Jalen Hurts Enters Transfer Portal (Hurts transfers to OU)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
Re: Just Heard On Radio "Jalen Hurts Enters Transfer Portal"

I Read that article, but I also know the Hard cap in the NFL is $171 million and the soft cap in baseball is $206 million with 5 teams over that cap, divided amongst fewer players. So someone is getting paid somewhere. Unfortunately , Murray was drafted by the cheapest team in baseball. If memory serves , Aaron Rodgers signed the very first fully guaranteed contract in the history of the league this offseason. And all the oldest players in the NFL are all kickers. So that skews the age numbers quoted in the article. There are a few old guys playing QB like Breeze, Brady, etc. but That article cherry picks facts to support their position, which is OK. But Murray’s slight Frame and style of play would suggest his NFL career may be shorter than his MLB Career.

Last edited:

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017

If not here then I think he's gonna go to University of Houston and toss it around in the Holgs air raid variant to improve his viability as a passer in the eyes of NFL scouts.
That would be almost as fun for me as him going to UMD. My little sister goes to Houston right now(though she may be transferring) so I would hopefully get a chance to see him play

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA

Jalen’s leadership alone made him at least 2nd string. Even as a backup , if you watched the ESPN show on fall camp , you could see who the leader on offense was. The whole team listened to Jalen.

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx

Some of those teams are a bit surprising to see upon first glance. Like UCLA. Then when I thought about who their coach was, I could see that as a possibility, though I doubt he wants to go that far west. FAU would not likely set him up very well for going to the NFL, but I would bet he gets to play and we all have seen Kiffin make the most of what Jalen brings to the table. I don't think he fits well with Leach's type offense at WSU, though, but he did manage to make what's his name look good this year. I don't see any of the SEC teams mentioned as being very likely at all.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

KM may very well come back for his last year at OU. Riley is meeting with Murray and his parents this week. The possibility is he plays pro ball in the summer and returns for his final season in Norman. If not, Hurts would be a bridge to Rattler and Rattlern would RS.
That would be a huge risk, wouldn't it?

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Re: Just Heard On Radio "Jalen Hurts Enters Transfer Portial"

Honestly, I could see Mac Jones transferring as well. Other than being the holder, he won't see much playing time next year as I feel pretty confident that either Taulia and/or Paul Tyson could pass him on the chart.
I agree with Mac likely transferring. I like him and he is apparently a tough, smart young man, but if Taulia and Tyson are as good as advertised he won't start. He would be better off at a Group of 5 program where he could start for at least two years. As for Taulia and Tyson, I do not expect both of them to be in Tuscaloosa more than a year or two. It is what college quarterbacking has come to.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs

hearing that he in looking to follow Locksley to Maryland. Seems like a good move to me

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

I agree with Mac likely transferring. I like him and he is apparently a tough, smart young man, but if Taulia and Tyson are as good as advertised he won't start. He would be better off at a Group of 5 program where he could start for at least two years. As for Taulia and Tyson, I do not expect both of them to be in Tuscaloosa more than a year or two. It is what college quarterbacking has come to.
It'll be intesting to see how this unfolds and how CNS utilizes the new 4 game rule.

But first we'll get to see them in the A-day game since both are early enrollees.

They are such different specimens:

Taulia is build much more like his brother: shorter, compact, but a fast release and a strong arm.

Tyson is build much more like Trevor Lawrence: long, tall, but moves well and has a strong arm too.

Edit: As for Mac Jones, my uninformed opinion is those two freshmen may just have higher ceilings and bigger arms. I could see him getting passed by.

I'm tempted to start another thread just about next year's backup, but I'd like to see what Jalen is planning to do.

Last edited:

luvthat_TIDE

All-SEC
Aug 10, 2004

Can he still look at NFL option. May not be in his best interest. But not many QBs coming out.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

That's my thinking. I think the QB class is going to be much better next year.
Remember he can always redshirt, now that might not seem like an attractive option, but if he wants to prepare himself fully for the NFL, finding a place that handles QBs well and redshirting should be a possibility.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA

Remember he can always redshirt, now that might not seem like an attractive option, but if he wants to prepare himself fully for the NFL, finding a place that handles QBs well and redshirting should be a possibility.
I would think if he is willing to redshirt, he should do it at ALABAMA .

Loam

All-SEC
Oct 20, 2014

Word on the street here in Texas, is that Gary Patterson and TCU will open dialogue with Hurts. So maybe he becomes a TCU Frog. We'll see though. There are far worse places to go than TCU. Patterson is a good coach with tenure and TCU always seems to be a QB away of overtaking that Big 12 conference and doing good things. Hurts would fit in there with that TCU RPO/HUNH spread attack.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

I would think if he is willing to redshirt, he should do it at ALABAMA .
I don't think that's necessarily helpful longterm for either party.

I'm a big Hurts supporter, but if he stays it is as most to be a one year starter, right? And in return Alabama has to keep his seat warm, they can't really use him as a backup this season to preserve his redshirt, but they have to give him practice reps to keep him fresh, and all the while they have to try to keep the other young guys around and happy.

There's a lot of places he could go with a lot less depth and a lot less pressure. Not everyone has two 4 star/top ten quarterback recruits, and another top 20 guy stashed on the team as well. Some teams only have one decent quarterback and would be more than happy to give up practice reps to Hurts and to redshirt him, I have my doubts if Saban would go along with that.

Last edited:

Loam

All-SEC
Oct 20, 2014

What about A&M? (the Texas version)
No. He'll go to TCU before he goes to A&M. Frogs were one of the teams who actually recruited Hurts when he came out of HS. I think Hurts would make TCU a legit contender in that Big 12 conference. They always have good skilled position talent there. They just need a good QB.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA

No. He'll go to TCU before he goes to A&M. Frogs were one of the teams who actually recruited Hurts when he came out of HS. I think Hurts would make TCU a legit contender in that Big 12 conference. They always have good skilled position talent there. They just need a good QB.
I think TCU is a real good spot for him, playing in the big 12, throwing the ball all over the lot . If he wants to showcase his arm, I think that might be a very favorable spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.