2019 Federal government shut down and the wall

Status
Not open for further replies.

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
Getting back to the thread topic of strategy......

From an NBC News piece.....here's (in part) one person's opinion:

Much more in the linked story...
It says he wants to reduce legal immigration. I think it would be hard to end illegal immigration while also lowering the amount that come here legally.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida

Why Trump will win the wall fight

Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes once said, “If my fellow citizens want to go to hell, I will help them. It is my job.”￾ He was expressing the limited role of courts in challenges to federal law. It is not the task of judges to sit as a super legislature to question the agendas of the political branches. They will gladly send Congress to hell. It only needs to point to the destination.

In the matter of the border wall, Congress could not have been more clear where it was heading. It put itself on the path to institutional irrelevancy, and it has finally arrived. I do not agree there is a national emergency on the southern border, but I do believe President Trump will prevail. This crisis is not the making of Donald Trump. This is the making of Congress.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
“the wall” was a mnemonic device used because trump was too stupid to remember to talk about immigration in his campaign. this “crisis” most certainly is of his doing and he is keeping it going because it excites his racist, and totally not a racist but i’m all in on supporting one, base

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
The bad thing is that Republican congressmen will applaud at congress loss of power this year if it means the wall gets built and then cry foul in a couple of years if a Democratic president uses the same precedent to limit the second ammendment. They will not even think about the trap they are laying for themselves until it is sprung.
IDK if it's that they don't understand or if they've adopted the president's quoted attitude - "I won't be here"...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
This essentially a nothing burger. He strains to find comparisons with actions taken by other presidents and they're not comparable. There's a big difference in using unappropriated funds and diverting funds Congress has appropriated for other purposes. I suspect there'll be an effort to shoehorn this into military housing somehow, which will fail. Then, at the end, he concedes that the funding may be challenged but the president can begin the construction, Well, duh. Congress compromised and gave him 1.4 billion for barriers, 55 miles to be exact. No one has questioned that, to my knowledge. I don't think he's managed to shed his role as Paul Ryan's institutional lawyer...

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
Just a thought Inhad about all the wall business. Throw out all the legal fights that are ensuing. How long do you believe it will take to even start construction? I figure close to a year as a best guess estimate because of dealing with bids, surveying, etc.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
Just a thought Inhad about all the wall business. Throw out all the legal fights that are ensuing. How long do you believe it will take to even start construction? I figure close to a year as a best guess estimate because of dealing with bids, surveying, etc.
TV Talking Heads say some of the eminent domain condemnation lawsuits have been tied up in court since 2006. From a previous wall/fence expansion.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
Just a thought I had about all the wall business. Throw out all the legal fights that are ensuing. How long do you believe it will take to even start construction? I figure close to a year as a best guess estimate because of dealing with bids, surveying, etc.
Absolutely. There are so many details about this issue beyond just the politics of it that many don't understand.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
The bad thing is that Republican congressmen will applaud at congress loss of power this year if it means the wall gets built and then cry foul in a couple of years if a Democratic president uses the same precedent to limit the second amendment. They will not even think about the trap they are laying for themselves until it is sprung.
I don't know why we have this "loophole" in our system. We'll see what happens. Trump is in for a battle on this one getting through.

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
Trump originally ordered no pay increase this year for federal employees. A 1.9% increase (retroactive to the first of the year) will now happen. I don't really care, but since everyone seems to want to see government policy aligned with personal interests ...... Yay!

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
Trump originally ordered no pay increase this year for federal employees. A 1.9% increase (retroactive to the first of the year) will now happen. I don't really care, but since everyone seems to want to see government policy aligned with personal interests ...... Yay!
If you were any kind of man you would refuse yours!! Plus your back pay from the shutdown!
Like you really drive a '06 Camry.
;)

Plus ex post facto is unconstitutional. Should this go in the government waste rant/thread?

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Wife can retire 3 months after new president is sworn in. We’ll leave then if it’s Trump. We were planning on leaving in 2022, but we will leave early if necessary.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.