Question: Will the '19 Defense improve? - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 27 to 39 of 69
  1. #27
    BamaNation All-SEC
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Hunts Patch
    Posts
    1,127

    Re: Will the '19 Defense improve?

    We will need a lot of production out of the incoming class, but I feel good about that. We have a great mix of raw talent and seniority.

    I also think there may be a simplification of the defense coming. Saban's "Thou shalt not gain thee a yard" era is over, I expect, and we'll move to a more opportunistic defense, a takeaway defense, that perhaps gives up more yards but gives us a better "exchange ratio" in terms of drives. This will also allow hyper-athletic incoming bluechips to contribute sooner.

    EDIT - dont want that to sound like total abandonment of previous principles, just a moderate change in acknowledgement of the fact that field position is becoming less important than possession.
    Last edited by DrollTide; January 11th, 2019 at 02:50 PM.

  2. #28
    BamaNation Hall of Fame TiderJack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Inverness, AL
    Posts
    8,584

    Re: Will the '19 Defense improve?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ole Man Dan View Post
    The strutting around by Williams after a sack didn't sit well to me.
    Don't get me wrong, I like Williams, but I think he would have been better, not calling attention to himself.
    Let his tackles speak for themselves.
    I think back to the 'Throat Slash Gesture' and penalties.
    I was somewhat OK with it but when he did it on a TFL when we were down 21 pts and they were driving it did not sit well with me either. That's when you shut up, get back in the huddle and try to do it again.

  3. #29
    BamaNation Hall of Fame TiderJack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Inverness, AL
    Posts
    8,584

    Re: Will the '19 Defense improve?

    Quote Originally Posted by DrollTide View Post
    We will need a lot of production out of the incoming class, but I feel good about that. We have a great mix of raw talent and seniority.

    I also think there may be a simplification of the defense coming. Saban's "Thou shalt not gain thee a yard" era is over, I expect, and we'll move to a more opportunistic defense, a takeaway defense, that perhaps gives up more yards but gives us a better "exchange ratio" in terms of drives. This will also allow hyper-athletic incoming bluechips to contribute sooner.

    EDIT - dont want that to sound like total abandonment of previous principles, just a moderate change in acknowledgement of the fact that field position is becoming less important than possession.
    As it stands now, we have 9 starters coming back on D and 8 on offense so we do not need a "lot" of production out of the incoming class. A couple may start and some will play but they will provide depth and compete against all the other 4* and 5* guys who are not returning starters to get on the field.

  4. #30
    BamaNation All-American
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    3,848

    Re: Will the '19 Defense improve?

    Quote Originally Posted by TiderJack View Post
    As it stands now, we have 9 starters coming back on D and 8 on offense so we do not need a "lot" of production out of the incoming class. A couple may start and some will play but they will provide depth and compete against all the other 4* and 5* guys who are not returning starters to get on the field.
    This has got to be one of the most experienced teams returning we've had recently. Anyone have stats on that?

  5. #31
    BamaNation Hall of Fame TiderJack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Inverness, AL
    Posts
    8,584

    Re: Will the '19 Defense improve?

    Quote Originally Posted by RollTide_HTTR View Post
    This has got to be one of the most experienced teams returning we've had recently. Anyone have stats on that?
    Agreed and I don't have the stats but I don't recall having 17 returning starters in the Saban era.

  6. #32

    Re: Will the '19 Defense improve?

    Lots of returning talent - that's good. But we saw what an experienced (15 games is experienced) D can still do when not properly prepared. We're going to need to see Scott and Golding both really improve at their coaching positions for this talent to perform where it's capable of - it seems like the ILB regressed throughout the season and the DB seemed to languish developmentally.
    Oderint dum metuant - Lucius Accius

  7. #33
    BamaNation All-SEC Ledsteplin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    1,153

    Re: Will the '19 Defense improve?

    Quote Originally Posted by crimsonaudio View Post
    Lots of returning talent - that's good. But we saw what an experienced (15 games is experienced) D can still do when not properly prepared. We're going to need to see Scott and Golding both really improve at their coaching positions for this talent to perform where it's capable of - it seems like the ILB regressed throughout the season and the DB seemed to languish developmentally.
    I don't know they regressed as much as the opposing defenses got tougher as we got into the later schedule. In any event, I would hope any glaring defensive issues be addressed and solved in spring and fall practice.

