Kirby Smart's Success Leading to Further Attrition - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 27 to 39 of 43
  1. #27
    BamaNation All-American WylieTexasTider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    3,427

    Re: Kirby Smart's Success Leading to Further Attrition

    Quote Originally Posted by TheBeasKnees View Post
    I am so glad you mentioned this. Believe it or not, Jeff Banks actually won an award for Special Teams Coordinator of the year. How is this possible? I have no earthly idea. But it happened. AL.com did an article on it stating that he was named Football Scoop's Special Teams Coordinator of the Year back on Dec. 20, 2018.
    Banks is a very good ST coach. He had a head case in Skyler Delong at P and below average place kickers. The return teams and coverage teams were very highly rated. Saban commented that in practice Skyler kicked very well but, the big stage got him. Unless Banks is a licensed shrink, not sure what he could do.

    Look at his ST at aTm his punters were Ray Guy finalists and named All Americans. His place kickers were also amongst the best in the country. I fully expect our FG woes to be resolved with our new kicker coming in. The most talented kicker weíve had in years, maybe a decade or more.
    "What happened yesterday is history. What happens tomorrow is a mystery. What we do today makes a difference - the precious present moment."-Nick Saban

  2. #28
    BamaNation All-American
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    2,684

    Re: Kirby Smart's Success Leading to Further Attrition

    If I am a recruit with offers from Bama, Clemson, UT, and UGA, I would probably accept the offers in that order.

    CNS has had other-worldly success and has integrity in standing behind what he says.

    Dabo is a successful Johnny come lately with a folksy demeanor a good story about his upbringing to sell on the recruiting trail and a charisma that makes you want to play for him.

    Pruitt when he gets his machine rolling will likely be a balanced combo between CNS and Dabo technically strong and a very likeable guy.

    But, at least since he has become a HC, Smart has come across as whiny, petulent, and vindictive and rather dry in his personality. He acts like a insecure HS coach imo. Not at all someone I would like having a meal or beer with or inviting into my home. I just dont see how you hide these traits on the recruiting trail. I just dont see how he can do as well as he is doing without just bald face lying to recruits and parents. I think his program will rot from within over time.

    Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

  3. #29
    BamaNation Hall of Fame AlexanderFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    5,401

    Re: Kirby Smart's Success Leading to Further Attrition

    [QUOTE=TheBeasKnees;3371600]
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderFan View Post
    And Alabama is one offensive pass interference call from having three of the last four national titles.

    Can you even name any coaches who left before Smart?

    Sure. But I'm not sure what purpose that would serve.
    It would show that plenty of Bama coaches were leaving before Smart left. In recruiting it's referred to as the "Bama bump". To sum it up: Alabama does all the work and finds this unknown prospect and offers him a scholarship. Now that the recruit has been discovered others look at his film and suddenly they offer him a scholarship and his recruiting rankings skyrocket and he becomes a hot commodity. This is exactly what happens with Alabama assistant coaches as well. Saban does the homework and finds a coach, that coach performs well on a national stage, and suddenly he has his choice of employment. KS was by no means the first coach to parlay his time at Alabama into a higher paying job, and he certainly won't be the last.

    Honestly the only difference is that KS actually hung around until his preferred landing spot opened up.
    "It's not luck, it's random bursts of talent." - Gage Robinson

  4. #30
    BamaNation First Team graydogg85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Posts
    852

    Re: Kirby Smart's Success Leading to Further Attrition

    Quote Originally Posted by 81usaf92 View Post
    Mark Richt (1st 3 years): 32-8 (18-6 SEC) 1 SECC
    Kirby Smart: 32-10 (18-6 SEC) 1SECC

    I think its hard to argue that Richt didn't inherit nearly the amount of talent from Jim Donnan as KS did from Richt. Its also hard to argue that KS has faced as stiff competition in the East as Richt did either. At some point you have to ask "what has changed?" The answer is "Nothing except KS is just more motivated than Mark Richt was in his final years at UGA, and on par with Mark Richt in his first 3 years."

    FWIW I think Kirby is a GOOD coach, maybe a snake in the grass and a pouty man baby that I hope nothing but the worst for, but its hard to argue that he isn't one of the top 15 (maybe top 10) active coaches in college football. But a clear and present danger to Alabama.... I'm just not sold because he has had everything going for him but still couldn't finish the job. It is possible Kirby proves me wrong but in the meantime I just think him and UGA are just him and UGA and nothing more.
    Agree with this. Assuming they recruit well, I expect Mullen and Florida to overtake UGA as the dominant East Division program in the next 2-3 seasons, and foresee them as a larger long term threat than Georgia.

    Pruitt could have UT competitive again relatively quickly, but his assignment is a much tougher task and Pruitt himself is still too much of an unknown as a HC.

    Kirby is a good coach and frankly has been far more successful than I envisioned....I think a P5 progam, particularly a strong one with high expectations, is usually nuts for hiring a guy with no HC experience and I really expected Kirby to go more the way of Will Muschamp. Heís obviously doing a better job than Will did with a similar situation. But will he be appreciably better than Richt in the long term? Iíd not bet on it, especially if Mullen gets UF going the way I think he will.

  5. #31
    BamaNation Hall of Fame AlexanderFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    5,401

    Re: Kirby Smart's Success Leading to Further Attrition

    Quote Originally Posted by JDCrimson View Post
    If I am a recruit with offers from Bama, Clemson, UT, and UGA, I would probably accept the offers in that order.

    CNS has had other-worldly success and has integrity in standing behind what he says.

    Dabo is a successful Johnny come lately with a folksy demeanor a good story about his upbringing to sell on the recruiting trail and a charisma that makes you want to play for him.

