2019 Federal government shut down and the wall

Status
Not open for further replies.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
You are overlooking something - the man won the EC by only 77K votes. You don't think he could lose that many of his base, if he doesn't deliver a wall of some kind? I think he's absolutely correct...
I don’t. Many people I know who voted for him don’t care about the wall and never did. Some still support him, some don’t.
Wall or no wall, he won’t get re-elected; highly doubtful he’ll even be able to run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Well played.

But I was talking about for 2020.....
He will still energize and turn out his 38-42%. Frankly, I don't think even the wall failure and shutdown will wound him seriously enough for his defeat, although I think he's smart to be wary of it, given the tiny margin of EC victory. I still believe that he will lose a lot of independents and voters who wanted "shake things up." Also, because of the general negativity surrounding HC, the people with the most to lose with a Trump presidency, the black and brown people, stayed home in droves. The question is whether or not the Democrats can turn out such a candidate. All they have to do is quit the foot-shooting...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I don’t. Many people I know who voted for him don’t care about the wall and never did. Some still support him, some don’t.
Wall or no wall, he won’t get re-elected; highly doubtful he’ll even be able to run.

Incumbency is a powerful tool. Also, even though the economy is being pumped up with what are normally recession-fighting tools, if the chickens come home to roost before 2020, his goose is cooked...

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
It will suffice if they become apathetic and just stay home. That's exactly how he got elected...
A microcosm of what might happen is how Doug Jones got elected. One unfit candidate (Moore) and another who had a drastically different worldview (Jones). So many Republicans stayed home to a large percentage, especially in the Birmingham metro area. Thus, Jones wins. I can see that happening on a national scale in 2020.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I would like to think the report from Mueller, showing Trump basically IS a Russian puppet, would sway his base against him, but at the same time, I realize the GOP has abandoned any sense of patriotism, and is ok with Trump teaming up with Putin to win.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
I would like to think the report from Mueller, showing Trump basically IS a Russian puppet, would sway his base against him, but at the same time, I realize the GOP has abandoned any sense of patriotism, and is ok with Trump teaming up with Putin to win.
I understand your position, and realize my opinion is biased - but when has either party ever been about anything other than money and power?

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
He will still energize and turn out his 38-42%. Frankly, I don't think even the wall failure and shutdown will wound him seriously enough for his defeat, although I think he's smart to be wary of it, given the tiny margin of EC victory. I still believe that he will lose a lot of independents and voters who wanted "shake things up." Also, because of the general negativity surrounding HC, the people with the most to lose with a Trump presidency, the black and brown people, stayed home in droves. The question is whether or not the Democrats can turn out such a candidate. All they have to do is quit the foot-shooting...
Would love to hear more about the last part of your post. Are you referring to how the HC campaign 'performed'? And specifically - how the DNC handled themselves in 2016?

Also - I don't think Trump will run in 2020....especially the way things are looking with the Mueller investigation.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Incumbency is a powerful tool. Also, even though the economy is being pumped up with what are normally recession-fighting tools, if the chickens come home to roost before 2020, his goose is cooked...
Mueller might bring the heat long before 2020....

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I understand your position, and realize my opinion is biased - but when has either party ever been about anything other than money and power?
When John Kerry was offered help under the table by one of our country's adversaries, he went straight to the FBI. When Trump was offered help from the Russians, he took advantage. Now we know Trump lied throughout his entire campaign about not working with the Russians, and was instead negotiating with them about building a Trump tower in Moscow that would put hundreds of million dollars in his pocket. In exchange for relaxing sanctions against Russian interests, which he has lobbied for in a very public fashion, evidently assuming his base is either too dumb, uninformed or racist for it to make any difference. So far, it looks like he knew his voters very well.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
When John Kerry was offered help under the table by one of our country's adversaries, he went straight to the FBI. When Trump was offered help from the Russians, he took advantage.
Yeah, I don't agree with universal cynicism here. There were many Democrats who voted for the ACA knowing it would end their political career. And it did, although history seems to have vindicated their choice. McCain could have let that racist woman tell lies about Obama's heritage during his town hall. As we see now with Trump, that would have surely helped his campaign. But he didn't.

Just because the current GOP is avoiding their constitutional duties through love of power and money does not mean this has always been the case.

Last edited:

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
When John Kerry was offered help under the table by one of our country's adversaries, he went straight to the FBI. When Trump was offered help from the Russians, he took advantage. Now we know Trump lied throughout his entire campaign about not working with the Russians, and was instead negotiating with them about building a Trump tower in Moscow that would put hundreds of million dollars in his pocket. In exchange for relaxing sanctions against Russian interests, which he has lobbied for in a very public fashion, evidently assuming his base is either too dumb, uninformed or racist for it to make any difference. So far, it looks like he knew his voters very well.
You can make any argument you want for or against any politician.

What matters is who does the best job with their campaign and somewhat related...who is the best candidate at any particular time.

Going forward......who's it going to be this time?

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Yeah, I don't agree with universal cynicism here. There were many Democrats who voted for the ACA knowing it would end their political career. And it did, although history seems to have vindicated their choice. McCain could have let that racist woman tell lies about Obama's heritage during his town hall. As we see now with Trump, that would have surely helped his campaign. But he didn't.

Just because the current GOP is avoiding their constitutional duties through love of power and money does not mean this has always been the case.
the cynicism is necessary to create the both sides facade.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001

I've so revolted by the GOP that I vote Dem by default. That doesn't mean the Dems have blanket approval from me. We've seen corrupt Dems from time to time, out for personal gain rather than the public good. But what we are seeing now is an entire party becoming Russian friendly because they are following their leader, with many other elected GOPers bought and paid for by Russian money laundered through the NRA or other avenues that can't be tracked, and are also funded by Putin's cronies.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Would love to hear more about the last part of your post. Are you referring to how the HC campaign 'performed'? And specifically - how the DNC handled themselves in 2016?

Also - I don't think Trump will run in 2020....especially the way things are looking with the Mueller investigation.
Yes, and also avoid the kind of internecine attacks which occurred during the last Republican primaries and greatly benefited Trump. I'd say his running in '20 is about 50%...

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Yes, and also avoid the kind of internecine attacks which occurred during the last Republican primaries and greatly benefited Trump. I'd say his running in '20 is about 50%...
Asking the other GOP candidates how they like the idea that Trump beat them in the primaries using extra help from the Russians leaves them stammering for a response. I seem to remember Rubio and Graham both being asked about it.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Thank you, NT17. I know you have your hands full as well. Our Mom's are lucky they have their children standing by in their time of need. It truly is a calling.

All the best to your Mom, sir....and to you and yours.
My 91 year old Mom's doctor shifted his approach from a curative to a palliative one this past Friday following a very difficult few weeks. The palliative method is the prerequisite required to get Hospice involved. She's still living at home and wants to finish up there, no idea what kind of time frame we are looking at.

My best to NT17 and Bazza and your mothers.

Last edited:

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
My 91 year old Mom's doctor shifted his approach from a curative to a palliative one this past Friday following a very difficult few weeks. The palliative method is the prerequisite required to get Hospice involved. She's still living at home and wants to finish up there, no idea what kind of time frame we are looking at.

My best to NT17 and Bazza and your mothers.

My heart goes out to all of you for the trying times y'all are going through with your moms.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.