2019 Federal government shut down and the wall

Status
Not open for further replies.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Well...when I started this thread, the idea was to simulate a game thread. That is....we have two teams playing against each other....and when the game is over....one team will prevail as the winner.

Of course, especially in politics people have different perspectives, which is great. That's what talk forums are for.

I can't help but think the Democratics have a real opportunity to get a win by doing whatever it takes to end the shutdown.

There are many here who say they should hold their ground and not give in.

I'm just offering my opinion - absolutely it's not based on political theory - only how a common man like myself *may* see things.

2020 is two years away......tick tock..... :)
Trump and his team are already the losers and just don't realize it yet.

ETA: And Americans will lose worse than we already are if the dems give in

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
Well...when I started this thread, the idea was to simulate a game thread. That is....we have two teams playing against each other....and when the game is over....one team will prevail as the winner.

Of course, especially in politics people have different perspectives, which is great. That's what talk forums are for.

I can't help but think the Democratics have a real opportunity to get a win by doing whatever it takes to end the shutdown.

There are many here who say they should hold their ground and not give in.

I'm just offering my opinion - absolutely it's not based on political theory - only how a common man like myself *may* see things.

2020 is two years away......tick tock..... :)
How about I out this in terms you can understand since you love being obtuse when it comes to Trump.

Not caving in to the baby is just part of the painful process that makes up the big picture on the road to making America great again.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
McConnell has blocked three House-passed bills that would reopen the government, and today is the fourth time he's blocked a smaller stopgap bill to reopen just the DHS for two weeks. Unless the government reopens before midnight (in time for payroll to process), nearly a million federal workers will miss their second consecutive paycheck.
I wish they all would call in sick. I’d like to see all air traffic halted until the government is reopened - it would be reopened in a matter of hours.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Trump and his team are already the losers and just don't realize it yet.

ETA: And Americans will lose worse than we already are if the dems give in
Well.....I hear what you are saying but you have to remember there are undecided votes to get. Not everyone feels like you do.

The objective is to get elected - any way possible.

I love the whole concept of doing what's in the best interest of the country....but much of that disappeared back in the 60's, IMHO. Sorry if I sound pessimistic, but as a baby boomer I have seen a lot and am just calling it as I see it.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Well.....I hear what you are saying but you have to remember there are undecided votes to get. Not everyone feels like you do.

The objective is to get elected - any way possible.

I love the whole concept of doing what's in the best interest of the country....but much of that disappeared back in the 60's, IMHO. Sorry if I sound pessimistic, but as a baby boomer I have seen a lot and am just calling it as I see it.
Like I said, Trump has already lost on this battle. Best to put it behind him if he wants to stand a chance in 2020.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
Like I said, Trump has already lost on this battle. Best to put it behind him if he wants to stand a chance in 2020.
hey I'm glad you brought that up.

I don't think he runs in 2020....in fact...with the Mueller investigation I think he gets forced out somehow before his term ends.

So given this as a possibility.....why wouldn't the Dems strike some kind of deal? Assuming it makes Trump "look good" or gives Trump 'leverage' to do the same down the road, as others have stated....it wouldn't make one bit of difference if Trump is no longer president, would it?

I

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003

I don't think he runs in 2020....in fact...with the Mueller investigation I think he gets forced out somehow before his term ends.

So given this as a possibility.....why wouldn't the Dems strike some kind of deal? Assuming it makes Trump "look good" or gives Trump 'leverage' to do the same down the road, as others have stated....it wouldn't make one bit of difference if Trump is no longer president, would it?

I
1. You assume things will happen as you expect. That can't be counted on

2. a deal does not help dems. Trump owns this. Period. He claimed it and voters are happy to oblige his claim.

3. This hurts the GOP in general

4. This whole thing is stupid beyond belief.

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014

I
How many times would they have to give in before that magical day that he leaves/ is forced out of office? Better to draw that line in the sand now so they do not have to put up with it until he leaves office.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
How many times would they have to give in before that magical day that he leaves/ is forced out of office? Better to draw that line in the sand now so they do not have to put up with it until he leaves office.
That seems to be the conventional thinking here.

And as much as I know you are sick of hearing it from me...it seems like an opportunity for the Dems to get points with the undecided voters though.....

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL

And as much as I know you are sick of hearing it from me...it seems like an opportunity for the Dems to get points with the undecided voters though.....
Democratic points continue to pile up as the shutdown continues with most people blaming Trump and the Republicans for it. The longer it goes, the better it is for Democrats, as long as they maintain reasonable demands. If they get greedy, then there could be backlash, but right now it is the other side making unreasonable demands. They won't get points for caving to bully Republicans, especially in their own primaries.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
And why can't Trump and the GOP use this opportunity to "gain points with undecided voters" by either (1) signing the compromise bill that has passed both the House and Senate, or (2) re-opening the government now and negotiating on border security without holding federal workers hostage (which Trump had admitted that he's intentionally doing)?

The fact that you never suggest this make your allegiance pretty clear.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA

Any net capitulation by the dems will be viewed as a loss for them. A draw for the reps, they own this.

Any capitulation by the reps (senate & Trump) will simply be mitigating their loss. A draw for the dems.

I don't see any real winners at this point

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
I see posts about “undecided” voters; undecided about what?
Voters aren’t undecided about Trump; not from any poll I’ve seen, in any number that isn’t almost totally insignificant.
I don’t think they’re undecided about anything right now; “divided” , maybe.
Republicans own this hostage taking, McConnell has shown he’s been neutered by Trump, Dems are still floundering around trying to see how they can come out ahead on this...while Rome burns.
Maybe substituting “ Independent “ for undecided might be more accurate, since those numbers are growing and the partisan bases of both parties seem to be firmly entrenched.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.