    Pruitt when he gets his machine rolling will likely be a balanced combo between CNS and Dabo technically strong and a very likeable guy.

    But, at least since he has become a HC, Smart has come across as whiny, petulent, and vindictive and rather dry in his personality. He acts like a insecure HS coach imo. Not at all someone I would like having a meal or beer with or inviting into my home. I just dont see how you hide these traits on the recruiting trail. I just dont see how he can do as well as he is doing without just bald face lying to recruits and parents. I think his program will rot from within over time.

    Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    I think if you were to ask Justin Fields the lying part would be accurate.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "It's not luck, it's random bursts of talent." - Gage Robinson

  6. #32
    BamaNation Hall of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Sylacauga,AL
    Posts
    9,903

    Re: Kirby Smart's Success Leading to Further Attrition

    I think to answer the opís main question, ď no I donít think Kirby is responsible for the trendĒ. If you look at CNSís staffs from 2007-2013 they are full of older coaches that are happy with doing position coaching and young coaches that havenít generated much interest from bigger jobs. Of course the exceptions are with the OCs. But from 2013-present he has plugged pretty well known and thought of names into position coaching and coordinator positions who dream of bigger and better jobs. I think I credit the type of coaches that he is bringing in over Kirby Smart being the reason for the turnover. Point is had we had John Chavis, Brent Venerables, or a Kevin Steele type coaches then the turnover wouldnít be so bad because we wouldnít have coaches with immediate HC and coordinator aspirations.

  7. #33
    BamaNation First Team
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    262

    Re: Kirby Smart's Success Leading to Further Attrition

    Quote Originally Posted by Keeter View Post
    I think Pruitt was a better DC than Smart.....
    I don't know how you can reach that conclusion given the different durations in tenure between Smart and Pruitt. One year or even two years is not a large enough sample size.

  8. #34
    BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    21,055

    Re: Kirby Smart's Success Leading to Further Attrition

    Quote Originally Posted by DawgByte View Post
    I don't know how you can reach that conclusion given the different durations in tenure between Smart and Pruitt. One year or even two years is not a large enough sample size.
    IMO, Smart was a better DC during the era in which he was in that role, but he was not as effective toward the end. He had difficulty with 3rd down and long against spread offenses. Pruitt excelled at spread defense, and that probably makes him better today. But neither is a DC anymore, so it is immaterial.

  9. #35
    BamaNation All-SEC
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    1,283

    Re: Kirby Smart's Success Leading to Further Attrition

    They must have a sick sense of humor.

  10. #36
    BamaNation All-SEC
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    1,283

    Re: Kirby Smart's Success Leading to Further Attrition

    [QUOTE=AlexanderFan;3371714]
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBeasKnees View Post

    It would show that plenty of Bama coaches were leaving before Smart left. In recruiting it's referred to as the "Bama bump". To sum it up: Alabama does all the work and finds this unknown prospect and offers him a scholarship. Now that the recruit has been discovered others look at his film and suddenly they offer him a scholarship and his recruiting rankings skyrocket and he becomes a hot commodity. This is exactly what happens with Alabama assistant coaches as well. Saban does the homework and finds a coach, that coach performs well on a national stage, and suddenly he has his choice of employment. KS was by no means the first coach to parlay his time at Alabama into a higher paying job, and he certainly won't be the last.

    Honestly the only difference is that KS actually hung around until his preferred landing spot opened up.
    The root issue is that coaches are using Bama as a springboard, with increasing speed of turnover. I do not think CNS is going to become a folksy touchy-feely guy like Dabo as a way to hold on to his staff. My impression is that he is a stern taskmaster who demands long hours and total commitment from his staff. Tuscaloosa is probably not a great place to work if you want to have a life outside of your job. That said, why couldn't Bama start building in buyouts into the contracts they sign with assistant coaches? Say you sign on for three years, and if you leave to take another job, the school hiring you has to pay $5M to us. That would make the assistants very unattractive as a poaching target until their contract is complete. And you would still get people lining up to work for CNS because of the boost it gives their career. They would just know going in that they were committing to three years.

  11. #37
    BamaNation Hall of Fame bamaga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    JAWJA
    Posts
    6,876

    Re: Kirby Smart's Success Leading to Further Attrition

    It’s been said in years past that Nick demands 2 years from coaches he hires, after that , it’s hard to tell a coach they can’t better themselves.
    to 16 and beyond........

  12. #38
    BamaNation All-SEC
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    1,283

    Re: Kirby Smart's Success Leading to Further Attrition

    Quote Originally Posted by bamaga View Post
    It’s been said in years past that Nick demands 2 years from coaches he hires, after that , it’s hard to tell a coach they can’t better themselves.
    That is what he asks for, but lately he has not been getting even two. Look at Pruitt last year, or Deboll, or Locksley this year. Granted Locksley was on the staff before, but he only did one year as OC. Elevating the gentleman's agreement to a contract with teeth would stop this from happening.

  13. #39
    BamaNation Hall of Fame 92tide's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    East Point, Ga, USA
    Posts
    34,952

    Re: Kirby Smart's Success Leading to Further Attrition

    Quote Originally Posted by TRU View Post
    That is what he asks for, but lately he has not been getting even two. Look at Pruitt last year, or Deboll, or Locksley this year. Granted Locksley was on the staff before, but he only did one year as OC. Elevating the gentleman's agreement to a contract with teeth would stop this from happening.
    iirc, we had pruitt as dc for two years.
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

    - George Orwell

    If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they donít have to worry about the answers.

    ó Thomas Pynchon

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

TideFansStore.com Bama Gear

Alabama Crimson Tide gear at Fanatics.com