Jalen Hurts Enters Transfer Portal (Hurts transfers to OU)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Re: Just Heard On Radio "Jalen Hurts Enters Transfer Portal"

Ok, see how did Murray get a fifth year? He played a year at A&M, transferred and sat out a year , and played two years at OU. I know he didn’t redshirt, but I thought transferring burned a year of eligibility.
Pretty sure transferring doesn't burn a year. Just means you have to sit a year.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere

I just think Kyler Murray would get crushed in the NFL. Those guys are grown men and would absolutely break his bones. He is too small. Most all the running QB's have some success, but the defenses eventually catch up to them in that league.

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
Re: Just Heard On Radio "Jalen Hurts Enters Transfer Portial"

That's funny because almost a year ago there were people saying Mac Jones should be the backup and Hurts wasn't good enough for the job...

Now he's not good enough to be the backup even with Hurts gone. I'm confused.

That aside, I'm not sure what Mac Jones did between now and then to go from the deserving #2 guy to the #4 guy. Can a true freshman come in and pass him up? Sure, that's happened before. But do you really burn a redshirt on a true freshman backup? Only if he's demonstrably better than the other guy, and obviously that hasn't been demonstrated yet. It could happen, it probably won't. Wait till the A-Day game at least to start demoting people...

Mac Jones has the most experience, he knows the offense, he's familiar with Enos, he knows the players, even if he hasn't thrown much he's been in several games. He's also still just as talented as that guy that was supposed to be #2 after the A-Day game, so you know there's that to. What I do know for sure though is as of right now he provides important depth and experience at the position.

I'm getting the feeling that Mac Jone's "sin" is that he wasn't good enough to surpass Jalen Hurts and thus isn't good enough to surpass anyone else either, or something along those lines...

I appreciate your pettiness contributing to the conversation. Hurts is why Alabama won the SEC championship this year and he exemplifies everything Alabama should want in an athlete. I'd be proud to be his dad.
You get riled up too easily. I am not demoting anyone. I am simply saying Jones' "experience" is pretty much non-existent at this point. He hasn't done anything to earn a demotion, but he hasn't done anything since A Day to earn that backup spot, either. I hope he does. I like the kid. But I like all of our guys. As for the redshirt, Saban has shown repeatedly that he does not care what any of us think in terms of whether to burn a redshirt or not. He plays whoever he believes gives us the best chance to win right then.

And none of that sounds like a denial to me, by the way.

Last edited:

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

If I'm not mistaken (good chance there is) - making a lot of money isn't guaranteed in baseball like it is in football. He got the ~$4.5 million signing bonus, but I think he'll have to work his way up through the farm league before he plays MLB. That may take a short time, but it could also take a decade. NFL money is guaranteed day one, so if he goes in the first round (which is almost guaranteed, I'd think, despite is tiny stature) he'd be contractually guaranteed a lot of cash, right out of the gate.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong here...
Yup - Ask BA: Financially Kyler Murray Would Do Better In The NFL?

"Murray has a $4.6 million guaranteed signing bonus in hand that he will be fully paid as long as he reports and plays baseball going forward (the contract specifically allowed him to play for Oklahoma this fall). But in baseball, that $4.6 million is the only significant payday he will receive for the next five to seven seasons. Considering he has less at-bats under his belt than his peers, he’s likely two to three seasons away from reaching the majors. And then he would be another three seasons away from arbitration. So his first big payday for baseball would likely not come until 2023 or 2024. His first chance at free agency would likely come after the 2026 or 2027 seasons. At that point, Murray will be 29 or 30, which means he’s likely to get one significant free-agent contract if he ends up being a very productive regular.

In football, Murray is consistently projected as a first-round pick. His college teammate Baker Mayfield landed a $21.8 million signing bonus and over $32 million in guaranteed money by being the No. 1 pick in last year’s draft (all contract information here has been gathered from Spotrac.com). And if he plays reasonably well, Mayfield will get a big payday as a free agent after the 2022 season. Even if he signed a five-year extension, Mayfield would hit free agency again in 2028 for a second big payday."

