Was Brother Oliver Responsible for Clemson's Defensive Game Plan?

editder

All-SEC
Nov 2, 2017
We ran at will on them. Our play calling played right into what they wanted and we never adjusted. They had a great game plan but we didn’t help ourselves either.
I would be interested in knowing what the approximately 40 analysts on the payroll concluded.

ptw1961

1st Team
Dec 8, 2011
Beyond highly unlikely.
You may think it's far fetched but he coached at Clemson, has a son who is a Clemson grad and is close to Dabo. I don't know why it's so hard to see him consulting with them. If he did I don't harbor any ill will. If I was in Dabo's shoes I might have done the same thing. Coach Oliver has one of the most creative and brilliant defensive minds ever especially when it comes to the secondary.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
It's a 4 hour drive from Durham to Clemson. What former Alabama coach would be able to help Clemson with a short drive like that? Who would have the motivation? Who had a defense known for shutting out team after team?

You guessed - Wallace Wade.
Meanwhile Danny Ford lives on his farm in Clemson.
Could their old coach have whispered in Venables ear?

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Correct with idea that Stallings and Oliver weren’t on the best of terms back in during that period. In 1995 he left to be Terry Bowden’s DC at Auburn. He was the interim head coach when Bowden stepped down in 1998 in the middle of the season. Oliver was quite bitter he didn’t get the permanent job when they hired Tuberville.
I’m certain there were more than a few coaches willing to impart their “wisdom” as to how to beat Bama. Did Dabo or Venables seek it out? Maybe. But as a previous poster stated, it wasn’t exactly like they shut us down offensively. We had over 400 yards in offense going into the 4th quarter. Turnovers and and poor play calling and execution aided in that.

Last edited:

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
Venables gets paid a fortune to do just what he did on Monday. I see no reason to doubt his ability to get into the head of a 19 year old.

rtr

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.