Question: Can - and Will - Something be Done to Change the CFB Yearly Calendar?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
As others have mentioned, Alabama has had a coordinator taking another job during the 2015, 2016, 2017, and 2018 playoffs while still coaching the team. On a national level, this will probably be dismissed as an "Alabama problem" and not seen as a big deal. However, it's evident it plays a role in the play of the team.

An obvious solution would be for the NCAA to implement a similar rule as the NFL - can interview coaches but a coach cannot be hired until his team's season is complete.

The issue there becomes recruiting. The early signing period is pushing teams to make quicker decisions in regards to firing and hiring coaches.

My only solution would be to have the early signing period prior to the season (for sure not during bowl season) like CBB does. Then, have the second signing period in March. If someone that signed during the early signing period doesn't like the new coach, he is free of his LOI and can sign wherever during the second period.

Do you see a way this ever gets changed? I'm afraid nothing will happen solely because it's not something many teams face. There have only been 10 teams in the CFP during its five year existence. That's only 7% of FBS that could possibly experience the problem. Just so happens Alabama has been in the CFP all five years and had a coordinator leaving four of those seasons.

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
I've long thought that the signing day should be eliminated altogether. Just let a player sign when he is ready to sign. As long as he has completed his junior year of high school then let him sign and stop the silly nonsense that is the signing day.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Go back to one signing period and make that in March or April, by then all new staffs would be in place and a recruit has had the opportunity to see if he stills favors the program(s) he has considered. I do not like the early signing period.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
Go back to one signing period and make that in March or April, by then all new staffs would be in place and a recruit has had the opportunity to see if he stills favors the program(s) he has considered. I do not like the early signing period.
The early signing period seems to have changed things for the worse. For the kids, for the teams competing in post season games and for coaching changes.

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
As others have mentioned, Alabama has had a coordinator taking another job during the 2015, 2016, 2017, and 2018 playoffs while still coaching the team. On a national level, this will probably be dismissed as an "Alabama problem" and not seen as a big deal. However, it's evident it plays a role in the play of the team.

An obvious solution would be for the NCAA to implement a similar rule as the NFL - can interview coaches but a coach cannot be hired until his team's season is complete.

The issue there becomes recruiting. The early signing period is pushing teams to make quicker decisions in regards to firing and hiring coaches.

My only solution would be to have the early signing period prior to the season (for sure not during bowl season) like CBB does. Then, have the second signing period in March. If someone that signed during the early signing period doesn't like the new coach, he is free of his LOI and can sign wherever during the second period.

Do you see a way this ever gets changed? I'm afraid nothing will happen solely because it's not something many teams face. There have only been 10 teams in the CFP during its five year existence. That's only 7% of FBS that could possibly experience the problem. Just so happens Alabama has been in the CFP all five years and had a coordinator leaving four of those seasons.
If an interview is conducted and they want the guy it won't matter. Last interview I had (for my current job) I was told on the spot I was the guy but they had protocol to follow. With social media of today it'll be more of a cluster than it is now.

Agree 100% with changing the signing periods.

And an athlete should be committed to the school. Not the coach. But the transfer debacle of today won't change because of all the potential future dollars at stake for the athletes and the NZAA is a poor excuse for an organization.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
If an interview is conducted and they want the guy it won't matter. Last interview I had (for my current job) I was told on the spot I was the guy but they had protocol to follow. With social media of today it'll be more of a cluster than it is now.

Agree 100% with changing the signing periods.

And an athlete should be committed to the school. Not the coach. But the transfer debacle of today won't change because of all the potential future dollars at stake for the athletes and the NZAA is a poor excuse for an organization.
That won't work anymore, given the vast differences in offensive and defensive philosophies.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
It's worked fine for the NFL teams for years.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.