Was Brother Oliver Responsible for Clemson's Defensive Game Plan? - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame

Re: Was Brother Oliver Responsible for Clemson's Defensive Game Plan?

Quote Originally Posted by TiderJack View Post
    All the talk after the Miami NC game was what a great plan Oliver came up with. He may not have been listed as the DC (but I think he was) but he was the "coaching leader" of that great defense.
    That's what I meant by de facto DC. I am almost 100% certain I have read in some book about that season or that era that we didn't have a named defensive coordinator back then. But the brains behind the defense was Oliver.

And for the record, I don't think he had anything to do with Clemson's effort. If anyone is so bold as to go back and watch that game, you'll see that our offense was carving Clemson's defense to pieces. We made unforced errors - false starts, penalties, throwing into double/triple coverage - at critical times and that's why we only scored 16. Not because Clemson's defense had some great strategy. Well... I take that back. Their strategy was great. It was sit back and let this team implode and we obliged them.

2. Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by CoachJeff View Post
    There was no DC listed in 1990 or 1991 either.
    I was surprised that it only listed OC and HC. No position coaches at all were listed.

JOX mentioned Dabo honoring Woody McCorvey this morning. That had me wondering who all was on staff back this. Then, this thread popped up, and I had to start searching.

Quote Originally Posted by dayhiker View Post
    I was surprised that it only listed OC and HC. No position coaches at all were listed.

JOX mentioned Dabo honoring Woody McCorvey this morning. That had me wondering who all was on staff back this. Then, this thread popped up, and I had to start searching.
    Well...Coach Oliver and Coach Stallings were not exactly chummy at the time so maybe that had something to do with no official title.

I have not heard from or seen Coach Oliver in years so I don't know about his current health. Below is an interesting article about the connection between Dabo and Brother which was only written 2 years ago.

https://www.postandcourier.com/staff...3aa668439.html
    "If you get knocked down, get up"- Coach Paul Bear Bryant.

BamaNation Second Team

Quote Originally Posted by NativeTider View Post
    With all due respect to Brent Venables, I will bet you a ham sandwich Brother Bill Oliver was the one who came up with Clemson's defensive game plan. From Clemson lining up in a zero defense to the creative coverages and jumping of routes, it had Oliver's fingerprints all over it. Much the same way he got into Torretta's head in '92. Oliver has Clemson ties and is reportedly close to Dabo. What do y'all think?
    Clemson could have watch the unOFFICIAL Assistance Coaches video that's posted after every game and came up with a better game plan than Bill Oliver. I think Bill has been out of coaching too long to come up with defense game plan in today's offense.

BamaNation Second Team

Alabama has a lot of enemies. Some, we even confuse as "friends". Clemson prepped better than we did, and we had complacency hanging over our heads in that game. We deserved to lose it as much as Clemson deserved to win it. 2019 will be a better season because of the loss,and the way we lost.

I'll never look back and be grateful for a loss. But, time to put this one in the rear view and look forward to what we have returning. And how to get another shot at Clemson, who I will guarantee is not looking forward to playing Bama again.

BamaNation First Team snake plissken's Avatar

I actually think it was Gene Stallings who helped the Clemson staff come up with the defensive game plan. We all know how close he is to Dabo.

BamaNation All-American CaliforniaTide's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CoachJeff View Post
    It's a 4 hour drive from Durham to Clemson. What former Alabama coach would be able to help Clemson with a short drive like that? Who would have the motivation? Who had a defense known for shutting out team after team?

You guessed - Wallace Wade.
    Since there's no blue font, it must be true.
    It's the edge of the world
    And all of Western civilization
    The sun may rise in the East
    At least it settles in its final location
    It's understood that Hollywood
    Sells Californication - Red Hot Chili Peppers in Californication

Look at that dude go all Dareus on that colt...

BamaNation Hall of Fame cuda.1973's Avatar

CGS was the halftime guest, on our radio broadcast. I'll leave it at that.
    "I hate morning people.
    And mornings.

And people!"

Nah..I have it on good authority that Tom Landry & Buddy Ryan put the game plan together.
    "I didn't come to Alabama to win 10 games a year and be a contender. I came here to win championships. Conference championships and national championships. I love it here because that's just not what I want, but what this fanbase expects."
    --Alabama Head Football Coach, Nick Saban

“Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on it’s ability to climb a tree, it will spend it’s whole life believing it is stupid.” — Albert Einstein

BamaNation First Team snake plissken's Avatar

Didn’t Don Lindsey recruit Dabo? He could’ve had a hand in the game planning too.

BamaNation Second Team

We ran at will on them. Our play calling played right into what they wanted and we never adjusted. They had a great game plan but we didn’t help ourselves either.

BamaNation All-SEC

Wasn't the gist of Venables gameplan for his defense to not give up big plays and to keep everything in front of them, banking on the impatience of Bama's play callers? I'm not sure he needed outside talent to come up with that. Venables is one of the top defensive minds in the game today, this is a silly thread.

Quote Originally Posted by mlh View Post
    joe kines

i knew we should of ran an inside trap every play!
    Last edited by bamaga; January 11th, 2019 at 10:42 AM.
    to 16 and beyond........