Question: Will the '19 Defense improve? - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    BamaNation All-SEC

Re: Will the '19 Defense improve?

Yes. We will be much deeper and being honest, more skilled in the defensive backfield.

rtr

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame TiderJack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by UAllday View Post
    I do feel good about that, I did preseason this year as well. We will still have a lack of depth at same positions we did this year. If we can keep the two deep healthy would be a big help. Lack of rotation even early on tells me we are lacking the difference makers of years past in the rotation. This recruiting class will boost secondary, dline depth but we have to hope a few step on campus ready to contribute. I have to be honest, I am more concerned going in to next year
    Preseason this year we were replacing all of our 6 DB's so I was not as optimistic about our D this year. Next year we return all 6 DB's plus bringing in a great DB class which is going to make the competition incredible. We are only losing Q and Buggs so I expect next years D to be much better.

One thing I do want to see is much better and more consistent play from our ILB's.

BamaNation All-American dWarriors88's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Ols View Post
    Feel Better? on TideFans.com

DL Raekwon Davis
    DL LaBryan Ray
    DL Phidarian Mathis

OLB Anfernee Jennings
    OLB Terrell Lewis
    OLB Christopher Allen

ILB Mack Wilson
    ILB Dylan Moses

CB Trevon Diggs
    CB Pat Surtain, II

DB Shy Carter
    DB Jared Mayden

S Deionte Thompson
    S Xavier McKinney

Mostly starters this past year...We have sooo much more in the cupboard, and the incoming class. RTR!!!
    If those Linebackers start getting injuries again we're in trouble. And not trying to by mr.eeyore but the DL is gonna need to come along a lot to match the previous years threat.
    At Some Places They Play Football.
    At Alabama, We LIVE It.

"...Ain't nothin' but a winner."

BamaNation Second Team

Quote Originally Posted by TiderJack View Post
    Preseason this year we were replacing all of our 6 DB's so I was not as optimistic about our D this year. Next year we return all 6 DB's plus bringing in a great DB class which is going to make the competition incredible. We are only losing Q and Buggs so I expect next years D to be much better.

One thing I do want to see is much better and more consistent play from our ILB's.
    A weak/inexperienced secondary can be masked if you have consistent pressure on the QB.(i.e Clemson) I was thinking this could be one of our best pass rush years since 2015/2016 allowing the young secondary to come into their own. My concern is not with our starters, or even presumed 2 deep, I just feel that we are once again a couple injuries away from same boat as this year. The NC game is reason for me looking ahead and looking at depth. As the game moves more towards passing the ball, the defense has to have a lot of production rushing the passer and 6 dbs that can ball out.

Quote Originally Posted by CrimSonami View Post
    Now that we know, presumably, that "Q" is the only early declaration will the defense improve?

I realize it was Tosh's first shot out of the gun and we started out great but faltered later into the SEC run. I also think there was A LOT more yapping with the opposition and lack of focus this year. Or was this just the year injury and youth played a large part in having trouble with UGA and Clemson?

I wanna feel better about next season but I'm gonna need some help with that from my TideFans brethren.

TIA
    I certainly hope we curtail the trash talking and strutting around after making a tackle. Knock them on their butt, help them up, pat them on the head, then do it again.

I think we'll be better next year with more experience for our young guys this year. We also have top-rated talent coming in. But I hope we can do better with the game planning. We seemed confused and missed a lot of assignments, especially in post-season play.

BamaNation First Team TNElephantitis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mlh View Post
    I certainly hope we curtail the trash talking and strutting around after making a tackle. Knock them on their butt, help them up, pat them on the head, then do it again.

