Is Dabo Now "The Man" ? - Page 4
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    BamaNation All-SEC

Re: Is Dabo Now "The Man" ?

Quote Originally Posted by BamaJama17 View Post
    I hope that’s all the pundits talk about this entire offseason. I want them saying Dabo has surpassed Saban now as the best coach in football. Let them anoint Lawerence as the Heisman front runner. The pressure for 2019 Clemson will be unreal.
    The question though is, even with added pressure, is the Clemson schedule so light it won't really matter. Unless the ACC becomes a powerhouse conference over the off season, their toughest game looks like A&M, and they get them at Clemson. I certainly hope all they do is talk about Clemson all year and it gets in their heads.

Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football

Quote Originally Posted by Krymsonman View Post
    The question though is, even with added pressure, is the Clemson schedule so light it won't really matter. Unless the ACC becomes a powerhouse conference over the off season, their toughest game looks like A&M, and they get them at Clemson. I certainly hope all they do is talk about Clemson all year and it gets in their heads.
    I don't see any up and coming teams to challenge them. However, what can't be predicted is when Dabo is going to experience some "busts" and/or transfers in recruits that creates holes in his team. To think Clemson will be able to keep the same level of domination from their D line that they've been fortunate to have from the outgoing star front four, is being naive. It doesn't mean they won't continue to have very good DL's. But to expect to continually have four potential first round players present on your DL each year that you can convince to come back for their senior years? Good luck. If that happens then Dabo is selling more than just "Jesus". If Alabama, who is coached by the greatest college head coach of all time, can't avoid busts, attrition and dips at positions. I wouldn't expect Clemson can either.
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exists, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

Who is their OC? Does Dabo call the plays?

BamaNation Hall of Fame cuda.1973's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Krymsonman View Post
    They can lose the aTm game, as it will be early in the season, and easier to overcome with subsequent success. Especially with their schedule. The only way they will be left out is a loss in the conference championship game.

Wouldn't hang my hopes on that happening.
    "I hate morning people.
    And mornings.

And people!"

No. He might be "The Man" years down the road but he's not close at this point.

I have questions. Some can be solidly answered. Some are speculative. Some are TBD.

1 - What would Dabo's record be in a tougher conference? (Specifically the SEC)

2 - Can Dabo consistently sustain the success he's built for himself?

3 - How many games the last 3-4 years has Clemson really been challenged and which teams did so?

I have more but now isn't the time and I won't load this thread with them.

I think Dabo is a very good head football coach. I'm still on the fence at times about his character but I don't know the man personally. A lot of that is because of his past at Bama that I don't know all the details of like many here have referenced as reasons for not wanting him when CNS retires. Some of my doubt is just raw gut feeling.
    "It's not the will to win that matters - everyone has that.
    It's the will to prepare to win that matters."
    PAUL "BEAR" BRYANT

Re: Is Dabo Now " The Man " ?

I remember Bruce Feldman saying that Urban Meyer was the greatest living coach in January 2014. I knew he'd change his mind if Saban won more, and since that year Saban has been in the title game every year.

Dabo is clearly the second best coach in the country. Dabo is closer to Saban than anyone is to Dabo, but he's not on Saban's level yet.
    ----
    B.A. from The University of Alabama (during the Fran/Shula years) so don't question my fandom.

BamaNation All-SEC UntouchableCrew's Avatar

Re: Is Dabo Now " The Man " ?

Saban is still the GOAT but I think Dabo is in the conversation for best coach out there at the moment. Nobody else has gone toe to toe with Saban like this -- 2-2 in four years with the winner being national champ every time.

Is he "the guy?" No, not yet. But if they win it all next year at our expense you can easily spin that narrative.

BamaNation Hall of Fame CrimsonForce's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TideEngineer08 View Post
    No.

Do we have zero patience as a society now?

He's not "THE MAN." Clemson isn't a "Dynasty." Alabama's dynasty isn't over and Nick Saban has not lost his touch. These things may happen some day, but they have not as of yet.
    To be fair Dabo said that Clemson is not a dynasty yet. He said they are not on Alabama's level but they're striving to get there.

Similar thing in the media happened in 2014 when Urban Meyer blitzed us in the semi finals and won the NC. All the talk was he had surpassed Saban. Consider what's happened since 2014 IRT Saban and Meyer. Similar situation could be setting up for Dabo. They will be the hunted next year. They will get everybody's best shot. I personally hope aTm beats them..

BamaNation First Team Jay Hughes's Avatar

Hugh Freeze done pretty good against Saban. Maybe he is the GOAT?!
    Sorry, donít know how to use blue font. Lol

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mob-Bama View Post
    I don't EVER want him to be our coach. And if he ever is, he STILL won't replace Saban.
    Just like Coach Stallings could never replace Coach Bryant, but we still loved and appreciated that ONE title he brought to us. It doesn't have to be "either or;" it can be "both and."

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonForce View Post
    To be fair Dabo said that Clemson is not a dynasty yet. He said they are not on Alabama's level but they're striving to get there.

Similar thing in the media happened in 2014 when Urban Meyer blitzed us in the semi finals and won the NC. All the talk was he had surpassed Saban. Consider what's happened since 2014 IRT Saban and Meyer. Similar situation could be setting up for Dabo. They will be the hunted next year. They will get everybody's best shot. I personally hope aTm beats them..
    Yeah, Dabo doesn't want that mantle yet I don't blame him. But I'm truly referring to the media, and some fans, who just can't help themselves. This has happened after every single Alabama loss since about 2014.

Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football

Quote Originally Posted by cuda.1973 View Post
    They can lose the aTm game, as it will be early in the season, and easier to overcome with subsequent success. Especially with their schedule. The only way they will be left out is a loss in the conference championship game.

Wouldn't hang my hopes on that happening.
    For whatever reason, it seems Syracuse (or is it Pittsburgh?) gives them fits. If they're going to have a clunker in the regular season it seems to be this game.
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exists, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by Bamabuzzard View Post
    For whatever reason, it seems Syracuse (or is it Pittsburgh?) gives them fits. If they're going to have a clunker in the regular season it seems to be this game.
    It's both. They lost to Pitt in 2016. With DeShaun Watson.