Jalen Hurts Enters Transfer Portal (Hurts transfers to OU) - Page 5
Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst 12345678910111215 ... LastLast
    BamaNation All-American

Re: Just Heard On Radio "Jalen Hurts Enters Transfer Portal"

Quote Originally Posted by owenfieldreams View Post
    KM may very well come back for his last year at OU. Riley is meeting with Murray and his parents this week. The possibility is he plays pro ball in the summer and returns for his final season in Norman. If not, Hurts would be a bridge to Rattler and Rattlern would RS.
    Crazy to me that he would come back. I could see taking a shot at the NFL I guess but even that seems a bit crazy to me.

BamaNation All-SEC

KM may very well come back for his last year at OU. Riley is meeting with Murray and his parents this week. The possibility is he plays pro ball in the summer and returns for his final season in Norman. If not, Hurts would be a bridge to Rattler and Rattlern would RS.
    Kinda surprised by this but I get it. Just thought him being gone was a foregone conclusion. Would make next season very interesting indeed.

Saw that the first time you said it a few spots up. Must be nice to have a few million in the bank while strolling around campus, for possibly two years now.

BamaNation All-SEC

Re: Just Heard On Radio "Jalen Hurts Enters Transfer Portial"

Quote Originally Posted by KrAzY3 View Post
    That's funny because almost a year ago there were people saying Mac Jones should be the backup and Hurts wasn't good enough for the job...

Now he's not good enough to be the backup even with Hurts gone. I'm confused.

That aside, I'm not sure what Mac Jones did between now and then to go from the deserving #2 guy to the #4 guy. Can a true freshman come in and pass him up? Sure, that's happened before. But do you really burn a redshirt on a true freshman backup? Only if he's demonstrably better than the other guy, and obviously that hasn't been demonstrated yet. It could happen, it probably won't. Wait till the A-Day game at least to start demoting people...

Mac Jones has the most experience, he knows the offense, he's familiar with Enos, he knows the players, even if he hasn't thrown much he's been in several games. He's also still just as talented as that guy that was supposed to be #2 after the A-Day game, so you know there's that to. What I do know for sure though is as of right now he provides important depth and experience at the position.

I'm getting the feeling that Mac Jone's "sin" is that he wasn't good enough to surpass Jalen Hurts and thus isn't good enough to surpass anyone else either, or something along those lines...

I appreciate your pettiness contributing to the conversation. Hurts is why Alabama won the SEC championship this year and he exemplifies everything Alabama should want in an athlete. I'd be proud to be his dad.
    Agree with you totally on Jalen . It is my uninformed opinion but I am doubtful if Mack Jones will ever start for Alabama.

BamaNation All-SEC

Quote Originally Posted by tide96 View Post
    Good luck Jalen if this is what you chose to do, but please don't pick Auburn. That would be like your best friend dating your ex, while making a sex tape with her that goes public and all of your friends and family see it ... and he gets her pregnant at the same time.
    Fixed it for you

Ok, see how did Murray get a fifth year? He played a year at A&M, transferred and sat out a year , and played two years at OU. I know he didnít redshirt, but I thought transferring burned a year of eligibility.
    to 16 and beyond........

Quote Originally Posted by RollTide_HTTR View Post
    Crazy to me that he would come back. I could see taking a shot at the NFL I guess but even that seems a bit crazy to me.
    If I'm not mistaken (good chance there is) - making a lot of money isn't guaranteed in baseball like it is in football. He got the ~$4.5 million signing bonus, but I think he'll have to work his way up through the farm league before he plays MLB. That may take a short time, but it could also take a decade. NFL money is guaranteed day one, so if he goes in the first round (which is almost guaranteed, I'd think, despite is tiny stature) he'd be contractually guaranteed a lot of cash, right out of the gate.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong here...
    Oderint dum metuant - Lucius Accius

Quote Originally Posted by bamaga View Post
    Ok, see how did Murray get a fifth year? He played a year at A&M, transferred and sat out a year , and played two years at OU. I know he didn’t redshirt, but I thought transferring burned a year of eligibility.
    Nope, you have five years to play four, essentially. No different than a RS or medical RS.