  8. #34
    BamaNation Scout Team
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    7

    Re: Will the '19 Defense improve?

    I have told my Tide friends that "DEFENSE" wins championships for all my life and I still believe it. If you look at Saban's track record he has won every year because of defense. I really struggled at times with our guys giving up so many yards, big plays, and points this year. Bama gave up 23, 31, 21, 17, 21, 28, and 44 points. They absolutely could not get off the field on 3rd down. Something must change next year. I am not sure if its play calling or talent but boy we really looked lost and confused at times.

  9. #35
    BamaNation Hall of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Tuscaloosa
    Posts
    18,413

    Re: Will the '19 Defense improve?

    Really hope we get a two-deep rotation going at each OLB position next year. With Lewis, Jennings, Allen, and Anoma it just doesn't make sense to do anything other than liberally rotate these guys. Mathis and Ray ought to be fine players for the DL but depth is the question mark. I don't even know what the two-deep looks like over there.

    The last time we had our entire secondary (base, nickel, and dime packages) return was 2011. 2016 was the next season closest in terms of secondary continuity because of Tony Brown being out to start the season. You know what those two seasons had in common?
    I owe it to the people to have a signature...so here goes nothing!

  10. #36
    Super Moderator RTR91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Prattville
    Posts
    38,679

    Re: Will the '19 Defense improve?

    Quote Originally Posted by ACE2 View Post
    I have told my Tide friends that "DEFENSE" wins championships for all my life and I still believe it. If you look at Saban's track record he has won every year because of defense. I really struggled at times with our guys giving up so many yards, big plays, and points this year. Bama gave up 23, 31, 21, 17, 21, 28, and 44 points. They absolutely could not get off the field on 3rd down. Something must change next year. I am not sure if its play calling or talent but boy we really looked lost and confused at times.
    Some of this is just not true.

    First, Alabama was #15 going into the title game by allowing opponents to convert 31.9% of their third downs. After Clemson converted 67%, Alabama dropped to #24 (34.2%).

    Second, Alabama finished #12 in scoring defense by giving up 18.1 points per game. That's holding their opponents to 15.5 points per game less than their average.

    Third, UA fave up an average of 319.5 yards per game, which ranks #16.

    Finally, you mention the big plays. I'm not going through the Clemson plays to check right now, but I can tell you of the 56 "explosive" (20+ yards) given up by the defense in the previous 14 games 36 came when Alabama was up by 20+ points. Only nine were in the first quarter.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

    "We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

  11. #37
    Super Moderator RTR91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Prattville
    Posts
    38,679

    Re: Will the '19 Defense improve?

    Quote Originally Posted by rgw View Post
    Really hope we get a two-deep rotation going at each OLB position next year. With Lewis, Jennings, Allen, and Anoma it just doesn't make sense to do anything other than liberally rotate these guys. Mathis and Ray ought to be fine players for the DL but depth is the question mark. I don't even know what the two-deep looks like over there.

    The last time we had our entire secondary (base, nickel, and dime packages) return was 2011. 2016 was the next season closest in terms of secondary continuity because of Tony Brown being out to start the season. You know what those two seasons had in common?
    With the depth at LB, there should be a few rotations. Parks and Latu should get playing time behind the ones you mentioned. Plus, the ILB guys. Hopefully, it happens this year.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

    "We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

  12. #38
    BamaNation All-American
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    3,848

    Re: Will the '19 Defense improve?

    Quote Originally Posted by crimsonaudio View Post
    Lots of returning talent - that's good. But we saw what an experienced (15 games is experienced) D can still do when not properly prepared. We're going to need to see Scott and Golding both really improve at their coaching positions for this talent to perform where it's capable of - it seems like the ILB regressed throughout the season and the DB seemed to languish developmentally.
    True. But you gotta think we'll be better off with Diggs back healthy and Surtain a year older (I'm sure he gets a ton of outside coaching).

    I'm hoping there is a change in Golding's responsibilities or something. Or at least some kind of fix for the ILBs
    Last edited by RollTide_HTTR; January 11th, 2019 at 04:21 PM.

  13. #39
    BamaNation Second Team
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    120

    Re: Will the '19 Defense improve?

    I feel good with next years D.

    I think depth was lacking on D line. Hopefully Alfano is as good as stated.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

TideFansStore.com Bama Gear