Jalen Hurts Enters Transfer Portal (Hurts transfers to OU)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tide96

All-SEC
Oct 4, 2005
Re: Just Heard On Radio "Jalen Hurts Enters Transfer Portial"

Good luck Jalen if this is what you chose to do, but please don't pick Auburn. That would be like your best friend dating your ex.

MTGYBama

Sep 12, 2018
Prattville, AL
Re: Just Heard On Radio "Jalen Hurts Enters Transfer Portal"

If he indeed does transfer, I wish him the best! He's is/has been a great representative for the university and how to handle adversity with class. I think we'll have some more attrition from that position and others (not juniors leaving for the draft) in the coming weeks.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

I figured this was coming, but you honestly cannot blame him.

Nor can any of us say a single word against him.

He has done far more than anyone should have been expecting when he fumbled his first snap against USC.

He's contributed to 3 national title experiences in 3 years.

That's almost impossible to top much less expect.

Good luck, young man.

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx

I am not saying he won't go to Maryland. But wasn't Locksley the coach of the WR's when there was nearly a mutiny caused by Jalen not being a good enough passing QB? Looks like a two-sided bad fit to me, not that Locksley necessarily agreed with the WR's but he has first-hand knowledge of what receivers think of Hurts.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

Honestly, I could see Mac Jones transferring as well. Other than being the holder, he won't see much playing time next year as I feel pretty confident that either Taulia and/or Paul Tyson could pass him on the chart.
That would be ill advised. Mac will only be a sophomore next season, he's in line to be the backup and have a shot at the job his junior season. The only reasons he should transfer would be if he ends up third string in the upcoming season. I have my doubts about that, not sure Saban is going to burn the redshirt of a backup QB when they have a starter like Tua and a relatively experienced backup.

Last edited:

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx

That would be ill advised. Mac will only be a sophomore next season, he's in line to be the backup and have a shot at the job his junior season. The only reasons he should transfer would be if he ends up third string in the upcoming season. I have my doubts about that, not sure Saban is going to burn the redshirt of a backup QB when they have a starter like Tua and a relatively experienced backup.
Not sure Jones qualifies as a relatively experienced backup.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham

I'm not a fan of this move. Not every university can offer Jerry Jeudy, Henry Ruggs, Devonta Smith, and Jalen Waddle to make to throw to. I have no doubt these guys make every quarterback they play with look better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

Not sure Jones qualifies as a relatively experienced backup.
Third year on campus... same as Hurts this year actually.

I am not saying he won't go to Maryland. But wasn't Locksley the coach of the WR's when there was nearly a mutiny caused by Jalen not being a good enough passing QB? Looks like a two-sided bad fit to me, not that Locksley necessarily agreed with the WR's but he has first-hand knowledge of what receivers think of Hurts.
He also knows both sides of the story, which was that Daboll couldn't draw up plays for Hurts and Locksley was the one that had to do it. Hurts did far better under Locksley this year, a 46 point jump in rating. Daboll was undermining Hurts, and I'm sure Locksley knows that. Anyone at this point who simply considered Hurts incompetent, after his play this season, after what he did against Georgia, is obviously blinded by their bias.

Texas_tide

Scout Team
Oct 16, 2018

I heard that this week Jalens parents were looking at real estate in Fort Worth.

TCU is a QB away from being a much better and competitive team.

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame

I'm not a fan of this move. Not every university can offer Jerry Jeudy, Henry Ruggs, Devonta Smith, and Jalen Waddle to make to throw to. I have no doubt these guys make every quarterback they play with look better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jalen only gets to throw to those guys in practice and mop up duty though.
I can't blame him. I can help think "what if" he were given some RPO's on all those turnovers on downs we had Monday night. I felt Jalen deserved some kind of role in our offense after the UGA game, but short of a few (productive, I might add) snaps against OU, he stood on the sidelines.

I'm not suggesting he should have replaced Tua, I just think our coaching underutilized a very talented player that possibly could have helped spark our team.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

Any place but Auburn even Tn. I can live with.
He's best off heading to someplace like the Big 12 where they don't play defense. He might not have elite WRs to pass to but he won't have to face elite defenses either, so he'd have a chance to showcase his skills.

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx

He also knows both sides of the story, which was that Daboll couldn't draw up plays for Hurts and Locksley was the one that had to do it. Hurts did far better under Locksley this year, a 46 point jump in rating. Daboll was undermining Hurts, and I'm sure Locksley knows that. Anyone at this point who simply considered Hurts incompetent, after his play this season, after what he did against Georgia, is obviously blinded by their bias.
First, can we say that Hurts' improvement was because of Locksley, or was it the coaching at his position by Enos? I don't know the answer to that, but I do wonder. But I also doubt Hurts' struggles were a result of Daboll "undermining Hurts." The guy was simply calling the plays that should/would have been successful if Jalen was running the plays as designed, making good decisions, making the throws he needed to make, etc. Jalen definitely improved on that this season. And has been a first class kid all along. I really want him to be successful in anything he tries to do. But you and I definitely disagree on opinions of how good he is at the QB position. I also have said why I think he is as far behind as he is(was). I think he can get better. I just am not sure who the right coach is to get him there.

As for Jones, I don't see the two years on the bench and coming out to hand the ball off a few times as "experienced." I would be surprised if he is the #2 next year. Tua seems to, so far, have injury struggles, and the backup will need to play. I could easily see one of the two freshmen taking that spot.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

I also doubt Hurts' struggles were a result of Daboll "undermining Hurts."
Daboll had to get help to run option stuff. He's a mediocre pro guy, who had no clue how to use Hurts and who didn't want to use him either. That's just the facts of the situation as I understand them.

When you have an offensive coordinator who knows nothing about the college and and literally can't draw up plays for his quarterback, I know whose fault that is. Daboll's wanted to run his offense, and sorry but most college quarterbacks are not Tom Brady. His offense stinks this year to for the record, as it has most years, because... no Tom Brady.

Last edited:

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

Honestly, I could see Mac Jones transferring as well. Other than being the holder, he won't see much playing time next year as I feel pretty confident that either Taulia and/or Paul Tyson could pass him on the chart.
Mac needs to stay .... he will play lot of mop up game before transferring as a graduate.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL

I just hope it's not to AU. Really anywhere else and I'll fully support him..
Unfortunately I heard last week that this isn’t out of the realm of possibility if he were to transfer.

I don’t understand why but supposedly it would be a consideration.

I hope not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.