2019 Federal government shut down and the wall
Page 1 of 57 123456781151 ... LastLast

Day 19.....

At this point, wouldn't the Dems come out ahead public relations-wise by getting a deal done so the folks can get back to work/get paid?

There has to be some wiggle room to negotiate.

Give in as little as possible....but enough to end it.

I understand there's a principle involved here.

But at some point, doesn't it boil down to who comes out ahead in public perception?

I think a lot of people are really questioning the continuation of this dispute at this point....and probably looking at Trump as the one who is most responsible.

I'm not political guru like many here so I could be way off base. Just curious what your thoughts are.....

2. Advertisement

Re: 2019 Federal government shut down and the wall

Its more than principle involved here. Its 5 billion for a stupid idea of a wall just because he couldn't remember to talk about immigration during the campaign. Spend the 5 billion on 21st century ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by Bamaro View Post
    Its more than principle involved here. Its 5 billion for a stupid idea of a wall just because he couldn't remember to talk about immigration during the campaign. Spend the 5 billion on 21st century ideas.
    I understand what you're saying - but in your opinion - how much would it take to get to end the shutdown - short of the original asking price of 5 billion?

3 billion?

Quote Originally Posted by Bamaro View Post
    Its more than principle involved here. Its 5 billion for a stupid idea of a wall just because he couldn't remember to talk about immigration during the campaign. borrow the 5 billion from the Chinese for 21st century ideas.
    just a couple of quick edits and it's perfect
    "There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist." - Terry Pratchett

BamaNation Hall of Fame

No one wins from punishing American workers - from his tariffs to his wall tantrums, Trump has no idea of the damage he is causing; not just to his party but to the American people.
    ďRelateĒ my smelly behind. He will pay for this, and so will his party. Dearly.
    Of course, they donít think they are in the minority. Stupid and blind.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    The supreme quality for leadership is unquestionably integrity. Without it, no real success is possible, no matter whether it is on a section gang, a football field, in an army, or in an office. Dwight D. Eisenhower

BamaNation Hall of Fame 2003TIDE's Avatar

Trump shuts the government down when they take over and give the Dems an ultimatum on something he couldnít even get when the GOP had the house and Senate. The Dems literally canít and wonít set that precedent on how Trump works with the House moving forward. Itís not going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by twofbyc View Post
    No one wins from punishing American workers - from his tariffs to his wall tantrums, Trump has no idea of the damage he is causing; not just to his party but to the American people.
    “Relate” my smelly behind. He will pay for this, and so will his party. Dearly.
    Of course, they don’t think they are in the minority. Stupid and blind.

Quote Originally Posted by 2003TIDE View Post
    Trump shuts the government down when they take over and give the Dems an ultimatum on something he couldn’t even get when the GOP had the house and Senate. The Dems literally can’t and won’t set that precedent on how Trump works with the House moving forward. It’s not going to happen.
    Good points on the policy angle but what about tactics and strategy?

IOW....putting aside the border wall issue itself.......what is the best strategy for the Dems here going forward?

Continue to sit tight?

Try to make a deal - at as much as possible below the 5 billion?

Do you think 3 billion would get a deal done and end the shutdown?

BamaNation All-American CrimsonNagus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bazza View Post
    I understand what you're saying - but in your opinion - how much would it take to get to end the shutdown - short of the original asking price of 5 billion?

3 billion?
    Thatís easy...

0.00 billion.

Stand strong dems, never back down. This wall is a stupid idea and unnecessary. This is only hurting Trump. Just wait until peopleís SS checks stop coming, then the Trump hate will skyrocket.

Screw you Trump and your stupid temper tantrum. If you want a wall so bad, pay for it yourself.

I have never had so much disrespect for a president as I do Trump. Even ones that I didnít agree with or support, like Obama and Clinton. I still respected them and the office. I hate Trump and have no respect for him or the office he holds.
    Last edited by CrimsonNagus; January 9th, 2019 at 09:48 PM.

BamaNation Hall of Fame MattinBama's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bazza View Post
    Day 19.....

At this point, wouldn't the Dems come out ahead public relations-wise by getting a deal done so the folks can get back to work/get paid?
    No.

There has to be some wiggle room to negotiate.

Give in as little as possible....but enough to end it.

I understand there's a principle involved here.

But at some point, doesn't it boil down to who comes out ahead in public perception?
    No.

I think a lot of people are really questioning the continuation of this dispute at this point....and probably looking at Trump as the one who is most responsible.
    Lol, no.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Heís getting flack in private from Republicans in states that are feeling the shutdown. That flack will only increase and force them to split with the party.
    LG is trying to head that off, but only a DACA reinstatement with a path to citizenship will work for the Dems and Trump already said he wonít do that.
    I love the way Trump insists Dems arenít negotiating - like he is.
    I honestly didnít know they piled excrement that high.

Last edited by twofbyc; January 10th, 2019 at 06:36 AM.
    The supreme quality for leadership is unquestionably integrity. Without it, no real success is possible, no matter whether it is on a section gang, a football field, in an army, or in an office. Dwight D. Eisenhower

FB|BB Moderator NationalTitles17's Avatar

Trump had a deal with the GOP majority congress and threw a temper tantrum. This is COMPLETELY on HIM.
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

The TideFan formerly known as NationalTitles16, NationalTitles15, NationalTitles14, NationalTitles13, and NationalTitles12.

BamaNation All-SEC

Quote Originally Posted by MattinBama View Post
    No.

No.

Lol, no.
    I like your well reasoned disagreement. At this point I do not give a damn about the wall. 400,000 people are being asked to work without pay. Someone needs to he the adult in the room. Disclaimer: I am not one of the people being asked to work without pay but I still do not want any of the people that are having to do it to have to continue to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by uafanataum View Post
    I like your well reasoned disagreement. At this point I do not give a damn about the wall. 400,000 people are being asked to work without pay. Someone needs to he the adult in the room. Disclaimer: I am not one of the people being asked to work without pay but I still do not want any of the people that are having to do it to have to continue to do so.
    I agree.

I'm no political strategist - FAR from it, obviously.

Just thinking whoever gets this thing ended will come out ahead at this point from the public perception.

Perhaps not though.....we'll see......