Jalen Hurts Enters Transfer Portal (Hurts transfers to OU)

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Re: Just Heard On Radio "Jalen Hurts Enters Transfer Portial"

That's funny because almost a year ago there were people saying Mac Jones should be the backup and Hurts wasn't good enough for the job...

Now he's not good enough to be the backup even with Hurts gone. I'm confused.

That aside, I'm not sure what Mac Jones did between now and then to go from the deserving #2 guy to the #4 guy. Can a true freshman come in and pass him up? Sure, that's happened before. But do you really burn a redshirt on a true freshman backup? Only if he's demonstrably better than the other guy, and obviously that hasn't been demonstrated yet. It could happen, it probably won't. Wait till the A-Day game at least to start demoting people...

Mac Jones has the most experience, he knows the offense, he's familiar with Enos, he knows the players, even if he hasn't thrown much he's been in several games. He's also still just as talented as that guy that was supposed to be #2 after the A-Day game, so you know there's that to. What I do know for sure though is as of right now he provides important depth and experience at the position.

I'm getting the feeling that Mac Jone's "sin" is that he wasn't good enough to surpass Jalen Hurts and thus isn't good enough to surpass anyone else either, or something along those lines...

I appreciate your pettiness contributing to the conversation. Hurts is why Alabama won the SEC championship this year and he exemplifies everything Alabama should want in an athlete. I'd be proud to be his dad.
Problem with NOT removing redshirt off of one of our Freshmen is both of these guys are good enough that they may leave after their Jr. year anyway. OR...
One might transfer for playing time.

Either way if one of the Freshmen are better than Mac, I can make a case to play them as backup, to get them some playing time... Just in case.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.

Wanna know how I can tell that you get too worked up when anyone says a slightly negative thing about Hurts? I still think you might be his dad.
If this was in Blue Print, that's one thing... BUT...
It looks a little insulting on the face of it.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Re: Just Heard On Radio "Jalen Hurts Enters Transfer Portal"

KM may very well come back for his last year at OU. Riley is meeting with Murray and his parents this week. The possibility is he plays pro ball in the summer and returns for his final season in Norman. If not, Hurts would be a bridge to Rattler and Rattlern would RS.
that would be a huge mistake imho.

irNate

1st Team
Nov 19, 2010
Snellville, GA

He has started following a Miami O-lineman and also Manny Diaz. So they may be in the mix too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

owenfieldreams

Big-12 All American
Sep 8, 2002
galveston tx. usa
delpapabud.com

I for one think Hurts to OU is a long shot, but if you feel it’s 50/50 , you might want to look at a sports book, because OU is going off at +2000 right now
I am not sure what the sports book has to do with any of this unless this is your attempt to somehow relegate OU to secondary status. We are simply talking about one position at one program that happens to involve a player from the same position at another school. Hurts will make his decision based on what he thinks is best for him. If he goes somewhere else OU will start one of 3 QB 's in 2019: Austin Kendall, Tanner Mordecai, or Spencer Rattler. If Hurts comes to OU, I think Kendall transfers, Rattler RS's, and Hurts and Mordecai battle it out for the starting position.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA

I am not sure what the sports book has to do with any of this unless this is your attempt to somehow relegate OU to secondary status. We are simply talking about one position at one program that happens to involve a player from the same position at another school. Hurts will make his decision based on what he thinks is best for him. If he goes somewhere else OU will start one of 3 QB 's in 2019: Austin Kendall, Tanner Mordecai, or Spencer Rattler. If Hurts comes to OU, I think Kendall transfers, Rattler RS's, and Hurts and Mordecai battle it out for the starting position.
No, it’s not a comment on OU’s chances , status or anything. The comment is at face value. If you feel that strongly, there is an opportunity to make easy money! And a lot of it. My opinion was the only comment on OUs chances. That was strictly my opinion, just like the 50/50 was you opinion. At this point, I doubt any school has a 50/50 shot, as Jalen is in his first day of talking to other coaches/teams.

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com

Texas_tide

Scout Team
Oct 16, 2018

I read that if Murray comes back for another season of football, he has to return the $$$ (contract language).
I believe he only got a portion of the 4.6 million. Easily returnable with NFL endorsement deals.

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004

They’ll redshirt Rattler. I honestly think Hurts would win the heisman at OU over Trevor Lawrence at Clemson next season if given the opportunity to start in Norman.
It would be really interesting to see how Jalen would do in Riley's offense at OU, especially since so many people think the success of Mayfield and Murray was due to his system.

