoe and Hokes Bluff is our most hated rival. Made a few trips to Atlanta Fulton County Stadium to see him play for the Braves. Small world it is!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.