Kirby Smart's Success Leading to Further Attrition
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 43
  1. #1
    BamaNation Third Team TheBeasKnees's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Madison, AL
    Posts
    21

    Kirby Smart's Success Leading to Further Attrition

    EDIT: This main point of this post is not about Kirby Smart, but rather about the coaching turnover Bama seems to have yearly now and about how Saban will approach that.

    I think it's pretty obvious that what Kirby has built in Athens is/will be a thorn in Saban's side for years to come. But I think his success has also hurt Saban in a less obvious way and it was evident in the national championship game.

    Saban will have to replace his Offensive Coordinator for the fourth season in a row (Lane Kiffin, Brian Daboll, and now Mike Locksley), and has had to replace Defensive Coordinators for three of the last four years going into this season (Kirby Smart, Jeremy Pruitt, and Tosh Lupoi). And every time a coordinator leaves a substantial amount of their staff usually leaves with them.

    Out of the names listed above, Kirby Smart's loss had the biggest impact because of the amount of experience he had with the program and because of how much of the defensive staff he took with him. But Kirby's success at UGA (IMO) continues to hurt Bama now even more than his original departure. It seems like the coaching attrition Saban has had to deal with over the years has drastically accelerated in the past three years directly coinciding with Kirby Smart's success at UGA.

    QUESTION: Will Saban attempt to make any cultural changes around the program to promote the retention of staff after the outcome of this national championship game? Or do you think that Saban will stick to his business-like approach to coaches and just accept the coaching turnover each year?
    Last edited by TheBeasKnees; January 10th, 2019 at 04:09 PM.

  2. #2
    BamaNation Hall of Fame bamaga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    JAWJA
    Posts
    6,881

    Re: Kirby Smart's Success Leading to Further Attrition

    I donít see a correlation. Kirbyís success and Nick losing coaches have nothing to do with one another. If you see something, perhaps you should explain further. And I dare say Pruitt was a bigger loss than Smart! And LUPOI has not been replaced, not that I am aware of, anyway.
    Last edited by bamaga; January 10th, 2019 at 03:02 PM.
    to 16 and beyond........

  3. #3
    BamaNation All-SEC
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Marietta, GA
    Posts
    1,690

    Re: Kirby Smart's Success Leading to Further Attrition

    Quote Originally Posted by bamaga View Post
    I don’t see a correlation. And I dare say Pruitt was a bigger loss than Smart!
    I think Pruitt was a better DC than Smart.....

  4. #4
    BamaNation Hall of Fame CrimsonForce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    12,539

    Re: Kirby Smart's Success Leading to Further Attrition

    Actually, UT bungling their head coaching search probably cost us the NC this year. Had UT hired Schiano, or one of the ten coaches before/after him, Pruitt would have most likely stayed on board with us one more year. Basically a guarantee that the defense would've improved more over the season and played better against Clemson. So yea, UT's inept athletic department really hurt our chances this past season..

  5. #5
    BamaNation Hall of Fame 81usaf92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Sylacauga,AL
    Posts
    9,913

    Re: Kirby Smart's Success Leading to Further Attrition

    Quote Originally Posted by TheBeasKnees View Post
    I think it's pretty obvious that what Kirby has built in Athens is/will be a thorn in Saban's side for years to come. But I think his success has also hurt Saban in a less obvious way and it was evident in the national championship game.

    Saban will have to replace his Offensive Coordinator for the fourth season in a row (Lane Kiffin, Brian Daboll, and now Mike Locksley), and has had to replace Defensive Coordinators for three of the last four years going into this season (Kirby Smart, Jeremy Pruitt, and Tosh Lupoi). And every time a coordinator leaves a substantial amount of their staff usually leaves with them.

    Out of the names listed above, Kirby Smart's loss had the biggest impact because of the amount of experience he had with the program and because of how much of the defensive staff he took with him. But Kirby's success at UGA (IMO) continues to hurt Bama now even more than his original departure. It seems like the coaching attrition Saban has had to deal with over the years has drastically accelerated in the past three years directly coinciding with Kirby Smart's success at UGA.

    My question is, will Saban attempt to make any cultural changes around the program to promote the retention of staff after the outcome of this national championship game? Or do you think that Saban will stick to his business-like approach to coaches and just accept the coaching turnover each year?
    Kirby's defense was doing us no favors from 2013-2015. I think we may have held on to Kirby a year or two too long. Probably the biggest departure from the defense in the past few years is actually Pruitt. Its kinda odd that from 2013-2015 Kirby's defenses were lacking but the two years after they were some of the strongest. In otherwords its kinda funny that we started to regress the 4 years Pruitt wasn't on staff (2013-15), improved the 2 years he came back, and dropped off the year he left again.

    But before we anoint Kirby as a thorn in Saban's side we really need to see if he can recover from a massive hit like he just got (losing a ridiculous amount of starters to the draft, losing both coordinators, and losing 2 top recruited qbs 2 years in a row).
    "Aut viam inveniam aut faciam."

    Hannibal

  6. #6
    BamaNation Third Team TheBeasKnees's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Madison, AL
    Posts
    21
    Thread Starter

    Re: Kirby Smart's Success Leading to Further Attrition

    Quote Originally Posted by bamaga View Post
    I don’t see a correlation. Kirby’s success and Nick losing coaches have nothing to do with one another. If you see something, perhaps you should explain further. And I dare say Pruitt was a bigger loss than Smart! And LUPOI has not been replaced, not that I am aware of, anyway.
    I don't really think the correlation is debatable. Just compare the rate at which coaches were getting snatched up before Smart left and the rate at which they're leaving now (which is almost every year). Also, Lupoi hasn't been replaced to my knowledge either. That's why I said "has had to replace Defensive Coordinators" because I'm speaking about the past four years; not this year.

