Question: Can - and Will - Something be Done to Change the CFB Yearly Calendar?

Can - and Will - Something be Done to Change the CFB Yearly Calendar?

As others have mentioned, Alabama has had a coordinator taking another job during the 2015, 2016, 2017, and 2018 playoffs while still coaching the team. On a national level, this will probably be dismissed as an "Alabama problem" and not seen as a big deal. However, it's evident it plays a role in the play of the team.

An obvious solution would be for the NCAA to implement a similar rule as the NFL - can interview coaches but a coach cannot be hired until his team's season is complete.

The issue there becomes recruiting. The early signing period is pushing teams to make quicker decisions in regards to firing and hiring coaches.

My only solution would be to have the early signing period prior to the season (for sure not during bowl season) like CBB does. Then, have the second signing period in March. If someone that signed during the early signing period doesn't like the new coach, he is free of his LOI and can sign wherever during the second period.

Do you see a way this ever gets changed? I'm afraid nothing will happen solely because it's not something many teams face. There have only been 10 teams in the CFP during its five year existence. That's only 7% of FBS that could possibly experience the problem. Just so happens Alabama has been in the CFP all five years and had a coordinator leaving four of those seasons.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-American

Re: Can - and Will - Something be Done to Change the CFB Yearly Calendar?

I've long thought that the signing day should be eliminated altogether. Just let a player sign when he is ready to sign. As long as he has completed his junior year of high school then let him sign and stop the silly nonsense that is the signing day.

BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar

Go back to one signing period and make that in March or April, by then all new staffs would be in place and a recruit has had the opportunity to see if he stills favors the program(s) he has considered. I do not like the early signing period.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Quote Originally Posted by GrayTide View Post
    Go back to one signing period and make that in March or April, by then all new staffs would be in place and a recruit has had the opportunity to see if he stills favors the program(s) he has considered. I do not like the early signing period.
    The early signing period seems to have changed things for the worse. For the kids, for the teams competing in post season games and for coaching changes.
    to 16 and beyond........

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    As others have mentioned, Alabama has had a coordinator taking another job during the 2015, 2016, 2017, and 2018 playoffs while still coaching the team. On a national level, this will probably be dismissed as an "Alabama problem" and not seen as a big deal. However, it's evident it plays a role in the play of the team.

An obvious solution would be for the NCAA to implement a similar rule as the NFL - can interview coaches but a coach cannot be hired until his team's season is complete.

The issue there becomes recruiting. The early signing period is pushing teams to make quicker decisions in regards to firing and hiring coaches.

My only solution would be to have the early signing period prior to the season (for sure not during bowl season) like CBB does. Then, have the second signing period in March. If someone that signed during the early signing period doesn't like the new coach, he is free of his LOI and can sign wherever during the second period.

Do you see a way this ever gets changed? I'm afraid nothing will happen solely because it's not something many teams face. There have only been 10 teams in the CFP during its five year existence. That's only 7% of FBS that could possibly experience the problem. Just so happens Alabama has been in the CFP all five years and had a coordinator leaving four of those seasons.
    If an interview is conducted and they want the guy it won't matter. Last interview I had (for my current job) I was told on the spot I was the guy but they had protocol to follow. With social media of today it'll be more of a cluster than it is now.

Agree 100% with changing the signing periods.

And an athlete should be committed to the school. Not the coach. But the transfer debacle of today won't change because of all the potential future dollars at stake for the athletes and the NZAA is a poor excuse for an organization.
    "It's not the will to win that matters - everyone has that.
    It's the will to prepare to win that matters."
    PAUL "BEAR" BRYANT

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by CrimSonami View Post
    If an interview is conducted and they want the guy it won't matter. Last interview I had (for my current job) I was told on the spot I was the guy but they had protocol to follow. With social media of today it'll be more of a cluster than it is now.

Agree 100% with changing the signing periods.

And an athlete should be committed to the school. Not the coach. But the transfer debacle of today won't change because of all the potential future dollars at stake for the athletes and the NZAA is a poor excuse for an organization.
    That won't work anymore, given the vast differences in offensive and defensive philosophies.

Quote Originally Posted by CrimSonami View Post
    It's worked fine for the NFL teams for years.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."

Posted the videos in the post game thread, but I doubt it's just coincidence that the OL played as poorly as it did at times days after the Brent Key to Georgia Tech news broke.
    -- Coach Bryant