What the 2019 Defense Returns (As of 10:30 on 1/11)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What the 2019 Defense Returns (As of 10:30 on 1/11)

Some can change their mind before the Monday deadline, but this is what the 2019 defense has coming back (guys that started in 2018 are in bold):

DL Raekwon Davis
    DL LaBryan Ray
    DL Phidarian Mathis

OLB Anfernee Jennings
    OLB Terrell Lewis
    OLB Christopher Allen

ILB Mack Wilson
    ILB Dylan Moses

CB Trevon Diggs
    CB Pat Surtain, II

DB Shy Carter
    DB Jared Mayden

S Deionte Thompson
    S Xavier McKinney

The experience coming back for the 2019 season is going to be great. Returning five starters in the secondary will be huge.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation First Team CincinnatiAlum's Avatar

Re: What the 2019 Defense Returns (As of 10:30 on 1/11)

RTR These boys better come back hungry!!! NEVER AGAIN!
    Plus I really want to see Eyobi Anoma get some serious time!!!

BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

I think that Mathis is going to be great - can't wait to see him get more snaps. I am still very worried about the ILB play.

BamaNation First Team

Looks like we should be better everywhere except possibly DL, assuming ILB and S positions improve with the experience they gained. I really hope Lewis can stay healthy next year.

BamaNation First Team

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    I think that Mathis is going to be great - can't wait to see him get more snaps. I am still very worried about the ILB play.
    I hope you are right about Mathis. Not quite sold on him yet myself.

Quote Originally Posted by BamaMark. View Post
    Looks like we should be better everywhere except possibly DL, assuming ILB and S positions improve with the experience they gained. I really hope Lewis can stay healthy next year.
    Q was special - no one is going to duplicate that next year. But you don't need that kind of play from the DT position in your defense.

BamaNation All-American Intl.Aperture's Avatar

Q was special - no one is going to duplicate that next year. But you don't need that kind of play from the DT position in your defense.
    Not with Lewis and Jennings returning. Plus Anoma will have had another year in the system.
    “And what's strange, what would be marvelous, is not that God should really exist; the marvel is that such an idea, the idea of the necessity of God, could enter the head of such a savage, vicious beast as man.”
    - Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

BamaNation All-American Bama-94-00's Avatar

Saivion Smith is also returning as a starter. He's a senior now.

(Nevermind he declared for the NFL draft since I originally posted this.)
    Last edited by Bama-94-00; January 13th, 2019 at 08:55 PM. Reason: declared for draft

BamaNation Hall of Fame

We're gonna be a different defensive unit next year. This season's strategy and performance was the confluence of inexperienced staff with inexperienced players in the back seven. I think we got a bit snake bitten with the blitz and got away from disguise and complexity in favor of trying to mitigate being out of position. The straight up losing guys in space got to be less of a problem as the season wore on but you could tell that the better teams were well equipped to move on us in the air because the plan was pretty basic...you just need a little bit of protection to wiggle the guys open.

Next year, I expect a unit more like 2016 and 2017 where we get more complex with what we do up front because the secondary ought to be well situated.
    I owe it to the people to have a signature...so here goes nothing!

BamaNation All-American Bama-94-00's Avatar

Bama needs to develop a solid 2-deep of Def players and use them regularly especially the DL and LB.
    RTR!

BamaNation All-American

If we don't get better inside LB play we're still leaving a giant hole in the middle of the field. Dylan's physical gifts far exceeded his performance. And for the life of me, I still don't know if Mac has a clue.

BamaNation Hall of Fame CrimsonForce's Avatar

Maybe we need to simplify the defense some considering we almost always have a big talent advantage over the other team. Just seems like the ILB are processing plays very slow or guessing which means they either don't know their assignments or they're thinking to much instead of just taking a simplified approach. I know this isn't Saban's style but sometimes you have to cater to the talent you have and we just don't have a ILB that's cerebral like Rolando, Mosley, Hightower, Ragland etc..

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonForce View Post
    Maybe we need to simplify the defense some considering we almost always have a big talent advantage over the other team. Just seems like the ILB are processing plays very slow or guessing which means they either don't know their assignments or they're thinking to much instead of just taking a simplified approach. I know this isn't Saban's style but sometimes you have to cater to the talent you have and we just don't have a ILB that's cerebral like Rolando, Mosley, Hightower, Ragland etc..
    I would bench Mack before I take this step.