Question: any thoughts to why CNS seemed so calm vs. his fiery self?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    BamaNation Third Team

Question: any thoughts to why CNS seemed so calm vs. his fiery self?

I just watched the game again and every time they showed CNS, I never saw him angry, getting on players etc. He looked frustrated for sure but did not look like he did vs OU etc. Any thoughts?

BamaNation First Team

Re: Question: any thoughts to why CNS seemed so calm vs. his fiery self?

He tends to be calmer the closer the game is or when we are behind. He gets the maddest when dumb penalties or we are way ahead and not performing to the standard.

BamaNation First Team

Well, the standard was certainly not being met the other night. I am sure everyone will agree on that.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigjue24 View Post
    He tends to be calmer the closer the game is or when we are behind. He gets the maddest when dumb penalties or we are way ahead and not performing to the standard.

BamaNation First Team BAMA 22 HEISMAN's Avatar

If anyone needs Saban to fire them up or call them out to play for a national title, then we need to be looking at replacements.
    Vince Lombardi after being asked what it felt like to be the greatest football team in the world just after winning the '66 Super Bowl.-- "I don't know, we haven't played Alabama yet."

BamaNation Third Team

Quote Originally Posted by BAMA 22 HEISMAN View Post
    If anyone needs Saban to fire them up or call them out to play for a national title, then we need to be looking at replacements.
    agreed but he does it most of the time if we are not playing well...at least 1 time during a game like this...

BamaNation All-SEC

Seems like he doesn't want to pile on when it is obviously going bad. I am sure the players already knew they were not playing well, and feeling bad enough as it is. The yelling tends to happen when they are doing well and maybe feeling too good about themselves.

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bigjue24 View Post
    This is the answer, IMO

BamaNation First Team

Saban said in an interview a few years ago that when the players are behind in a game his role is to be supportive and use positive motivation. But when they are ahead and not performing right he demands perfection and his motivation is slightly different

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe he had some JD and Fireball before the game like I did. I was unusually calm also.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Tidewater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by westide View Post
    Maybe he had some JD and Fireball before the game like I did. I was unusually calm also.
    Is this your "stay calm" drink of choice?

BamaNation Second Team

He said in the post game that he was not comfortable with what we needed to do to cover their receivers. Not a direct quote but "comfortable" was the word used to describe the situation. Take that and then see how the game began and I honestly think he knew very early on that we were not the better team that night. He knew Clemson was more prepared, more fired up. I am not saying he threw the towel in, just that he knew any amount of yelling or anything else was not going to make up for the lack of focus and preparation.

BamaNation All-American PA Tide Fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by UAllday View Post
    He said in the post game that he was not comfortable with what we needed to do to cover their receivers. Not a direct quote but "comfortable" was the word used to describe the situation. Take that and then see how the game began and I honestly think he knew very early on that we were not the better team that night. He knew Clemson was more prepared, more fired up. I am not saying he threw the towel in, just that he knew any amount of yelling or anything else was not going to make up for the lack of focus and preparation.
    I think that pretty well describes it. CNS gets upset when we are playing poorly against a team he thinks we should beat. OU was a team he felt we should beat so therefore he was very upset at times. He knew Clemson was different. After Dabo upgraded his QB position Saban knew this game would be like the first two where Deshaun Watson gave us all we could handle. I wonder how many of our players picked up on the fact that he was uncomfortable either before or during the game and thus made them uncomfortable as well.

BamaNation All-American gtowntide's Avatar

Coach Saban is human after all. I'm sure it's not easy to hide your emotions after you've come so close to the prize and see it all melt away! As painful as it was to watch, we didn't have TV cameras in our face as he did.
    I think he'll be back to his fiery self the day spring ball starts.