  7. #7
    BamaNation Third Team TheBeasKnees's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Madison, AL
    Posts
    21
    Thread Starter

    Re: Kirby Smart's Success Leading to Further Attrition

    Quote Originally Posted by Keeter View Post
    I think Pruitt was a better DC than Smart.....
    I agree completely. I'm talking about the effect of Smart's success as a head coach, though, not really the effect of losing him on our staff.

  8. #8
    BamaNation Third Team TheBeasKnees's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Madison, AL
    Posts
    21
    Thread Starter

    Re: Kirby Smart's Success Leading to Further Attrition

    Quote Originally Posted by 81usaf92 View Post
    Kirby's defense was doing us no favors from 2013-2015. I think we may have held on to Kirby a year or two too long. Probably the biggest departure from the defense in the past few years is actually Pruitt. Its kinda odd that from 2013-2015 Kirby's defenses were lacking but the two years after they were some of the strongest. In otherwords its kinda funny that we started to regress the 4 years Pruitt wasn't on staff (2013-15), improved the 2 years he came back, and dropped off the year he left again.

    But before we anoint Kirby as a thorn in Saban's side we really need to see if he can recover from a massive hit like he just got (losing a ridiculous amount of starters to the draft, losing both coordinators, and losing 2 top recruited qbs 2 years in a row).
    Absolutely agree, and just to clarify (because I think a lot of people are assuming this) I really don't think Smart is Saban's equal or some all-time great coach. I do believe, though, that his success over the past two years as a head coach has only made other schools want Saban assistants more.

  9. #9
    BamaNation Hall of Fame 81usaf92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Sylacauga,AL
    Posts
    9,913

    Re: Kirby Smart's Success Leading to Further Attrition

    Quote Originally Posted by TheBeasKnees View Post
    I agree completely. I'm talking about the effect of Smart's success as a head coach, though, not really the effect of losing him on our staff.
    I think having Marc Richt success in a weak east is nothing new to UGA or the SEC. Lets see how he does with competition and unexpected turnover like he is going to face this year before we really categorize him as a real thorn in CNS's side. He may be a real problem or he may be another dumdum that gives us more things to laugh at UGA about. I'm right now leaning towards the latter .
    "Aut viam inveniam aut faciam."

    Hannibal

  10. #10
    BamaNation Third Team
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    25

    Re: Kirby Smart's Success Leading to Further Attrition

    Quote Originally Posted by bamaga View Post
    And LUPOI has not been replaced, not that I am aware of, anyway.
    One can hope!

  11. #11
    BamaNation Third Team TheBeasKnees's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Madison, AL
    Posts
    21
    Thread Starter

    Re: Kirby Smart's Success Leading to Further Attrition

    Quote Originally Posted by 81usaf92 View Post
    I think having Marc Richt success in a weak east is nothing new to UGA or the SEC. Lets see how he does with competition and unexpected turnover like he is going to face this year before we really categorize him as a real thorn in CNS's side. He may be a real problem or he may be another dumdum that gives us more things to laugh at UGA about. I'm right now leaning towards the latter .
    Sure. That's fair. Just keep in mind that UGA is about 30 combined seconds from being 2-0 against Bama in our last two meetings. It's not like we have just had our way with them.

  12. #12
    BamaNation All-SEC
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,819

    Re: Kirby Smart's Success Leading to Further Attrition

    Quote Originally Posted by TheBeasKnees View Post
    I think it's pretty obvious that what Kirby has built in Athens is/will be a thorn in Saban's side for years to come. But I think his success has also hurt Saban in a less obvious way and it was evident in the national championship game.

    Saban will have to replace his Offensive Coordinator for the fourth season in a row (Lane Kiffin, Brian Daboll, and now Mike Locksley), and has had to replace Defensive Coordinators for three of the last four years going into this season (Kirby Smart, Jeremy Pruitt, and Tosh Lupoi). And every time a coordinator leaves a substantial amount of their staff usually leaves with them.

    Out of the names listed above, Kirby Smart's loss had the biggest impact because of the amount of experience he had with the program and because of how much of the defensive staff he took with him. But Kirby's success at UGA (IMO) continues to hurt Bama now even more than his original departure. It seems like the coaching attrition Saban has had to deal with over the years has drastically accelerated in the past three years directly coinciding with Kirby Smart's success at UGA.

    My question is, will Saban attempt to make any cultural changes around the program to promote the retention of staff after the outcome of this national championship game? Or do you think that Saban will stick to his business-like approach to coaches and just accept the coaching turnover each year?


    Just a hunch, but I don't think special teams coach "Banksy" is in any danger of getting promoted upward and onward any time soon. Unless "Little Giants Jr.: The Special Teams Sequel" goes into production this year, of course...

  13. #13
    BamaNation Second Team
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    131

    Re: Kirby Smart's Success Leading to Further Attrition

    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonForce View Post
    Actually, UT bungling their head coaching search probably cost us the NC this year. Had UT hired Schiano, or one of the ten coaches before/after him, Pruitt would have most likely stayed on board with us one more year. Basically a guarantee that the defense would've improved more over the season and played better against Clemson. So yea, UT's inept athletic department really hurt our chances this past season..
    tennessee is like herpes. It lies in wait, but it's always there to ruin the day. Thanks for nothing competitive on the field at all, for a decade.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

TideFansStore.com Bama Gear

Alabama Crimson Tide gear at Fanatics.com