And I think Tua wins the Heisman next year, not Lawrence.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

I read that if Murray comes back for another season of football, he has to return the $$$ (contract language).
From what I've read he hasn't been paid the money yet - at least not the $4.5M signing bonus. That's what he would get when / if he reports to the Oakland As this Spring. I could have misinterpreted but that's how I understood it..

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

From what I've read he hasn't been paid the money yet - at least not the $4.5M signing bonus. That's what he would get when / if he reports to the Oakland As this Spring. I could have misinterpreted but that's how I understood it..
He'd be wise to stick with baseball. With him being the 9th overall pick he will not get lost in the minor league system. The A's will give him every opportunity to make it in the Show. A lot more opportunity than someone drafted in the 20th round.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

This article from last night indicates he has the signing bonus (would have to return it if he goes to the NFL) but won't get his $4.6 million for the year if he doesn't report to camp.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA

I’m also assuming your confidence is the report that Jalens father reached out to Lincoln Riley. I’ve seen/ heard that his father has talked to several schools . Assessing their needs and Jalens ability to start at each location.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

He'd be wise to stick with baseball. With him being the 9th overall pick he will not get lost in the minor league system. The A's will give him every opportunity to make it in the Show. A lot more opportunity than someone drafted in the 20th round.
It really depends. Under the assumption that he would be a superstar in either sport he'd be wiser to choose baseball because of the guaranteed contracts and increased player longevity. However, if he were to flame out in both it'd be better to go in the NFL draft because he'd at least make a boatload of his contract from being drafted with the 1st pick or high in the first round. Really hard to say without knowing how each would turn out. About 50% of MLB first rounders make the majors and it's about the same percentage of first round QBs who turn out to be stars..

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004

Either way, he's going to have an insane amount of money thrown at him from either the NFL or MLB. I agree that he would be smart to play baseball. I think he'd have a longer, more successful career. And he wouldn't get crushed by 300 pound DLs and 250 pound LBs on the baseball diamond.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Right, but what's the signing bonus amount? Sounds like it's separate from the $4.6 million..
Ahh... Thought the post was in reference to the signing bonus. The signing bonus was $5 million, btw.

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx

https://www.al.com/expo/sports/g66l-2019/01/635ab0ce409699/jalen-hurts-potential-transfer.html

The two places that make the most IMHO sense are Ga Tech and Houston. I think he will do very well anywhere he goes if given a chance. But, matching desire, team prospects, coaching, and academics, these two are probably a great match for Jalen. But, I know nothing! :)
I think he might be a good fit at Ga Tech, actually. This will be a transition year for them, anyway, as they try to move out of the wishbone type of offense into something more typical of a major program, whether that be old school pro-style, spread, west coast (does anyone use this anymore?), etc. One would wonder if they even have a QB at all right now ready to play in a non-option offense. Jalen is. And he can still tuck the ball and run when he needs to. I am not sold that this situation would set him up for better odds of getting into the NFL though.

I am curious, though, because I know nothing about this part. What are Jalen's academics like? What was his major? Is this something he could use in a masters' program at Ga Tech? I know that is a big time engineering school with higher academic standards than most, but I am guessing they probably do have other masters' programs outside of that realm as well, right? For all I know, Jalen could be an engineering major himself, so this question may not matter anyway.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa

Problem with NOT removing redshirt off of one of our Freshmen is both of these guys are good enough that they may leave after their Jr. year anyway. OR...
One might transfer for playing time.

Either way if one of the Freshmen are better than Mac, I can make a case to play them as backup, to get them some playing time... Just in case.
If one of them is better than Mac Jones, I'm sure he will be the backup. I doubt one of them will be better. I think all three of them were rated about the same coming out of high school, but Mac has been in the program for two years. He has the experience and maturity edge on both of them. If one or both of them surpass Mac, it will be impressive on their parts.

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA

I think he might be a good fit at Ga Tech, actually. This will be a transition year for them, anyway, as they try to move out of the wishbone type of offense into something more typical of a major program, whether that be old school pro-style, spread, west coast (does anyone use this anymore?), etc. One would wonder if they even have a QB at all right now ready to play in a non-option offense. Jalen is. And he can still tuck the ball and run when he needs to. I am not sold that this situation would set him up for better odds of getting into the NFL though.

I am curious, though, because I know nothing about this part. What are Jalen's academics like? What was his major? Is this something he could use in a masters' program at Ga Tech? I know that is a big time engineering school with higher academic standards than most, but I am guessing they probably do have other masters' programs outside of that realm as well, right? For all I know, Jalen could be an engineering major himself, so this question may not matter anyway.
GT has liberal arts/ non engineering programs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.