2019 Federal government shut down and the wall - Page 7
Page 7 of 60 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141757 ... LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame cbi1972's Avatar

Re: 2019 Federal government shut down and the wall

Quote Originally Posted by CharminTide View Post
    Trump is really testing the limits of his supporters' doublethink. At some point, it has to start causing physical pain.

Trump claims he 'never meant' Mexico would directly pay for border wall despite repeatedly saying it

And in case you think this is some dishonest media plot, Trump's campaign website explicitly says that Mexico will directly pay for the wall, and that promise is still on his website today:

https://assets.donaldjtrump.com/Pay_for_the_Wall.pdf

"It's an easy decision for Mexico: make a one-time payment of $5-10 billion [for the wall] to ensure that $24 billion continues to flow into their country year after year."

https://twitter.com/abc/status/https://twitter.com/mbalter/status/1083379330267394048

What's another flagrant lie to this man?
    Audemus jura nostra defendere
    "When a loaf of bread looks like a banquet, I've no right buying tobacco. " - Grandpa Joe

Quote Originally Posted by cbi1972 View Post
    manna for his supporters?
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

- George Orwell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.

— Thomas Pynchon

BamaNation All-American CrimsonNagus's Avatar

McConnell has once again refused to allow a vote to reopen the government that he knows will pass, because he doesn’t want the GOP to override Trump’s veto. This shutdown is as much on him as on Trump.
    Is there anyway to get around him? Is there any other path to allow a vote? Basically can someone block his block?

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonNagus View Post
    Is there anyway to get around him? Is there any other path to allow a vote? Basically can someone block his block?
    i think if enough of the gop senators split with him, he might break, but i don't see that happening. he has no incentive to allow anything to happen.
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

- George Orwell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.

— Thomas Pynchon

Quote Originally Posted by 2003TIDE View Post
    That looks like a cutting torch not a saw, but still same point. Those are easy to get.
    It is a cutting torch. The melted edges can be seen clearly. OTOH, that's even easier than a saw. Don't have to replace the blades, either...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

“I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is.” Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Basically, he has to become afraid enough of removal by enough Republican senators to let a bill through. By all accounts, he is a ruthless man and doesn't really give a damn about the greater good for the country...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

“I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is.” Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

BamaNation Hall of Fame jthomas666's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cbi1972 View Post
    Just another brick in his wall?
    This is the darkest timeline.

A close friend posted this on her timeline:

I have a solution for the wall funding.
    IRS adds a section to the 1040s, asking if filer wants taxpayer funding for a $5B wall.
    If "yes" is checked, next line asks them how much filer is willing to have withheld from his pay the next year to fund the wall.
    By my calculation, if each of the 3M who voted for Trump agree to having an extra $1666.00.withheld from taxes, the 5 billion would be raised. A vote to build it is a vote to pay.for it. No amount higher than $1666 will be accepted from any individual. Legal couple filing together are allowed to pay $3332 .
    See how much is raised.

BamaNation All-American CrimsonNagus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 92tide View Post
    i think if enough of the gop senators split with him, he might break, but i don't see that happening. he has no incentive to allow anything to happen.
    It sad when putting hundreds of thousands of people back to work isn’t enough of an incentive.

Of course, I also believe that the government should never shutdown like this. Most of the general budget is always going to be there with minor changes and that should basically be and automatic pass each year. The extra stuff, like stupid walls or whatever, should never even be attached to the general budget. IMO.

BamaNation All-SEC

I understood from Lawrence O'Donnell last night who worked in the Senate for years that there is a Parliamentary Procedure whereby a procedural vote could be called and if there were enough votes the Bill in question could be called to the floor. I doubt that there are Republican Senators who would stand up to McConnell on this.

BamaNation Hall of Fame CharminTide's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by UAH View Post
    I understood from Lawrence O'Donnell last night who worked in the Senate for years that there is a Parliamentary Procedure whereby a procedural vote could be called and if there were enough votes the Bill in question could be called to the floor. I doubt that there are Republican Senators who would stand up to McConnell on this.
    And I doubt there will be even if this stretches on for a few more weeks. He's protecting GOP Senators, who live in fear of being primaried by their fanatical base. The Senate is a portrait of putting party over country. One sect of the GOP wants the shutdown to end, and another sect will punish any Senator who breaks with Trump. So if McConnell allows a vote -- any vote -- GOP Senators will be alienating one of these two factions within their party. By his calculation, it's safer to do nothing, allowing Trump to dance in the spotlight and collect blame. And if the cost of that inaction is that a few hundred thousand federal workers can't get paid, airlines cease being safe modes of travel, and food begins to spread sickness en masse, then so be it.

But both sides and stuff, right?

And I doubt there will be even if this stretches on for a few more weeks. He's protecting GOP Senators, who live in fear of being primaried by their fanatical base. The Senate is a portrait of putting party over country. One sect of the GOP wants the shutdown to end, and another sect will punish any Senator who breaks with Trump. So if McConnell allows a vote -- any vote -- GOP Senators will be alienating one of these two factions within their party. By his calculation, it's safer to do nothing, allowing Trump to dance in the spotlight and collect blame. And if the cost of that inaction is that a few hundred thousand federal workers can't get paid, airlines cease being safe modes of travel, and food begins to spread sickness en masse, then so be it.

But both sides and stuff, right?
    Yes, your reply totally ignores emails...

BamaNation Hall of Fame CharminTide's Avatar

I've resisted this for a while, but today I relent. We are actually living through a rejected script for Veep. LINK

President Donald Trump drew a bizarre analogy during his trip to the border in McAllen, Texas, on Thursday, likening a border wall to the ancient invention of the wheel and noting that wheels are effective and still commonly used in modern times.

"They say a wall is medieval. Well, a wheel is older than a wall," Trump said, though the earliest known border wall is actually thousands of years older than the wheel. "And I looked, and every single car out there, even the really expensive ones that the Secret Service uses — and believe me they are expensive — I said, 'Do they all have wheels?' 'Yes.' 'Oh. I thought it was medieval.'"

He continued: "The wheel is older than the wall. You know that? There are some things that work. A wheel works and a wall works."
    This man has the nuclear codes.