Is Dabo Now "The Man" ? - Page 5
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaJama17's Avatar

Re: Is Dabo Now "The Man" ?

Quote Originally Posted by Krymsonman View Post
    The question though is, even with added pressure, is the Clemson schedule so light it won't really matter. Unless the ACC becomes a powerhouse conference over the off season, their toughest game looks like A&M, and they get them at Clemson. I certainly hope all they do is talk about Clemson all year and it gets in their heads.
    Overall yes but you’re kind of oversimplifying things and it doesn’t factor in a few things...

1. Injuries and suspensions.

2. QB’s having a “Garcia moment”. A player like a Johnny Manziel type coming out of nowhere.

3. Bad/missed calls in a game. Targeting or personal foul ejections from game. Costly penalties in the red zone that go from a TD to an FG.

4. Murphy’s Law. Bad/fluke turnovers. Special teams miscues. Sometimes a team can do no wrong. Other times they can do nothing right.

5. New year new team. Clemson reloads in talent just as Alabama does. However replacing talent is much different/easier than replacing leadership and the amount of leadership Clemson had (especially on defense) was legion. They had not 1 not 2 but 4 players in the same position group that could have been 1st round picks come back for their senior year. That just doesn’t happen these days and that’s not including what they lose at LB and DB. Those are voids that will be felt no matter what.

Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football

Quote Originally Posted by BamaJama17 View Post
    Overall yes but you’re kind of oversimplifying things and it doesn’t factor in a few things...

1. Injuries and suspensions.

2. QB’s having a “Garcia moment”. A player like a Johnny Manziel type coming out of nowhere.

3. Bad/missed calls in a game. Targeting or personal foul ejections from game. Costly penalties in the red zone that go from a TD to an FG.

4. Murphy’s Law. Bad/fluke turnovers. Special teams miscues. Sometimes a team can do no wrong. Other times they can do nothing right.

5. New year new team. Clemson reloads in talent just as Alabama does. However replacing talent is much different/easier than replacing leadership and the amount of leadership Clemson had (especially on defense) was legion. They had not 1 not 2 but 4 players in the same position group that could have been 1st round picks come back for their senior year. That just doesn’t happen these days and that’s not including what they lose at LB and DB. Those are voids that will be felt no matter what.
    This right here is what ultimately catches up with teams attempting to maintain championship success. It's simply inevitable there will be a season in which the "next man up" won't pan out or be the same caliber as the player who left. When this happens at multiple position groups in the same season, someone else raises the trophy. Hence, Monday night.

Knowing this reality makes what Nick Saban and Alabama has done that much more impressive. Probably one of the reasons Dabo wouldn't put himself nor his program in Bama's dynasty status.
    Last edited by Bamabuzzard; January 10th, 2019 at 02:29 PM.
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exists, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

BamaNation First Team MightyWingman's Avatar

Is Dabo now "the man"? The simple answer is NO. It's still Sabans world, we are just living in it.

BamaNation All-American BradtheImpaler's Avatar

Re: Is Dabo Now " The Man " ?

I sure hope all the talking heads - Cowherd, Klatt, and Bayless - say it is so. I hope it's all they talk about next season, and that Coach Saban chews on it like two Little Debbie Oatmeal Creme Pies every single day.
    "In the second quarter, I saw Torretta look over at me, and he froze for a second. I saw fear."
    John Copeland

I haven’t even listened to or watched sports this week, because I’ve forgotten how it feels to lose, and lose big. I knew the crap of Dabo being better than Saban would be spewed everywhere, and quite frankly I didn’t even want to get my BP up listening to it.

Dabo, is a good coach, and Clemson is a fine team, but they have enjoyed the luxury of a weak ACC. The same could probably be said about the SEC, but for the most part over the last 10 years the western division has been tough. Clemson has risen to their glory while having no real rivalry threat during the regular season. FSU and others that used to give them fits, have been shells of their former selves the last few years. Syracuse giving them tight games and beating them has been a mystery to me. I can only figure Syracuse circles that date on their calendars and works all year for that game. Clemson basically has had the luxury of practicing for the big game instead of having to really focus on a lot of their games to play to get there. Just look at that powerhouse matchup they had in the ACCCG.

Every season and every team in the conferences go through cycles, and Bama has proven year in and out to win the tough games even though we suffer injuries to key players, and manage to make it to the finals or the championship. Eventually, the perennial teams in the ACC that used to be good will challenge Clemson and ding them up through the season even if they manage to win those games. Only then will I conceded them to be in the discussion of being on the level of Alabama when it pertains to the level of success.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The MAN selling PEDS by the dumpster behind the Clemson football complex, no I don’t think so!
    Last edited by bamaga; January 10th, 2019 at 10:55 PM.
    to 16 and beyond........

BamaNation Scout Team

Dabo is not the greatest of all time.

BamaNation First Team

Is Dabo the man? Hmmmmm, no. However, he's certainly built a formidable program that I don't think is going away any time soon.

BamaNation Hall of Fame CoastGhost's Avatar

Maybe the man of the moment. He will have to win a few more to even qualify for Saban's league, and by then CNS will have reset the bar.

And I'll bet the farm Clemson does not beat Alabama next season.

BamaNation Scout Team

Quote Originally Posted by Krymsonman View Post
    Well, right now Dabo is the man....of the moment. Yes, he did just beat the GOAT in one game. When Dabo whens more NC's that Saban, then he will be the man.
    He did not just beat the GOAT, be routed the GOAT.

Quote Originally Posted by alamojo View Post
    He did not just beat the GOAT, be routed the GOAT.
    No, he didn't. The Clemson players did. If this was just Saban vs. Dabo it never would have been a contest, unfortunately they have to battle by proxy and with what ever limitations they are dealt.
    Last edited by KrAzY3; January 11th, 2019 at 07:55 PM.
    Apologies if I said anything that could be construed as a personal insult.
    "Everybody that chooses to go to the game should stay there and support the team for the game." - Nick Saban

BamaNation First Team BigAlinKnoxville's Avatar

When he obtains the same records playing against SEC competition, then yeah, he can be "The Man." Until then, he's a really good coach who knocks out mediocre competition throughout the season in preparation for the games that matter.

Quote Originally Posted by BigAlinKnoxville View Post
    When he obtains the same records playing against SEC competition, then yeah, he can be "The Man." Until then, he's a really good coach who knocks out mediocre competition throughout the season in preparation for the games that matter.
    Just consider the three games leading up to the championship.

Clemson: South Carolina, Pitt, and Notre Dame.
    Alabama: Auburn, Georgia, and Oklahoma.

Or to put it another way according to Sagarain the #41, #50 and #7 team or the #15, #4, and #5 team.

That's not making excuses, but when you have that big a disparity it makes a difference.
    Apologies if I said anything that could be construed as a personal insult.
    "Everybody that chooses to go to the game should stay there and support the team for the game." - Nick Saban