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL

To me, the obvious choices would be the Texas schools- Houston, TCU, possibly Baylor. Close to home.

I’m wondering if Jalen would fit for someone like Neal Brown and his offense at West Virginia

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

You get riled up too easily. I am not demoting anyone. I am simply saying Jones' "experience" is pretty much non-existent at this point. He hasn't done anything to earn a demotion, but he hasn't done anything since A Day to earn that backup spot, either.
Not that we've seen - but few of us are privy to practice information.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA

If I'm not mistaken (good chance there is) - making a lot of money isn't guaranteed in baseball like it is in football. He got the ~$4.5 million signing bonus, but I think he'll have to work his way up through the farm league before he plays MLB. That may take a short time, but it could also take a decade. NFL money is guaranteed day one, so if he goes in the first round (which is almost guaranteed, I'd think, despite is tiny stature) he'd be contractually guaranteed a lot of cash, right out of the gate.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong here...
I think you have that reversed, because until recently NFL money wasn’t guaranteed. THE NFL is the only league without guaranteed contracts. Now if he is a top 10 pick, he will get in the neighborhood of 25-33 million over 5 years with about 60% guaranteed. That’s just off memory of last years draft, it may be a little off. Now, it’s true he may have to a minor league club, but I’m sure the A’s think he’s going to stick or they wouldn’t have put up with his football stuff. In MLB the careers in general are longer and the pay is better.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

Agree with you totally on Jalen . It is my uninformed opinion but I am doubtful if Mack Jones will ever start for Alabama.
I don't think Mac will either mind you, but I think he's important for depth and should get his shot. I'd expect one of the true freshman to make strides their redshirt year though, but AJ beat out the more gifted Phillip Sims so know knows.

Consider this, if he leaves the most experienced backup is guy whose name I can't remember. I can't for the life of my understand why a less talented, less experienced guy should be the one to stay and Mac should go. I think he's #2 next year, and that's certainly the case if Hurts leaves as of right now. Someone would have to take the backup role from him. In either case if he leaves I think Alabama is worse for it, I expect Hurts to go, but Mac is important for maintaining depth and keeping Alabama's options open. If Mac leaves that could force Alabama to play Tua more and we don't want him staying in the game longer and getting banged up...
I worked for the AA Baybears their first year, and the financial status of the players was kind of interesting. You had some who obviously had money, and apparently the Padres liked giving Range Rovers as signing bonuses, but there was one guy driving a Yugo (league All-Star by the way), but a lot of guys had jobs during the off-season. Minor league ball in and of itself won't pay much, it is more the signing bonus and the like.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

I think you have that reversed, because until recently NFL money wasn’t guaranteed. THE NFL is the only league without guaranteed contracts. Now if he is a top 10 pick, he will get in the neighborhood of 25-33 million over 5 years with about 60% guaranteed. That’s just off memory of last years draft, it may be a little off. Now, it’s true he may have to a minor league club, but I’m sure the A’s think he’s going to stick or they wouldn’t have put up with his football stuff. In MLB the careers in general are longer and the pay is better.
https://www.tidefans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=307288&p=3370751&viewfull=1#post3370751

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

Minor league ball in and of itself won't pay much, it is more the signing bonus and the like.
Had a good friend who played in the minors back in the mid-90s, he made hardly anything playing ball. None of the do, unless they make the majors.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017

"Murray has a $4.6 million guaranteed signing bonus in hand that he will be fully paid as long as he reports and plays baseball going forward (the contract specifically allowed him to play for Oklahoma this fall). But in baseball, that $4.6 million is the only significant payday he will receive for the next five to seven seasons. Considering he has less at-bats under his belt than his peers, he’s likely two to three seasons away from reaching the majors. And then he would be another three seasons away from arbitration. So his first big payday for baseball would likely not come until 2023 or 2024. His first chance at free agency would likely come after the 2026 or 2027 seasons. At that point, Murray will be 29 or 30, which means he’s likely to get one significant free-agent contract if he ends up being a very productive regular.