I think we'll be better next year with more experience for our young guys this year. We also have top-rated talent coming in. But I hope we can do better with the game planning. We seemed confused and missed a lot of assignments, especially in post-season play.
    I hate to keep referencing Herbstreit but before the OU game he said he saw some emotions and chippyness in our players he’d never seen before. It definitely stuck with me going into the NCG that we just didn’t seem like ourselves

BamaNation All-SEC

Quote Originally Posted by dWarriors88 View Post
    If those Linebackers start getting injuries again we're in trouble. And not trying to by mr.eeyore but the DL is gonna need to come along a lot to match the previous years threat.
    Behind those listed we do at least have Latu, anoma and parks who all have had a seasons worth of time with the team, and at least some PT (not enough, but that is another, longer story). Hopefully we find a way to get this years promising freshmen into roles where they can gain some experience and be able to contribute down the stretch if needed.

ILB we have Moody, who, despite his 3 star rating, the staff seems very high on, and Kaho, who with some weight should be able to play more of a role also. Both of them at least got a lot of time on special teams units so hopefully that at least helped them get a feel for the speed of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Bourbon View Post
    I feel better seeing that depth chart, honestly. The new blood will have some contributors as well. Hopefully we can have some more depth in the rotation. I think with the new high flying offense the defensive strategy may need to change a bit to accommodate. We dont need to hold everyone under 10 points with this O.
    The depth and experience look great. Linebacker play is still the great unknown and our greatest weakness.

BamaNation All-SEC

D should be better next year, specifically the secondary which was young and/or inexperienced this year. It'll be interesting to watch Clemson next year as their team will be almost a mirror image of this year's Bama team - returning a ton of young talent on offense but losing the heart of their defense - they lose 7 starters plus a couple of key backups. They lose their entire starting DL plus their top backup DL, plus their best CB and their best LB.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by tidehawk View Post
    Question is, who's gonna coach them? We are losing coaches left and right.
    Good chance that Coach Saban's Black Book has info on several young coaches who may be ready to move to the big time. OR... With the NFL turnover this year, Coach Saban may offer someone who wants a shot at stability.
    My guess would be that a lot of young guys who are relatively unknown would accept a pay increase, and the notoriety of coaching at Alabama.

Here's a question to all guys who work for a living.
    WOULD YOU ACCEPT A JOB AT DOUBLE YOUR SALARY FOR WORKING AN ADDITIONAL 15-25 HOURS A WEEK.
    If your honest and think about your family,
    I think a lot of guys would accept a job at Alabama.
    I know I would have. I managed to work 10-20 hours extra a week, before I worked a second job.
    Last edited by Ole Man Dan; January 11th, 2019 at 03:10 PM. Reason: format

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by Tidetwin View Post
    The depth and experience look great. Linebacker play is still the great unknown and our greatest weakness.
    Agreed. Dylan performed far below his potential, and Mac looked lost almost season long. Would be curious to have a transcript of Saban's season-closing thoughts with both of them.
    Last edited by CrimsonEyeshade; January 11th, 2019 at 03:26 PM.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by mlh View Post

The strutting around by Williams after a sack didn't sit well to me.
    Don't get me wrong, I like Williams, but I think he would have been better, not calling attention to himself.
    Let his tackles speak for themselves.
    I think back to the 'Throat Slash Gesture' and penalties.
    Last edited by Ole Man Dan; January 11th, 2019 at 03:19 PM. Reason: format

BamaNation All-SEC

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEyeshade View Post
    Agreed. Dylan performed far below his potential, and Mac looked lost season long. Would be curious to have a transcript of Saban's season-closing thoughts with both of them.
    I hesitate to type this, but I put a lot of that on Mack. he's got a lot of tools, but I am not convinced he was able to become a leader / playcaller and I think that made Moses also play tentative. I recall in one of the earlier games this season when McMillon had subbed in and was making the calls, you could actually hear him, very well and very clearly making calls, id'ing alignments and making changes. He sounded assertive and in charge and everyone knew exactly what was going on. I can't recall ever hearing Mack like that. I'm not calling for mcMillon over mack or anything like, but mack has to get a lot closer to the way mcmillon was calling those things out, OR the staff is going to have to see if Moses can step up into the play caller role.