2019 Federal government shut down and the wall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Valley View

3rd Team
Nov 7, 2016
Williamson County, TN
Just open the damned government then negotiate.
If he opens the govt there will be no need to negotiate. If he opens the govt the Dems will never give a penny to a wall.

I have a question. What is the opposition to the wall about? Most Dems including Obama have gone on record in the past for wanting a wall, now that Trump wants the wall all of a sudden no Dems want a wall anymore. It's obvious the Dems are just trying to deny Trump a win on a campaign promise regardless of what's best for the country. Trump has many faults, but he is not going to harm the country over pride or spite which is exactly what the Dems are doing.

Walls work, that's why Obama and Pelosi have walls around their homes. Lets be realistic here, we can't continue to let hundreds of people into the U.S. each day to drain tax dollars from citizens. Let's be honest too, a woman immigrant with children isn't going to be earning anything, she will be taking the whole time she is here and the first place she will go is to sign up for all the benefits she can get.

My heart goes out to these people, but just like I can't afford to adopt several families and pay for their food, shelter, health care, and lodging, neither can the country afford to take in every person who wants to come in. No one has a right to U.S. citizenship.

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
Trump has many faults, but he is not going to harm the country over pride or spite which is exactly what the Dems are doing.

Let's be honest too, a woman immigrant with children isn't going to be earning anything, she will be taking the whole time she is here and the first place she will go is to sign up for all the benefits she can get.
You had me until that first statement there that I am quoting. Trump does spiteful things all the time. On the second part that I quoted: why can't a woman immigrant earn anyyhing? Why will she immediately sign up for all the benefits?

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
It's obvious the Dems are just trying to deny Trump a win on a campaign promise regardless of what's best for the country. Trump has many faults, but he is not going to harm the country over pride or spite which is exactly what the Dems are doing.
If the wall is that important and necessary, why didn’t the GOP fund it at any point over the last two years, when the Dems couldn’t stop them? If it’s suddenly worth shutting down the government for a month or longer, why has it been such an afterthought during the Trump administration?

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
If Democrats give in to Trump and let him have the money, there is no way he'll ever negotiate anything! He will hold the country hostage again(shut down) anytime he doesn't get his way. How can you negotiate with a man that is a serial liar? After Mexico sends us the money, lets build Trump's wall and let Ann Coulter, Rush and Hannity be there for the grand reveal after it's built.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
If he opens the govt there will be no need to negotiate. If he opens the govt the Dems will never give a penny to a wall.

I have a question. What is the opposition to the wall about? Most Dems including Obama have gone on record in the past for wanting a wall, now that Trump wants the wall all of a sudden no Dems want a wall anymore. It's obvious the Dems are just trying to deny Trump a win on a campaign promise regardless of what's best for the country. Trump has many faults, but he is not going to harm the country over pride or spite which is exactly what the Dems are doing.

Walls work, that's why Obama and Pelosi have walls around their homes. Lets be realistic here, we can't continue to let hundreds of people into the U.S. each day to drain tax dollars from citizens. Let's be honest too, a woman immigrant with children isn't going to be earning anything, she will be taking the whole time she is here and the first place she will go is to sign up for all the benefits she can get.

My heart goes out to these people, but just like I can't afford to adopt several families and pay for their food, shelter, health care, and lodging, neither can the country afford to take in every person who wants to come in. No one has a right to U.S. citizenship.
Projection at its "finest". It would be hilarious that you think the most prideful and most spiteful person in the history of American politics - and there have been plenty who've been these things, but never to the degree of Trump - is not being prideful and spiteful and the democrats, who were not even presiding in the majority of the house when the shutdown began, are being those things if it weren't so serious. Really it is tragically comical.

I (and I'm not a democrat by any means) can only speak for myself in that at one point I foolishly supported a wall and though I do concede that they may be partially effective at certain key point with some legitimate goals the wall is no more important now than 5 weeks ago when Trump had a bill on his desk that he vetoed after working out a deal with his own party to sign it and keep the government going. This began with republicans firmly in control and only happened because Trump could not get his way with his own party.

A house is not a border. I repeat: A house is not a border. Equating the two is ludicrous and really deserves no further comment.

How many immigrants do you know - legal or illegal, personally? I have known several of both and I can't think of a single one that did not work to support themselves and their families. Not a single one. Admittedly, it is a handful of people, but statistics likely support my impression and refute yours. This so-called crisis is only in the imaginations of some people.

As a matter of fact, I can tell you of a certain legal immigrant woman with whom I worked who came here from South America with her husband. He was here on her green card (or whatever it was). He went out and got a job, was turned in by someone, and then told he could not legally work and let go from his job. This happened in Tuscaloosa not terribly long ago. Now how stupid and counterproductive is that?

I question the legitimacy of anyone who supports Trump stating that their heart goes out to immigrants after all he has done to unnecessarily rip their families apart and to try to deny them even a fair hearing on asylum as required by US and international law and treaty. The man who spouts "law and order" fosters just the opposite. The man who pleads over a humanitarian crisis on the border made a large portion of it come about by his actions. The man who appeals to empathy in a bid to get his way has no empathy.

The shutdown is fully of Trump's making. Don't believe me, believe him when he said just that himself. I repeat: Trump claimed full responsibility and ownership of the shutdown and nothing can take that back.

