Is Dabo Now "The Man" ?

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
The question though is, even with added pressure, is the Clemson schedule so light it won't really matter. Unless the ACC becomes a powerhouse conference over the off season, their toughest game looks like A&M, and they get them at Clemson. I certainly hope all they do is talk about Clemson all year and it gets in their heads.
I don't see any up and coming teams to challenge them. However, what can't be predicted is when Dabo is going to experience some "busts" and/or transfers in recruits that creates holes in his team. To think Clemson will be able to keep the same level of domination from their D line that they've been fortunate to have from the outgoing star front four, is being naive. It doesn't mean they won't continue to have very good DL's. But to expect to continually have four potential first round players present on your DL each year that you can convince to come back for their senior years? Good luck. If that happens then Dabo is selling more than just "Jesus". If Alabama, who is coached by the greatest college head coach of all time, can't avoid busts, attrition and dips at positions. I wouldn't expect Clemson can either.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
The question though is, even with added pressure, is the Clemson schedule so light it won't really matter. Unless the ACC becomes a powerhouse conference over the off season, their toughest game looks like A&M, and they get them at Clemson. I certainly hope all they do is talk about Clemson all year and it gets in their heads.
They can lose the aTm game, as it will be early in the season, and easier to overcome with subsequent success. Especially with their schedule. The only way they will be left out is a loss in the conference championship game.

Wouldn't hang my hopes on that happening.

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
No. He might be "The Man" years down the road but he's not close at this point.

I have questions. Some can be solidly answered. Some are speculative. Some are TBD.

1 - What would Dabo's record be in a tougher conference? (Specifically the SEC)

2 - Can Dabo consistently sustain the success he's built for himself?

3 - How many games the last 3-4 years has Clemson really been challenged and which teams did so?

I have more but now isn't the time and I won't load this thread with them.

I think Dabo is a very good head football coach. I'm still on the fence at times about his character but I don't know the man personally. A lot of that is because of his past at Bama that I don't know all the details of like many here have referenced as reasons for not wanting him when CNS retires. Some of my doubt is just raw gut feeling.

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
Re: Is Dabo Now " The Man " ?

I remember Bruce Feldman saying that Urban Meyer was the greatest living coach in January 2014. I knew he'd change his mind if Saban won more, and since that year Saban has been in the title game every year.

Dabo is clearly the second best coach in the country. Dabo is closer to Saban than anyone is to Dabo, but he's not on Saban's level yet.

UntouchableCrew

All-SEC
Nov 30, 2015

Saban is still the GOAT but I think Dabo is in the conversation for best coach out there at the moment. Nobody else has gone toe to toe with Saban like this -- 2-2 in four years with the winner being national champ every time.

Is he "the guy?" No, not yet. But if they win it all next year at our expense you can easily spin that narrative.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
No.

Do we have zero patience as a society now?

He's not "THE MAN." Clemson isn't a "Dynasty." Alabama's dynasty isn't over and Nick Saban has not lost his touch. These things may happen some day, but they have not as of yet.
To be fair Dabo said that Clemson is not a dynasty yet. He said they are not on Alabama's level but they're striving to get there.

Similar thing in the media happened in 2014 when Urban Meyer blitzed us in the semi finals and won the NC. All the talk was he had surpassed Saban. Consider what's happened since 2014 IRT Saban and Meyer. Similar situation could be setting up for Dabo. They will be the hunted next year. They will get everybody's best shot. I personally hope aTm beats them..

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I don't EVER want him to be our coach. And if he ever is, he STILL won't replace Saban.
Just like Coach Stallings could never replace Coach Bryant, but we still loved and appreciated that ONE title he brought to us. It doesn't have to be "either or;" it can be "both and."

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
To be fair Dabo said that Clemson is not a dynasty yet. He said they are not on Alabama's level but they're striving to get there.

Similar thing in the media happened in 2014 when Urban Meyer blitzed us in the semi finals and won the NC. All the talk was he had surpassed Saban. Consider what's happened since 2014 IRT Saban and Meyer. Similar situation could be setting up for Dabo. They will be the hunted next year. They will get everybody's best shot. I personally hope aTm beats them..
Yeah, Dabo doesn't want that mantle yet I don't blame him. But I'm truly referring to the media, and some fans, who just can't help themselves. This has happened after every single Alabama loss since about 2014.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
They can lose the aTm game, as it will be early in the season, and easier to overcome with subsequent success. Especially with their schedule. The only way they will be left out is a loss in the conference championship game.

