Question: any thoughts to why CNS seemed so calm vs. his fiery self?

daddybama1

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 10, 2018
I just watched the game again and every time they showed CNS, I never saw him angry, getting on players etc. He looked frustrated for sure but did not look like he did vs OU etc. Any thoughts?

bigjue24

Suspended
Dec 2, 2009
Okeechobee, FL
He tends to be calmer the closer the game is or when we are behind. He gets the maddest when dumb penalties or we are way ahead and not performing to the standard.

ptw1961

1st Team
Dec 8, 2011
Well, the standard was certainly not being met the other night. I am sure everyone will agree on that.
He tends to be calmer the closer the game is or when we are behind. He gets the maddest when dumb penalties or we are way ahead and not performing to the standard.

BAMA 22 HEISMAN

1st Team
Dec 13, 2009
If anyone needs Saban to fire them up or call them out to play for a national title, then we need to be looking at replacements.

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
Seems like he doesn't want to pile on when it is obviously going bad. I am sure the players already knew they were not playing well, and feeling bad enough as it is. The yelling tends to happen when they are doing well and maybe feeling too good about themselves.

irNate

1st Team
Nov 19, 2010
Snellville, GA
Saban said in an interview a few years ago that when the players are behind in a game his role is to be supportive and use positive motivation. But when they are ahead and not performing right he demands perfection and his motivation is slightly different

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

westide

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2011
Maybe he had some JD and Fireball before the game like I did. I was unusually calm also.

UAllday

3rd Team
Jan 17, 2018
He said in the post game that he was not comfortable with what we needed to do to cover their receivers. Not a direct quote but "comfortable" was the word used to describe the situation. Take that and then see how the game began and I honestly think he knew very early on that we were not the better team that night. He knew Clemson was more prepared, more fired up. I am not saying he threw the towel in, just that he knew any amount of yelling or anything else was not going to make up for the lack of focus and preparation.

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
He said in the post game that he was not comfortable with what we needed to do to cover their receivers. Not a direct quote but "comfortable" was the word used to describe the situation. Take that and then see how the game began and I honestly think he knew very early on that we were not the better team that night. He knew Clemson was more prepared, more fired up. I am not saying he threw the towel in, just that he knew any amount of yelling or anything else was not going to make up for the lack of focus and preparation.
I think that pretty well describes it. CNS gets upset when we are playing poorly against a team he thinks we should beat. OU was a team he felt we should beat so therefore he was very upset at times. He knew Clemson was different. After Dabo upgraded his QB position Saban knew this game would be like the first two where Deshaun Watson gave us all we could handle. I wonder how many of our players picked up on the fact that he was uncomfortable either before or during the game and thus made them uncomfortable as well.

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
Coach Saban is human after all. I'm sure it's not easy to hide your emotions after you've come so close to the prize and see it all melt away! As painful as it was to watch, we didn't have TV cameras in our face as he did.
I think he'll be back to his fiery self the day spring ball starts.

daddybama1

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 10, 2018
I just watched finebaum on firstake and stephen A. and he both said said looked like he had no edge...Paul said he was on the sideline and it looked different. so i'm not the only one.

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
My thought during the game based only on the TV sideline shots was that he looked “disinterested” or “resigned”. Can’t be true but that’s what occurred to me as I watched the game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
The man's been coaching for a long time and he knows when it's not gonna happen. Sometimes, you just have to accept you're taking a beating that night.

I also assume he realized (sounds like he recognized it even at half time) that they (the staff) had failed in preparing the guys.

Just what my gut is telling me. But I could be misinterpreting everything.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I agree. He looked like they didn’t have an edge.

But what I don’t get is why we didn’t play like we had a chance to win. From the clock mgmt in the 2nd quarter to the clock mgmt down 28 early in the 4th. We simply had no smoothness to anything we were doing.

I’m guessing he targets an OC who wants to just be an OC this time. I think that’s why he chose Daboll two years ago. I expect him to go that route.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
The man's been coaching for a long time and he knows when it's not gonna happen. Sometimes, you just have to accept you're taking a beating that night.

I also assume he realized (sounds like he recognized it even at half time) that they (the staff) had failed in preparing the guys.

Just what my gut is telling me. But I could be misinterpreting everything.
i saw a quote in one of the news articles that leading up to the game he had worried about the depth/experience on the back end of the d and if they would be able to tcb

Jack Bourbon

Hall of Fame
Aug 3, 2001
Miami FL
It was telling that he ran a wildcat play on 4th down from deep in his own territory in the first half. Normally he'd never even think of doing that. He obviously had 0 confidence in the defense’s ability to stop Clemson’s passing. We’ve had ups and downs over the years on D, but this was different and Saban was obviously aware.

Aside from a few bad passing plays, we actually ran a lot of clock-killing rushing offense to keep our D off of the field. The time of possession in first half was heavily in our favor. But it didn’t matter—we were helpless to keep Clemson from scoring regardless of down or distance.

I agree with those who said we should have been running a deeper defensive rotation throughout the course of the season to give us at least a fighting chance in games like this. Having to make moves like switching Moses to pure edge rusher obviously didnt work—maybe a backup playing his practiced position, even if there is some dropoff, is the better solution. When you score 50 every time during the season you dont need to hold them under 10 just to keep up appearances.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.