Thoughts on Jalen Coming into the Game

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
The game plan developed by the coaches wasn't very good.... I thought we had opportunities to get Jalen in the game and get few things going. It is what it is... Game over... we'll just deal with it.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I have no problem with the way Hurts and Tua were used. Saban kept Tua in there as long as the game was still in play because some of the reasons people cited, because he was the most capable of bringing Alabama back. He put Hurts in once things were decided. Alabama simply didn't have the possessions at that point to win the game, plain and simple, and considering the defense wasn't getting the job done, this was nothing more than putting your backup QB in a blowout...

Now, does that mean it was giving up entirely? No, I suppose there was some small hope Hurts would have sparked things or caught Clemson offguard somehow, but they were far too dialed in and once it became apparently Hurts wasn't going to provide the magic, yes of course the team threw in the towel because they weren't going to win, no matter what.
I know the win % at that point is probably less than 1%, but there was still time if we scored quick, got an onside kick, or a turnover, etc.

JMO but it just didn't feel appropriate to not let Tua have that possession with that much time left. It just felt like we were giving up.

It was probably never going to happen, but we took out the QB who will probably go down as the best to ever play the postion at Bama with a ton of time in a NC game.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
It wasn’t probable, but it wasn’t impossible either. I’m not trying to make an issue of it. It was speaking more to putting Hurts in the game knowing it was over. Still don’t know why we didn’t try something with Hurts in the red zone , especially after we were unsuccessful the first couple of times.
My thought comes back to what Spurrier would have done if his QB had thrown a pick six on his second play. He would have had an opportunity to watch some of the game and gain perspective on what the defense is doing. Particularly with a more experienced QB as his back up.

Greg McElroy discussed his thoughts on the game on Three Man Front this morning.

http://www.joxfm.com/3manfront/

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
I felt that it was Coach saying goodbye to a kid that has meant a lot to him and the whole program. One last chance to see the field in a crimson jersey. A lot of people have commented that Coach wasn't as animated as he usually is during the game, wasn't 'coaching' the players, etc. My opinion is that Nick Saban has seen a lot of football being played at the highest levels, and that he KNEW we weren't prepared for Clemson halfway through the first half. He said the right things at the half and after the game, but as I said elsewhere, we had a plan we believed in and Clemson decided not to play fair. They didn't even try to run the ball with their backs (until it was pretty much over), and realized that their wideouts were a match up nightmare for the guys we had covering them. Once they slapped us around a bit and Lawrence got over the jitters, we didn't even begin to stop them.

Jalen could not have brought us back from 28 down if he had all day to do it in.

rtr

trenda

Hall of Fame
May 17, 2000
Hendersonville, TN USA
I thought it was interesting that over the past 2-3 games we increasingly showed a package with both Tua and Jalen on the field together; yet didn’t go to it all on Monday night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I know the win % at that point is probably less than 1%, but there was still time if we scored quick, got an onside kick, or a turnover, etc.
The flip side is that Clemson was clearly well prepared for Tua. Yes Alabama moved the ball, but they couldn't punch it in. Hurts was just the last thing to try, and I don't think he wanted to "leave his pitcher out there" so to speak either. What he was facing otherwise was telling Tua to start tossing the ball into the teeth of a well prepared defense, forcing him to rack up a couple more INTs and making the scoreboard look even worse. At least with Hurts the hope might have been hey, Clemson is well prepared for Tua, may be they aren't for Hurts.

I just don't see the choice then as a problem. I think there's a lot more to be looked at earlier on, but some stuff you just can't plan for. The pick 6, the injury that leads to a TD, that stuff put Alabama in a bad spot and I'm not sure how you're supposed to respond to that past a certain point. Sometimes you just have to take your beating.

At that point I was writing a post on here because I needed a distraction...

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.