Trump is willing to let the entire country suffer while he behaves like a petulant toddler who can't get his way. Right now the main people feeling it are the hundreds of thousands of people who work for you and I, but it will not stay contained to our employees. It won't be long before everyone will be feeling it if it continues. When air traffic shuts down everything will go to hell without the luxury of a handbasket. When foodstamps and the like stop your local stores will be looted and you will fear for your safety. That is reality and it should not be forgotten. None of that is worth it as a price to pay to make democrats give in on something his own party couldn't get done. And that will just be the start. It will get much worse after that if not averted.

Trump is the only person who can stop this crisis before it worsens. And no, brainstorming with his own advisers does not count as "compromise". He simply needs to admit defeat, put the government back to work for we the people, and work out what he can get later. He has lost on a stupid, self-centered, and foolish gamble. Period.

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
This notion that opposing a wall is wanting open borders is ludicrous. I want a firm immigration policy but I oppose a 1,900 mile wall because a) there are better solutions involving technology and people b) the Feds took 38 years to build I22, all 220 miles of it so large scale construction doesn't seem a Federal strength and c) it's a rallying point now for hatred and demonization of brown people and I think that sucks.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
This notion that opposing a wall is wanting open borders is ludicrous. I want a firm immigration policy but I oppose a 1,900 mile wall because a) there are better solutions involving technology and people b) the Feds took 38 years to build I22, all 220 miles of it so large scale construction doesn't seem a Federal strength and c) it's a rallying point now for hatred and demonization of brown people and I think that sucks.
You can’t convince Trumpers of this. It’s MAGA GAGA. Drooling fools don’t know their rear ends from a hole in the ground (thank you Randy Neumann).
Will Hurd knows it; he lives it. He’s a Republican. He says we don’t need no stinking wall. But knuckle-dragging Trump sycophants will die thinking Trump knows more than he does - hell, Trump knows more about everything than anyone, according to him (and them).
THAT’S why most Americans oppose a wall. 160 immigrants (asylum seekers) just tunneled under part of an existing one two days ago, but it’s going to keep out the mongol horde.
All it will do is allow Trump and his mindless minions to pat themselves on the back; well, guess what? The vast majority of Americans are p****d at all of you for supporting this egotistical, lying, narcissistic criminal so we say “NO WALL”!!!!
Deal with it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama

MAWA

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
Trump confessing that his deal is in bad faith less than 24 hours after offering it:

“No, Amnesty is not a part of my offer. It is a 3 year extension of DACA. Amnesty will be used only on a much bigger deal, whether on immigration or something else. Likewise there will be no big push to remove the 11,000,000 plus people who are here illegally-but be careful Nancy!"

People are pawns and human suffering is leverage. On one hand, at least he’s transparent about it. On the other, his transparency makes it that much harder to respect anyone who still supports him.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Trump confessing that his deal is in bad faith less than 24 hours after offering it:

“No, Amnesty is not a part of my offer. It is a 3 year extension of DACA. Amnesty will be used only on a much bigger deal, whether on immigration or something else. Likewise there will be no big push to remove the 11,000,000 plus people who are here illegally-but be careful Nancy!"

People are pawns and human suffering is leverage. On one hand, at least he’s transparent about it. On the other, his transparency makes it that much harder to respect anyone who still supports him.

True in 2016 and true now.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA

Trump is a pathological liar so nothing he says can ever be trusted.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
That's some good kool aid yall have been drinking. Buzz Feed and CNN have succeeded.
And what you are drinking is better?

I’ve admitted plenty of times on this site that I voted for Trump. But I also don’t ignore facts (most of the time) and have had a change of heart. The only people drinking kool aid are those that blindly support the worst President this country has ever seen. Name one thing that is better now because of him?

The wall is a dumb idea that will not change a thing. You say walls work but, historically, they don’t. Just look at China’s history with a Great Wall, Berlin and it’s wall. Plus, from Trump’s own mouth, it will not be one continuous wall along the whole border, just in high priory areas. Because people wanting to come in illegally won’t just travel to an area without a wall.... riiiiight.

Asking the public to pay billons in taxes for something that will not even solve the problem is dumb. Plus, didn’t his campaign promise say Mexico would pay? Why do you guys who blindly follow this man give him a pass on that promise? There are better ways to fix the border, like using technology and more officers. That’s something, as a tax payer, I could support.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
And what you are drinking is better?

I’ve admitted plenty of times on this site that I voted for Trump. But I also don’t ignore facts (most of the time) and have had a change of heart. The only people drinking kool aid are those that blindly support the worst President this country has ever seen. Name one thing that is better now because of him?

The wall is a dumb idea that will not change a thing. You say walls work but, historically, they don’t. Just look at China’s history with a Great Wall, Berlin and it’s wall. Plus, from Trump’s own mouth, it will not be one continuous wall along the whole border, just in high priory areas. Because people wanting to come in illegally won’t just travel to an area without a wall.... riiiiight.

Asking the public to pay billons in taxes for something that will not even solve the problem is dumb. Plus, didn’t his campaign promise say Mexico would pay? Why do you guys who blindly follow this man give him a pass on that promise? There are better ways to fix the border, like using technology and more officers. That’s something, as a tax payer, I could support.
​It would be totally worth invading Mexico to take the $5 billion for the wall out of their treasury. The money we "invest" to do that will be money well spent.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

Um, name the walls which have worked. Try to keep to modern times, and national walls, not walls around houses...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.