Kirby Smart's Success Leading to Further Attrition - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    BamaNation Third Team TheBeasKnees's Avatar

Re: Kirby Smart's Success Leading to Further Attrition

Quote Originally Posted by TitleWave View Post

Just a hunch, but I don't think special teams coach "Banksy" is in any danger of getting promoted upward and onward any time soon. Unless "Little Giants Jr.: The Special Teams Sequel" goes into production this year, of course...
    I am so glad you mentioned this. Believe it or not, Jeff Banks actually won an award for Special Teams Coordinator of the year. How is this possible? I have no earthly idea. But it happened. AL.com did an article on it stating that he was named Football Scoop's Special Teams Coordinator of the Year back on Dec. 20, 2018.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by TheBeasKnees View Post
    Sure. That's fair. Just keep in mind that UGA is about 30 combined seconds from being 2-0 against Bama in our last two meetings. It's not like we have just had our way with them.
    Oh I keep that in mind, but also keep in mind the amount of talent Kirby inherited, the state of the SECE, and the fact that Kirby's coaching props directly lead to him losing two games vs Alabama. I think its far too soon to just give Kirby that amount of credit just yet. Its like when everyone was going crazy about Mac winning the east two years in a row, and was totally shocked when the cupboard of talent went bare in year 3 of how much of a mediocre coach he really was without talent. Am I saying Kirby is equal to Mac in terms of coaching and recruiting? No, but I am saying we wont know where he is as a coach until he faces true competition for his division, and a year with massive turnover. This year will tell a lot about Kirby.
    "Aut viam inveniam aut faciam."

Hannibal

Quote Originally Posted by 81usaf92 View Post
    Oh I keep that in mind, but also keep in mind the amount of talent Kirby inherited, the state of the SECE, and the fact that Kirby's coaching props directly lead to him losing two games vs Alabama. I think its far too soon to just give Kirby that amount of credit just yet. Its like when everyone was going crazy about Mac winning the east two years in a row, and was totally shocked when the cupboard of talent went bare in year 3 of how much of a mediocre coach he really was without talent. Am I saying Kirby is equal to Mac in terms of coaching and recruiting? No, but I am saying we wont know where he is as a coach until he faces true competition for his division, and a year with massive turnover. This year will tell a lot about Kirby.
    Yeah I don't think it's fair to mention Mac and Kirby in the same sentence. What were the scores when we played Mac's Florida teams? And Kirby inherited a lot but he's also about to have a top 2 rated recruiting class for the second straight year. I get what you're saying about it still being early, but I think Kirby (with 1 SEC Championship and 1 CFP berth and a chance at both again this year) has already achieved a lot more Mac.

I don't really think the correlation is debatable. Just compare the rate at which coaches were getting snatched up before Smart left and the rate at which they're leaving now (which is almost every year). Also, Lupoi hasn't been replaced to my knowledge either. That's why I said "has had to replace Defensive Coordinators" because I'm speaking about the past four years; not this year.
    The correlation is debatable , because Kirby having success is not causing Alabama to lose coaches. Nick Saban is causing Alabama to lose coaches with his success. They aren’t hiring Alabama coaches because of Kirby.
    to 16 and beyond........

BamaNation Hall of Fame AlexanderFan's Avatar

Sure. That's fair. Just keep in mind that UGA is about 30 combined seconds from being 2-0 against Bama in our last two meetings. It's not like we have just had our way with them.
    And Alabama is one offensive pass interference call from having three of the last four national titles.

Can you even name any coaches who left before Smart?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "It's not luck, it's random bursts of talent." - Gage Robinson

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Yeah I don't think it's fair to mention Mac and Kirby in the same sentence. What were the scores when we played Mac's Florida teams? And Kirby inherited a lot but he's also about to have a top 2 rated recruiting class for the second straight year. I get what you're saying about it still being early, but I think Kirby (with 1 SEC Championship and 1 CFP berth and a chance at both again this year) has already achieved a lot more Mac.
    Mark Richt (1st 3 years): 32-8 (18-6 SEC) 1 SECC
    Kirby Smart: 32-10 (18-6 SEC) 1SECC

I think its hard to argue that Richt didn't inherit nearly the amount of talent from Jim Donnan as KS did from Richt. Its also hard to argue that KS has faced as stiff competition in the East as Richt did either. At some point you have to ask "what has changed?" The answer is "Nothing except KS is just more motivated than Mark Richt was in his final years at UGA, and on par with Mark Richt in his first 3 years."

