2019 Federal government shut down and the wall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Day 19.....

At this point, wouldn't the Dems come out ahead public relations-wise by getting a deal done so the folks can get back to work/get paid?

There has to be some wiggle room to negotiate.

Give in as little as possible....but enough to end it.

I understand there's a principle involved here.

But at some point, doesn't it boil down to who comes out ahead in public perception?

I think a lot of people are really questioning the continuation of this dispute at this point....and probably looking at Trump as the one who is most responsible.

I'm not political guru like many here so I could be way off base. Just curious what your thoughts are.....

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Its more than principle involved here. Its 5 billion for a stupid idea of a wall just because he couldn't remember to talk about immigration during the campaign. Spend the 5 billion on 21st century ideas.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
Its more than principle involved here. Its 5 billion for a stupid idea of a wall just because he couldn't remember to talk about immigration during the campaign. Spend the 5 billion on 21st century ideas.
I understand what you're saying - but in your opinion - how much would it take to get to end the shutdown - short of the original asking price of 5 billion?

3 billion?

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Its more than principle involved here. Its 5 billion for a stupid idea of a wall just because he couldn't remember to talk about immigration during the campaign. borrow the 5 billion from the Chinese for 21st century ideas.
just a couple of quick edits and it's perfect

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
No one wins from punishing American workers - from his tariffs to his wall tantrums, Trump has no idea of the damage he is causing; not just to his party but to the American people.
“Relate” my smelly behind. He will pay for this, and so will his party. Dearly.
Of course, they don’t think they are in the minority. Stupid and blind.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
Trump shuts the government down when they take over and give the Dems an ultimatum on something he couldn’t even get when the GOP had the house and Senate. The Dems literally can’t and won’t set that precedent on how Trump works with the House moving forward. It’s not going to happen.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
No one wins from punishing American workers - from his tariffs to his wall tantrums, Trump has no idea of the damage he is causing; not just to his party but to the American people.
“Relate” my smelly behind. He will pay for this, and so will his party. Dearly.
Of course, they don’t think they are in the minority. Stupid and blind.

Trump shuts the government down when they take over and give the Dems an ultimatum on something he couldn’t even get when the GOP had the house and Senate. The Dems literally can’t and won’t set that precedent on how Trump works with the House moving forward. It’s not going to happen.
Good points on the policy angle but what about tactics and strategy?

IOW....putting aside the border wall issue itself.......what is the best strategy for the Dems here going forward?

Continue to sit tight?

Try to make a deal - at as much as possible below the 5 billion?

Do you think 3 billion would get a deal done and end the shutdown?

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
I understand what you're saying - but in your opinion - how much would it take to get to end the shutdown - short of the original asking price of 5 billion?

3 billion?
That’s easy...

0.00 billion.

Stand strong dems, never back down. This wall is a stupid idea and unnecessary. This is only hurting Trump. Just wait until people’s SS checks stop coming, then the Trump hate will skyrocket.

Screw you Trump and your stupid temper tantrum. If you want a wall so bad, pay for it yourself.

I have never had so much disrespect for a president as I do Trump. Even ones that I didn’t agree with or support, like Obama and Clinton. I still respected them and the office. I hate Trump and have no respect for him or the office he holds.

Last edited:

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
Day 19.....

At this point, wouldn't the Dems come out ahead public relations-wise by getting a deal done so the folks can get back to work/get paid?
No.

There has to be some wiggle room to negotiate.

Give in as little as possible....but enough to end it.

I understand there's a principle involved here.

But at some point, doesn't it boil down to who comes out ahead in public perception?
No.

I think a lot of people are really questioning the continuation of this dispute at this point....and probably looking at Trump as the one who is most responsible.
Lol, no.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
He’s getting flack in private from Republicans in states that are feeling the shutdown. That flack will only increase and force them to split with the party.
LG is trying to head that off, but only a DACA reinstatement with a path to citizenship will work for the Dems and Trump already said he won’t do that.
I love the way Trump insists Dems aren’t negotiating - like he is.
I honestly didn’t know they piled excrement that high.

Last edited:

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
No.

No.

Lol, no.
I like your well reasoned disagreement. At this point I do not give a damn about the wall. 400,000 people are being asked to work without pay. Someone needs to he the adult in the room. Disclaimer: I am not one of the people being asked to work without pay but I still do not want any of the people that are having to do it to have to continue to do so.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
I like your well reasoned disagreement. At this point I do not give a damn about the wall. 400,000 people are being asked to work without pay. Someone needs to he the adult in the room. Disclaimer: I am not one of the people being asked to work without pay but I still do not want any of the people that are having to do it to have to continue to do so.
I agree.

I'm no political strategist - FAR from it, obviously.

Just thinking whoever gets this thing ended will come out ahead at this point from the public perception.

Perhaps not though.....we'll see......

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
I agree.

I'm no political strategist - FAR from it, obviously.

Just thinking whoever gets this thing ended will come out ahead at this point from the public perception.

Perhaps not though.....we'll see......
there is no possible way Trump gets out of this well, the sooner he accepts that this will be over

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
There’s no real need for a well reasoned disagreement when the conversation starts essentially with “Trump is so cool why don’t those mean old Dems just give him what he wants?”

Feel free to give ol Mitch McConnell a call & tell him to be the adult in the room. Push the funding through that was voted in the Senate 100-0. Let Trump veto it & then override the veto. This has very little to do with the Democrats and everything to do with a man child scared that Fox News will talk mean about him again & an evil turtle.

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
There’s no real need for a well reasoned disagreement when the conversation starts essentially with “Trump is so cool why don’t those mean old Dems just give him what he wants?”

Feel free to give ol Mitch McConnell a call & tell him to be the adult in the room. Push the funding through that was voted in the Senate 100-0. Let Trump veto it & then override the veto. This has very little to do with the Democrats and everything to do with a man child scared that Fox News will talk mean about him again & an evil turtle.
The person you were responding to earlier said nothing about Trump being cool and even said the majority of the nation likely put more blame on Trump than they do on democrats. I know most of the people I know are blaming Trump. I do not intend to call Mitch McConnell or any other politician. I doubt it would do me any good. I do not care if you blame democrats or Trump or republicans or anyone. I just want the 400,000 people working without pay to start getting paid again.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011

I'm sorry you interpreted my OP that way, Matt. I was interested solely on opinions about strategy and tactics.

No worries...I know you are emotionally invested in this situation which I view as a positive.

Thanks for responding anyway....

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
The person you were responding to earlier said nothing about Trump being cool and even said the majority of the nation likely put more blame on Trump than they do on democrats. I know most of the people I know are blaming Trump. I do not intend to call Mitch McConnell or any other politician. I doubt it would do me any good. I do not care if you blame democrats or Trump or republicans or anyone. I just want the 400,000 people working without pay to start getting paid again.
Thanks - that's how I feel as well. Will be interesting to see how this ends up from a strategic POV....

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

3 billion?
You do understand that this 5 billion is really just the down payment? The total cost is estimated up to 10 billion, and, being government, probably much more, with condemnations, etc. The DHS, in a leaked report, said 21.6 billion. If they give him the five billion, how can they turn him down for the rest, even if it doubles or triples. I can see giving him one billion and assigning it to a committee for a feasibility study, since there's never been one...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.