Question: any thoughts to why CNS seemed so calm vs. his fiery self? - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    BamaNation All-SEC

Re: Question: any thoughts to why CNS seemed so calm vs. his fiery self?

Sorry ... couldn't pass on posting that one lol Thanks again to Elefantman
    Last edited by BAMAVILLE; January 9th, 2019 at 10:25 PM.

BamaNation Third Team

I just watched finebaum on firstake and stephen A. and he both said said looked like he had no edge...Paul said he was on the sideline and it looked different. so i'm not the only one.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

My thought during the game based only on the TV sideline shots was that he looked “disinterested” or “resigned”. Can’t be true but that’s what occurred to me as I watched the game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The man's been coaching for a long time and he knows when it's not gonna happen. Sometimes, you just have to accept you're taking a beating that night.

I also assume he realized (sounds like he recognized it even at half time) that they (the staff) had failed in preparing the guys.

Just what my gut is telling me. But I could be misinterpreting everything.
    Oderint dum metuant - Lucius Accius

BamaNation Hall of Fame CajunCrimson's Avatar

I agree. He looked like they didn’t have an edge.

But what I don’t get is why we didn’t play like we had a chance to win. From the clock mgmt in the 2nd quarter to the clock mgmt down 28 early in the 4th. We simply had no smoothness to anything we were doing.

I’m guessing he targets an OC who wants to just be an OC this time. I think that’s why he chose Daboll two years ago. I expect him to go that route.

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonaudio View Post
    The man's been coaching for a long time and he knows when it's not gonna happen. Sometimes, you just have to accept you're taking a beating that night.

I also assume he realized (sounds like he recognized it even at half time) that they (the staff) had failed in preparing the guys.

Just what my gut is telling me. But I could be misinterpreting everything.
    i saw a quote in one of the news articles that leading up to the game he had worried about the depth/experience on the back end of the d and if they would be able to tcb
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

- George Orwell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.

— Thomas Pynchon

BamaNation Hall of Fame Jack Bourbon's Avatar

It was telling that he ran a wildcat play on 4th down from deep in his own territory in the first half. Normally he'd never even think of doing that. He obviously had 0 confidence in the defense’s ability to stop Clemson’s passing. We’ve had ups and downs over the years on D, but this was different and Saban was obviously aware.

Aside from a few bad passing plays, we actually ran a lot of clock-killing rushing offense to keep our D off of the field. The time of possession in first half was heavily in our favor. But it didn’t matter—we were helpless to keep Clemson from scoring regardless of down or distance.

I agree with those who said we should have been running a deeper defensive rotation throughout the course of the season to give us at least a fighting chance in games like this. Having to make moves like switching Moses to pure edge rusher obviously didnt work—maybe a backup playing his practiced position, even if there is some dropoff, is the better solution. When you score 50 every time during the season you dont need to hold them under 10 just to keep up appearances.
    Last edited by Jack Bourbon; January 10th, 2019 at 07:12 AM.

BamaNation Hall of Fame bamacon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dvldog View Post
    My thought during the game based only on the TV sideline shots was that he looked “disinterested” or “resigned”. Can’t be true but that’s what occurred to me as I watched the game.

I think that actually was the second one. Sometimes as a coach you know it just isn’t your night. Now I honestly think if Bama and Clemson played 10 times Clemson would beat this team 8–10 times. They had the depth and the matchups and the will. This Bama team had serious flaws and most in here if they are honest can see that. That said, the offense could go score for score with Clemson. They could sneak a win or two by ball control but the defense would face the same issues each time. CNS saw this quickly. As a coach, it does change how you act or it least it did for me. Every coach has a game like it but usually they occur more often than every 13 years. With the amount of amazing talent Bama has faced over the last decade + it is ASTONISHING that we haven’t seen a game like this since 1997!!!!!!!!!!!! That’s why it was tough for me to get even slightly mad on Monday. I just smiled and shook my head.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Chukker Veteran's Avatar

Al.com had a link... what other areas of the country are saying about the Bama blowout. I finally looked and the national media is putting the loss squarely on Saban. I would imagine they welcomed a chance to criticize him as up til the last game there really was no legitimate criticism that would stick. Speculation is he's peaked and on the down side of his career but I think he just had a very rare off night.

Can a mellow Saban coach as well as a demanding, irritable Saban? Looks like we might get to see. Maybe a reporter will ask him a question he doesn't like and he can return to classic form.

Quote Originally Posted by Chukker Veteran View Post
    Al.com had a link... what other areas of the country are saying about the Bama blowout. I finally looked and the national media is putting the loss squarely on Saban. I would imagine they welcomed a chance to criticize him as up til the last game there really was no legitimate criticism that would stick. Speculation is he's peaked and on the down side of his career but I think he just had a very rare off night.

Can a mellow Saban coach as well as a demanding, irritable Saban? Looks like we might get to see. Maybe a reporter will ask him a question he doesn't like and he can return to classic form.
    they said the same thing in 2010, 2013, 2014 and 2015
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

- George Orwell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.

— Thomas Pynchon

I just went back and watched his post game presser. All I can say is Uh-Oh, I think we will have some coaching changes after signing day, JMO. As far as depth, he made the comment that ‘we had some issues with the guys that are not out there playing , that would of helped the depth this year’ his arms were crossed, you could see him simmering below the surface! There was no point in unloading. But the things he did say like , he felt the players did a good job in preparing for the game, he also said the coaches did not properly prepare the team, and that’s on him. That comment leads me to think there will be coaching changes, but after signing day!
    to 16 and beyond........

BamaNation Second Team

Quote Originally Posted by Chukker Veteran View Post
    I suspect that CNS will use this as a key motivator for the team and the staff in 2019. But I don't fault the press for criticizing him. The buck stops with the HC, especially when he pulls down $8 million a year. He would have gotten the glory if we had won, and he gets the criticism when we lose. Seems fair.

This team was not ready to play. That is on the staff, starting with CNS. He knows it, and I'll bet that he uses it to re-energize himself and the whole program this year. He is still the GOAT, but we got a reminder that that doesn't mean that he is infallible.

BamaNation Hall of Fame CrimsonForce's Avatar

I think Saban would have been more animated if we were getting blown out on the field but we weren't. We out gained them in yards until their last drive so we were playing well enough between the 20s to win but didn't execute in key situations i.e. 3rd down and red zone. So yea if we were getting out gained by 300 yards then I think he would've been ticked but we were able to do most of what we wanted to outside of key areas. With that being said he was probably trying to calm the team into executing in those key areas but it obviously didn't work. I don't think blowing up on the sideline would've helped anything. Even saw a clip of Saban riding on the golf cart to the locker room and he congratulated a Clemson fan who was walking by. Like Saban said in the press conference we have to know how to win and how to lose with class..