Wouldn't hang my hopes on that happening.
For whatever reason, it seems Syracuse (or is it Pittsburgh?) gives them fits. If they're going to have a clunker in the regular season it seems to be this game.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
Overall yes but you’re kind of oversimplifying things and it doesn’t factor in a few things...

1. Injuries and suspensions.

2. QB’s having a “Garcia moment”. A player like a Johnny Manziel type coming out of nowhere.

3. Bad/missed calls in a game. Targeting or personal foul ejections from game. Costly penalties in the red zone that go from a TD to an FG.

4. Murphy’s Law. Bad/fluke turnovers. Special teams miscues. Sometimes a team can do no wrong. Other times they can do nothing right.

5. New year new team. Clemson reloads in talent just as Alabama does. However replacing talent is much different/easier than replacing leadership and the amount of leadership Clemson had (especially on defense) was legion. They had not 1 not 2 but 4 players in the same position group that could have been 1st round picks come back for their senior year. That just doesn’t happen these days and that’s not including what they lose at LB and DB. Those are voids that will be felt no matter what.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Overall yes but you’re kind of oversimplifying things and it doesn’t factor in a few things...

1. Injuries and suspensions.

2. QB’s having a “Garcia moment”. A player like a Johnny Manziel type coming out of nowhere.

3. Bad/missed calls in a game. Targeting or personal foul ejections from game. Costly penalties in the red zone that go from a TD to an FG.

4. Murphy’s Law. Bad/fluke turnovers. Special teams miscues. Sometimes a team can do no wrong. Other times they can do nothing right.

5. New year new team. Clemson reloads in talent just as Alabama does. However replacing talent is much different/easier than replacing leadership and the amount of leadership Clemson had (especially on defense) was legion. They had not 1 not 2 but 4 players in the same position group that could have been 1st round picks come back for their senior year. That just doesn’t happen these days and that’s not including what they lose at LB and DB. Those are voids that will be felt no matter what.
This right here is what ultimately catches up with teams attempting to maintain championship success. It's simply inevitable there will be a season in which the "next man up" won't pan out or be the same caliber as the player who left. When this happens at multiple position groups in the same season, someone else raises the trophy. Hence, Monday night.

Knowing this reality makes what Nick Saban and Alabama has done that much more impressive. Probably one of the reasons Dabo wouldn't put himself nor his program in Bama's dynasty status.

Last edited:

BradtheImpaler

All-American
Nov 16, 2010
Sugar Hill, GA

I sure hope all the talking heads - Cowherd, Klatt, and Bayless - say it is so. I hope it's all they talk about next season, and that Coach Saban chews on it like two Little Debbie Oatmeal Creme Pies every single day.

danb

All-SEC
Dec 4, 2011
Hazel Green, AL
I haven’t even listened to or watched sports this week, because I’ve forgotten how it feels to lose, and lose big. I knew the crap of Dabo being better than Saban would be spewed everywhere, and quite frankly I didn’t even want to get my BP up listening to it.

Dabo, is a good coach, and Clemson is a fine team, but they have enjoyed the luxury of a weak ACC. The same could probably be said about the SEC, but for the most part over the last 10 years the western division has been tough. Clemson has risen to their glory while having no real rivalry threat during the regular season. FSU and others that used to give them fits, have been shells of their former selves the last few years. Syracuse giving them tight games and beating them has been a mystery to me. I can only figure Syracuse circles that date on their calendars and works all year for that game. Clemson basically has had the luxury of practicing for the big game instead of having to really focus on a lot of their games to play to get there. Just look at that powerhouse matchup they had in the ACCCG.

Every season and every team in the conferences go through cycles, and Bama has proven year in and out to win the tough games even though we suffer injuries to key players, and manage to make it to the finals or the championship. Eventually, the perennial teams in the ACC that used to be good will challenge Clemson and ding them up through the season even if they manage to win those games. Only then will I conceded them to be in the discussion of being on the level of Alabama when it pertains to the level of success.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
The MAN selling PEDS by the dumpster behind the Clemson football complex, no I don’t think so!

Last edited:

DawgByte

1st Team
Dec 21, 2017
Is Dabo the man? Hmmmmm, no. However, he's certainly built a formidable program that I don't think is going away any time soon.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.