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by bamaga View Post
    Ok, see how did Murray get a fifth year? He played a year at A&M, transferred and sat out a year , and played two years at OU. I know he didn’t redshirt, but I thought transferring burned a year of eligibility.
    Pretty sure transferring doesn't burn a year. Just means you have to sit a year.

I just think Kyler Murray would get crushed in the NFL. Those guys are grown men and would absolutely break his bones. He is too small. Most all the running QB's have some success, but the defenses eventually catch up to them in that league.

BamaNation All-SEC

Quote Originally Posted by KrAzY3 View Post
    That's funny because almost a year ago there were people saying Mac Jones should be the backup and Hurts wasn't good enough for the job...

Now he's not good enough to be the backup even with Hurts gone. I'm confused.

That aside, I'm not sure what Mac Jones did between now and then to go from the deserving #2 guy to the #4 guy. Can a true freshman come in and pass him up? Sure, that's happened before. But do you really burn a redshirt on a true freshman backup? Only if he's demonstrably better than the other guy, and obviously that hasn't been demonstrated yet. It could happen, it probably won't. Wait till the A-Day game at least to start demoting people...

Mac Jones has the most experience, he knows the offense, he's familiar with Enos, he knows the players, even if he hasn't thrown much he's been in several games. He's also still just as talented as that guy that was supposed to be #2 after the A-Day game, so you know there's that to. What I do know for sure though is as of right now he provides important depth and experience at the position.

I'm getting the feeling that Mac Jone's "sin" is that he wasn't good enough to surpass Jalen Hurts and thus isn't good enough to surpass anyone else either, or something along those lines...

I appreciate your pettiness contributing to the conversation. Hurts is why Alabama won the SEC championship this year and he exemplifies everything Alabama should want in an athlete. I'd be proud to be his dad.
    You get riled up too easily. I am not demoting anyone. I am simply saying Jones' "experience" is pretty much non-existent at this point. He hasn't done anything to earn a demotion, but he hasn't done anything since A Day to earn that backup spot, either. I hope he does. I like the kid. But I like all of our guys. As for the redshirt, Saban has shown repeatedly that he does not care what any of us think in terms of whether to burn a redshirt or not. He plays whoever he believes gives us the best chance to win right then.

And none of that sounds like a denial to me, by the way.
    Last edited by RedWave; January 9th, 2019 at 02:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonaudio View Post
    If I'm not mistaken (good chance there is) - making a lot of money isn't guaranteed in baseball like it is in football. He got the ~$4.5 million signing bonus, but I think he'll have to work his way up through the farm league before he plays MLB. That may take a short time, but it could also take a decade. NFL money is guaranteed day one, so if he goes in the first round (which is almost guaranteed, I'd think, despite is tiny stature) he'd be contractually guaranteed a lot of cash, right out of the gate.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong here...
    Yup - Ask BA: Financially Kyler Murray Would Do Better In The NFL?

"Murray has a $4.6 million guaranteed signing bonus in hand that he will be fully paid as long as he reports and plays baseball going forward (the contract specifically allowed him to play for Oklahoma this fall). But in baseball, that $4.6 million is the only significant payday he will receive for the next five to seven seasons. Considering he has less at-bats under his belt than his peers, he’s likely two to three seasons away from reaching the majors. And then he would be another three seasons away from arbitration. So his first big payday for baseball would likely not come until 2023 or 2024. His first chance at free agency would likely come after the 2026 or 2027 seasons. At that point, Murray will be 29 or 30, which means he’s likely to get one significant free-agent contract if he ends up being a very productive regular.

In football, Murray is consistently projected as a first-round pick. His college teammate Baker Mayfield landed a $21.8 million signing bonus and over $32 million in guaranteed money by being the No. 1 pick in last year’s draft (all contract information here has been gathered from Spotrac.com). And if he plays reasonably well, Mayfield will get a big payday as a free agent after the 2022 season. Even if he signed a five-year extension, Mayfield would hit free agency again in 2028 for a second big payday."

To me, the obvious choices would be the Texas schools- Houston, TCU, possibly Baylor. Close to home.

Iím wondering if Jalen would fit for someone like Neal Brown and his offense at West Virginia