Thoughts on Jalen Coming into the Game

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I believe it was about the 9-10 minute of the fourth quarter. There's some uncertainty if Tua hurt his left hand (ESPN cameras caught him opening and closing his fist like it was hurting). But unless someone knows otherwise, I don't think the substitution was about Tua being hurt...

My personal opinion is the substitution just didn't feel or look right.

The odds were long down 28, but there's no question that we are more of a strike fast team with Tua rather than Jalen. Tua is also famously known for leading big comebacks against all odds.

With all due respect to what Jalen did in the SEC against Georgia, the timing of him coming into the game did not feel like it was out of hope he could lead us to victory. Instead, it kinda felt like we just gave up. Pundits and social media pouncers sure saw it that way...and I kinda felt it too, if I'm being honest.

Surprised more hasn't been said about this. It was just the cherry on top of questionable coaching calls on Monday night.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
If we wanted to give Jalen a chance to be effective, we should have brought him in after Tua's second interception. But I do not feel it would have made a difference in the final outcome.

Texas_tide

Scout Team
Oct 16, 2018
We could get from the 25 to 25 in about 4 plays all game.

Moving the ball was not a problem. Red zone play calling and execution was. Jalen probably could have helped more near the red zone.

His ability to run, like he did against Georgia could have been productive.

Still scratching my head over 4th down Tua roll out at the goal line. Tua another 4th down scrable that was short probably would have favored Jalens ability.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017

Moving the ball was not a problem. Red zone play calling and execution was. Jalen probably could have helped more near the red zone.

Still scratching my head over 4th down Tua roll out at the goal line. Tua another 4th down scrable that was short probably would have favored Jalens ability.
You know, after his very first game vs USC this was my take away from Jalen and I still feel this way. He probably could have been really effective as a redzone weapon even if he didn't win the starting job. His running ability really just adds something in those situations.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

But we had to get to the 25...that's the part I don't think Jalen could have helped improve our chances.

But you are correct he might have helped in some of those play calls around the 15-20 yard line. Not so sure about the goal line situation because he doesn't hit the hole as hard or fast as D. Harris or J. Jacobs.

Vinny

Hall of Fame
Sep 27, 2001
Rockaway, NJ
I had quit watching the trainwreck at that point. i did not even know he had played until I read it here.
It was a rough one to be at, we left at about the 8 minute mark only because we knew there would be no comeback and I didn’t know what to expect as we were trying to find the train line and wanted to get out and back to SF

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
If we wanted to give Jalen a chance to be effective, we should have brought him in after Tua's second interception. But I do not feel it would have made a difference in the final outcome.
Hindsight is 20/20...

When your running game is going good but your star passer is having an off night...and we've got a good running qb on the bench...

And absolutely no sour grapes from Jalen after the game.

TAKEPRIDE22

2nd Team
Jul 21, 2011
Birmingham, AL

If he was going to do the roll out, he should have went wildcat with Jacobs.

trenda

Hall of Fame
May 17, 2000
Hendersonville, TN USA
It was a rough one to be at, we left at about the 8 minute mark only because we knew there would be no comeback and I didn’t know what to expect as we were trying to find the train line and wanted to get out and back to SF

Same here. Plus, there was no need to sit through the Clemson celebration.

EscaTider

Hall of Fame
Oct 2, 2008
Flomaton, AL
This. He should've been brought in after the 2nd int, if nothing else other than to give Tua a chance to settle down and speak with Locks/Enos.

rtr90

1st Team
Dec 7, 2018
This. He should've been brought in after the 2nd int, if nothing else other than to give Tua a chance to settle down and speak with Locks/Enos.
This was confusing ...

I thought it was so that Tua doesnt suffer injury since they would be blitzing like crazy.

Why even have Jalen in .. why not just run wildcat if you are trying to kill clock ... they certainly did not call plays to help Jalen and Bama score points and the execution by OLine was still awful.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I have no problem with the way Hurts and Tua were used. Saban kept Tua in there as long as the game was still in play because some of the reasons people cited, because he was the most capable of bringing Alabama back. He put Hurts in once things were decided. Alabama simply didn't have the possessions at that point to win the game, plain and simple, and considering the defense wasn't getting the job done, this was nothing more than putting your backup QB in a blowout...

Now, does that mean it was giving up entirely? No, I suppose there was some small hope Hurts would have sparked things or caught Clemson offguard somehow, but they were far too dialed in and once it became apparently Hurts wasn't going to provide the magic, yes of course the team threw in the towel because they weren't going to win, no matter what.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
Nick had already conceded the game at that point. You want further evidence, we punted on 4th down near midfield with 9 minutes left in the game. Very long shot, but still within a distant, distant miracle. There were 4 possessions a piece in the first 10 minutes of the ball game including 2 three and outs by Clemson. I’m not making an issue of it , but that was the point I turned it off, haven’t watched a sports show since. This board and social media is my only connection to sports right now.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
There were 4 possessions a piece in the first 10 minutes of the ball game including 2 three and outs by Clemson
The difference is Clemson wasn't trying to burn clock earlier. That's a massive difference here because Alabama isn't armed with 12 timeouts, they can't extend the game at that point. Clemson just had to get the ball and they could run off a few minutes each time. If this was a shootout, where you can score in 30 seconds, yes you hold out some sort of hope for the miraculous, but Clemson was playing defense to...

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
The difference is Clemson wasn't trying to burn clock earlier. That's a massive difference here because Alabama isn't armed with 12 timeouts, they can't extend the game at that point. Clemson just had to get the ball and they could run off a few minutes each time. If this was a shootout, where you can score in 30 seconds, yes you hold out some sort of hope for the miraculous, but Clemson was playing defense to...
It wasn’t probable, but it wasn’t impossible either. I’m not trying to make an issue of it. It was speaking more to putting Hurts in the game knowing it was over. Still don’t know why we didn’t try something with Hurts in the red zone , especially after we were unsuccessful the first couple of times.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.