Thoughts on Jalen Coming into the Game
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar

Thoughts on Jalen Coming into the Game

I believe it was about the 9-10 minute of the fourth quarter. There's some uncertainty if Tua hurt his left hand (ESPN cameras caught him opening and closing his fist like it was hurting). But unless someone knows otherwise, I don't think the substitution was about Tua being hurt...

My personal opinion is the substitution just didn't feel or look right.

The odds were long down 28, but there's no question that we are more of a strike fast team with Tua rather than Jalen. Tua is also famously known for leading big comebacks against all odds.

With all due respect to what Jalen did in the SEC against Georgia, the timing of him coming into the game did not feel like it was out of hope he could lead us to victory. Instead, it kinda felt like we just gave up. Pundits and social media pouncers sure saw it that way...and I kinda felt it too, if I'm being honest.

Surprised more hasn't been said about this. It was just the cherry on top of questionable coaching calls on Monday night.

BamaNation All-American

Re: Thoughts on Jalen Coming into the Game

When Jalen came into the game it was a sign of giving up IMO.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

If we wanted to give Jalen a chance to be effective, we should have brought him in after Tua's second interception. But I do not feel it would have made a difference in the final outcome.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Crimson1967's Avatar

It was over. Didnít bother me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We could get from the 25 to 25 in about 4 plays all game.

Moving the ball was not a problem. Red zone play calling and execution was. Jalen probably could have helped more near the red zone.

His ability to run, like he did against Georgia could have been productive.

Still scratching my head over 4th down Tua roll out at the goal line. Tua another 4th down scrable that was short probably would have favored Jalens ability.

BamaNation Hall of Fame DzynKingRTR's Avatar

I had quit watching the trainwreck at that point. i did not even know he had played until I read it here.
    Architects do it with models.

Roll Tide Roll

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by Texas_tide View Post

Moving the ball was not a problem. Red zone play calling and execution was. Jalen probably could have helped more near the red zone.

Still scratching my head over 4th down Tua roll out at the goal line. Tua another 4th down scrable that was short probably would have favored Jalens ability.
    You know, after his very first game vs USC this was my take away from Jalen and I still feel this way. He probably could have been really effective as a redzone weapon even if he didn't win the starting job. His running ability really just adds something in those situations.

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar

But we had to get to the 25...that's the part I don't think Jalen could have helped improve our chances.

But you are correct he might have helped in some of those play calls around the 15-20 yard line. Not so sure about the goal line situation because he doesn't hit the hole as hard or fast as D. Harris or J. Jacobs.

Quote Originally Posted by DzynKingRTR View Post
    I had quit watching the trainwreck at that point. i did not even know he had played until I read it here.
    It was a rough one to be at, we left at about the 8 minute mark only because we knew there would be no comeback and I didnít know what to expect as we were trying to find the train line and wanted to get out and back to SF

Send me up some Pibb Extra and Golden Flake potato chips please

BamaNation Hall of Fame Chukker Veteran's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TideEngineer08 View Post
    If we wanted to give Jalen a chance to be effective, we should have brought him in after Tua's second interception. But I do not feel it would have made a difference in the final outcome.
    Hindsight is 20/20...

When your running game is going good but your star passer is having an off night...and we've got a good running qb on the bench...

And absolutely no sour grapes from Jalen after the game.

BamaNation First Team TAKEPRIDE22's Avatar

If he was going to do the roll out, he should have went wildcat with Jacobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
    It was a rough one to be at, we left at about the 8 minute mark only because we knew there would be no comeback and I didnít know what to expect as we were trying to find the train line and wanted to get out and back to SF

Same here. Plus, there was no need to sit through the Clemson celebration.

RTR

BamaNation Hall of Fame EscaTider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TideEngineer08 View Post
    This. He should've been brought in after the 2nd int, if nothing else other than to give Tua a chance to settle down and speak with Locks/Enos.