2019 Federal government shut down and the wall - Page 2
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Re: 2019 Federal government shut down and the wall

Quote Originally Posted by Bazza View Post
    I agree.

I'm no political strategist - FAR from it, obviously.

Just thinking whoever gets this thing ended will come out ahead at this point from the public perception.

Perhaps not though.....we'll see......
    there is no possible way Trump gets out of this well, the sooner he accepts that this will be over
    "There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist." - Terry Pratchett

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame MattinBama's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by uafanataum View Post
    I like your well reasoned disagreement. At this point I do not give a damn about the wall. 400,000 people are being asked to work without pay. Someone needs to he the adult in the room. Disclaimer: I am not one of the people being asked to work without pay but I still do not want any of the people that are having to do it to have to continue to do so.
    There’s no real need for a well reasoned disagreement when the conversation starts essentially with “Trump is so cool why don’t those mean old Dems just give him what he wants?”

Feel free to give ol Mitch McConnell a call & tell him to be the adult in the room. Push the funding through that was voted in the Senate 100-0. Let Trump veto it & then override the veto. This has very little to do with the Democrats and everything to do with a man child scared that Fox News will talk mean about him again & an evil turtle.

BamaNation All-SEC

Quote Originally Posted by MattinBama View Post
    There’s no real need for a well reasoned disagreement when the conversation starts essentially with “Trump is so cool why don’t those mean old Dems just give him what he wants?”

Feel free to give ol Mitch McConnell a call & tell him to be the adult in the room. Push the funding through that was voted in the Senate 100-0. Let Trump veto it & then override the veto. This has very little to do with the Democrats and everything to do with a man child scared that Fox News will talk mean about him again & an evil turtle.
    The person you were responding to earlier said nothing about Trump being cool and even said the majority of the nation likely put more blame on Trump than they do on democrats. I know most of the people I know are blaming Trump. I do not intend to call Mitch McConnell or any other politician. I doubt it would do me any good. I do not care if you blame democrats or Trump or republicans or anyone. I just want the 400,000 people working without pay to start getting paid again.

The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

- George Orwell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.

— Thomas Pynchon

Quote Originally Posted by MattinBama View Post

I'm sorry you interpreted my OP that way, Matt. I was interested solely on opinions about strategy and tactics.

No worries...I know you are emotionally invested in this situation which I view as a positive.

Thanks for responding anyway....

Quote Originally Posted by uafanataum View Post
    The person you were responding to earlier said nothing about Trump being cool and even said the majority of the nation likely put more blame on Trump than they do on democrats. I know most of the people I know are blaming Trump. I do not intend to call Mitch McConnell or any other politician. I doubt it would do me any good. I do not care if you blame democrats or Trump or republicans or anyone. I just want the 400,000 people working without pay to start getting paid again.
    Thanks - that's how I feel as well. Will be interesting to see how this ends up from a strategic POV....

I understand what you're saying - but in your opinion - how much would it take to get to end the shutdown - short of the original asking price of 5 billion?

3 billion?
    You do understand that this 5 billion is really just the down payment? The total cost is estimated up to 10 billion, and, being government, probably much more, with condemnations, etc. The DHS, in a leaked report, said 21.6 billion. If they give him the five billion, how can they turn him down for the rest, even if it doubles or triples. I can see giving him one billion and assigning it to a committee for a feasibility study, since there's never been one...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

“I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is.” Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

BamaNation Hall of Fame jthomas666's Avatar

I'm sorry you interpreted my OP that way, Matt. I was interested solely on opinions about strategy and tactics.
    Pelosi and Schumer have stated a perfectly reasonable position--agree to end the shutdown, and then we can sit down and reach an agreement to improve border security. The Dems are more than willing to work towards increased border security--just not the Great Wall of Guano. It's a wonderful tactic--particularly with video of Trump saying that he will be happy to take credit for the shutdown.

If the Dems compromise on the wall, the terrorist wins.
    This is the darkest timeline.

BamaNation All-American gtowntide's Avatar

I hope the Democrats don't give this petulant child a dime. Rush Limbaugh, Ann Coulter and Sean Hannity do not run this country. If Trump doesn't open the government back up soon, it's not going to end well.

BamaNation Hall of Fame CharminTide's Avatar

I think a lot of people are really questioning the continuation of this dispute at this point....and probably looking at Trump as the one who is most responsible.
    The data doesn't seem to agree with your gut here.

538: Trump Has Lost Ground In The Shutdown Blame Game

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    You do understand that this 5 billion is really just the down payment? The total cost is estimated up to 10 billion, and, being government, probably much more, with condemnations, etc. The DHS, in a leaked report, said 21.6 billion. If they give him the five billion, how can they turn him down for the rest, even if it doubles or triples. I can see giving him one billion and assigning it to a committee for a feasibility study, since there's never been one...
    I heard the total cost was like $20 billion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    The supreme quality for leadership is unquestionably integrity. Without it, no real success is possible, no matter whether it is on a section gang, a football field, in an army, or in an office. Dwight D. Eisenhower

BamaNation Hall of Fame

2019 Federal government shut down and the wall

Quote Originally Posted by NationalTitles17 View Post
    Trump had a deal with the GOP majority congress and threw a temper tantrum. This is COMPLETELY on HIM.

He had a deal in July with his $5 bill and a DACA bill. Steven Miller pitched a fit and he said he wouldn’t sign it and Republicans wouldn’t override his veto, although they had the votes to do so.
    This is partisan politics at its worst and shows how badly we need another party.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by twofbyc; January 10th, 2019 at 06:58 AM.
    The supreme quality for leadership is unquestionably integrity. Without it, no real success is possible, no matter whether it is on a section gang, a football field, in an army, or in an office. Dwight D. Eisenhower

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    i think i see the faulty premise in your post
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

- George Orwell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.

— Thomas Pynchon