In football, Murray is consistently projected as a first-round pick. His college teammate Baker Mayfield landed a $21.8 million signing bonus and over $32 million in guaranteed money by being the No. 1 pick in last year’s draft (all contract information here has been gathered from Spotrac.com). And if he plays reasonably well, Mayfield will get a big payday as a free agent after the 2022 season. Even if he signed a five-year extension, Mayfield would hit free agency again in 2028 for a second big payday."
For immediate return it would work out for him for sure. I just have doubts about his ability to get to a 2nd contract in the NFL and from what I've heard he is a promising baseball player(I know nothing about baseball). I think long term for his health and financially MLB makes more sense. But hey, its not my life and he pretty clearly seems to prefer Football.

Plus the injury risk is so much greater.

EDIT: MLB contracts I think tend to be fully guaranteed. NFL contracts are rarely. But, the exception is rookies and rookie QBs. 1st round rookies get mostly if not fully guaranteed contracts nowadays I believe.

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx

Not that we've seen - but few of us are privy to practice information.
True. But we all know that Coach Saban preaches that he lets the best players play. One could not be blamed for coming to the conclusion that Jones' lack of playing time was an indicator that his play at the position was deemed to be lower than that of Jalen's. I will say again that I think Jalen did make a big improvement this year, and I am proud of him for doing so, and I thought he 100% deserved his moment of glory he got to enjoy in the SECCG. But we need to have a better backup for Tua than one who could not take the #2 spot from Jalen. Of course, that could be what we get in an improved Jones just as easily (or maybe more so) as from one of the two incoming freshmen. But I would not be totally shocked to see one of those two take it at all.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

we need to have a better backup for Tua than one who could not take the #2 spot from Jalen.
Called it...
I'm getting the feeling that Mac Jone's "sin" is that he wasn't good enough to surpass Jalen Hurts and thus isn't good enough to surpass anyone else either, or something along those lines...
Sorry, but there's only a handful quarterbacks in college football that could have had any sort of shot at taking the backup job from Hurts, and even then it is doubtful. That says practically nothing about Mac's abilities and far more about your opinion of Hurts.

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx

Called it...

Sorry, but there's only a handful quarterbacks in college football that could have had any sort of shot at taking the backup job from Hurts, and even then it is doubtful. That says practically nothing about Mac Jones abilities and far more about your opinion of Hurts.
You say that because you think Jalen is a better QB than he is. I think he is a super kid and great athlete who did manage to do some amazing things at times (like the SECCG). But I still do not think he is a good QB, at least not as a passing one. We have the most talented roster in college football, and just OK is not good enough when it comes to playing any position for us, and certainly not QB. Again, I think he is an outstanding guy. He can date my daughter. But I don't want him playing QB at Alabama.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011

Wonder what the QB situation is at Maryland.....
It’s Maryland. Unless Boomer Esiason is coming back, it probably isn’t that good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011

There is also a much higher risk of long term physical problems playing football. Having $4.6 million (minus taxes) in the bank at age 21 should have you set for life unless you go crazy.

He may only have one big free agency contract coming in baseball, but I would advise him to go that route.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007

Called it...

Sorry, but there's only a handful quarterbacks in college football that could have had any sort of shot at taking the backup job from Hurts, and even then it is doubtful. That says practically nothing about Mac's abilities and far more about your opinion of Hurts.
You say that because you think Jalen is a better QB than he is. I think he is a super kid and great athlete who did manage to do some amazing things at times (like the SECCG). But I still do not think he is a good QB, at least not as a passing one. We have the most talented roster in college football, and just OK is not good enough when it comes to playing any position for us, and certainly not QB. Again, I think he is an outstanding guy. He can date my daughter. But I don't want him playing QB at Alabama.
You have made that abundantly clear, but he's still an all time great Alabama quarterback.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

If not here then I think he's gonna go to University of Houston and toss it around in the Holgs air raid variant to improve his viability as a passer in the eyes of NFL scouts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.