FWIW I think Kirby is a GOOD coach, maybe a snake in the grass and a pouty man baby that I hope nothing but the worst for, but its hard to argue that he isn't one of the top 15 (maybe top 10) active coaches in college football. But a clear and present danger to Alabama.... I'm just not sold because he has had everything going for him but still couldn't finish the job. It is possible Kirby proves me wrong but in the meantime I just think him and UGA are just him and UGA and nothing more.
    Last edited by 81usaf92; January 10th, 2019 at 05:52 PM.
    "Aut viam inveniam aut faciam."

Hannibal

Quote Originally Posted by bamaga View Post
    The correlation is debatable , because Kirby having success is not causing Alabama to lose coaches. Nick Saban is causing Alabama to lose coaches with his success. They aren’t hiring Alabama coaches because of Kirby.
    That's causation. And sure you can debate whether or not Kirby's success has had an effect on how many Bama assistants have been hired since his departure. Correlation is the direct relationship between two variables. Those variables are the point in time when Kirby left and the increased rate at which assistants have been hired away from Bama since. The correlation between those two variables can't be debated.
    Last edited by TheBeasKnees; January 10th, 2019 at 03:57 PM.

[QUOTE=AlexanderFan;3371591]And Alabama is one offensive pass interference call from having three of the last four national titles.

Can you even name any coaches who left before Smart?

Sure. But I'm not sure what purpose that would serve.

That's causation. And sure you can debate whether or not Kirby's success has had an effect on how many Bama assistants have been hired since his departure. Correlation is the direct relationship between two variables. Those variables are the point in time when Kirby left and the increased rate at which assistants have been hired away from Bama since. The correlation between those two variables can't be debated.
    You are saying that the causation is Kirby Smart’s success, in your title . That is untrue. I will argue there is no correlation ( a mutual relationship between 2 or more things) , only coincidence. (a remarkable concurrence of events or circumstances without apparent causal connection) . I figured I would include the definitions before you would on the next post
    to 16 and beyond........

BamaNation All-SEC

Better news than the coveted award claimed by Banksy is, a successor to his special teams "reign" is only a phone call away and undoubtedly nestled in Saban's Rolodex for bolstering the 'Bama staff and STs standing!

I am so glad you mentioned this. Believe it or not, Jeff Banks actually won an award for Special Teams Coordinator of the year. How is this possible? I have no earthly idea. But it happened. AL.com did an article on it stating that he was named Football Scoop's Special Teams Coordinator of the Year back on Dec. 20, 2018.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Chukker Veteran's Avatar

I think many top flight coaches improve with age and experience. In my opinion, Saban is a better coach now than he was when he was younger and coaching at LSU.

I say that to point out that Kirby is having success now, but his head coaching may well improve with time and experience. Kirby has a solid foundation from coaching under Saban for such a long time, with the stage set for him to emerge as one of the very top coaches active in college ball.

On the other hand, he may well get burned out early or just poop out and lose his mojo.

Quote Originally Posted by bamaga View Post
    You are saying that the causation is Kirby Smart’s success, in your title . That is untrue. I will argue there is no correlation ( a mutual relationship between 2 or more things) , only coincidence. (a remarkable concurrence of events or circumstances without apparent causal connection) . I figured I would include the definitions before you would on the next post
    Haha. We could argue about this all day. From a purely mathematical perspective, a correlation between Kirby's departure and the increased rate of coaching turnover at Bama exists. Therefore, that correlation is not debatable. The causation is absolutely my opinion and debatable. I believe that Kirby's success is the causation of that correlation, but you can absolutely debate that if you want. I really think we just have a disconnect here over the word correlation.
    Last edited by TheBeasKnees; January 10th, 2019 at 04:22 PM.

Haha. We could argue about this all day. From a purely mathematical perspective, a correlation between Kirby's departure and the increased rate of coaching turnover at Bama exists. Therefore, that correlation is not debatable. The causation is absolutely my opinion and debatable. I believe that Kirby's success is the causation of that correlation, but you can absolutely debate that if you want. I really think we just have a disconnect here over the word correlation.

Ok, so how is Kirby’s success leading to attrition in your opinion? Are programs trying to emulate Kirby? Or are other programs wanting to emulate Nick and are encouraged by Kirby’s success?
    to 16 and beyond........