Question: Will the '19 Defense improve? - Page 4
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Re: Will the '19 Defense improve?

The question is: who will have a season ending injury? That has become a pattern.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ACE2 View Post
    I have told my Tide friends that "DEFENSE" wins championships for all my life and I still believe it. If you look at Saban's track record he has won every year because of defense. I really struggled at times with our guys giving up so many yards, big plays, and points this year. Bama gave up 23, 31, 21, 17, 21, 28, and 44 points. They absolutely could not get off the field on 3rd down. Something must change next year. I am not sure if its play calling or talent but boy we really looked lost and confused at times.
    Alabama had an absolutely incredible defense in 2016 and lost to Clemson in the CFPCG. Sometimes you are the windshield, and sometimes you are the bug.

Quote Originally Posted by The Ols View Post
    Feel Better? on TideFans.com

DL Raekwon Davis
    DL LaBryan Ray
    DL Phidarian Mathis

OLB Anfernee Jennings
    OLB Terrell Lewis
    OLB Christopher Allen

ILB Mack Wilson
    ILB Dylan Moses

CB Trevon Diggs
    CB Pat Surtain, II

DB Shy Carter
    DB Jared Mayden

S Deionte Thompson
    S Xavier McKinney

Mostly starters this past year...We have sooo much more in the cupboard, and the incoming class. RTR!!!
    Okay. I'm officially off the ledge now but what's the expectation, particularly at Safety, now that 2 more defensive players have declared?
    "It's not the will to win that matters - everyone has that.
    It's the will to prepare to win that matters."
    PAUL "BEAR" BRYANT

Maybin steps in at S and we have a few options next to DM (Shane Lee?)...We have an incredible class coming in and a few kids that have been waiting in the wings...I really like how our D is shaping up for '19!
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimSonami View Post
    Okay. I'm officially off the ledge now but what's the expectation, particularly at Safety, now that 2 more defensive players have declared?

I belive Keaton Anderson, or Townsend will get the first opportunity or maybe Mayden. Of course we have Battle and Hellams coming in with the new class so they are opportunities, options there for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Blindside13 View Post
    I belive Keaton Anderson, or Townsend will get the first opportunity or maybe Mayden. Of course we have Battle and Hellams coming in with the new class so they are opportunities, options there for sure.
    Pretty sure Keaton is going back to Florence to get started with one of the family businesses. IIRC, he was even honored during Senior Day.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    Pretty sure Keaton is going back to Florence to get started with one of the family businesses. IIRC, he was even honored during Senior Day.
    Gotcha I thought he had one more season left.

BamaNation All-American Padreruf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blindside13 View Post
    Gotcha I thought he had one more season left.
    He does...probably tired of all practice and little play...wears out even the best.
    "The greatest evil in the world is not 'not knowing;' it is not knowing that you do not know." Alfred North Whitehead

BamaNation All-American WylieTexasTider's Avatar

Honestly, I believe the 2019 secondary may be one of Sabanís best baring major injuries.

Diggs and Surtain will be very solid at CB and both have the ability to be on an Island to allow for some more blitzes unlike this year. Carter came into his own at Star as the year went on and will be that much better with another spring and fall camp under his belt.

Xavier McKinney will be our next stud at safety a la Haha, Collins, Barron etc. Out of Mayden, Jobe, Wright, Knott and JAD, I am confident a second safety and $ can be found as well as some depth.

The DL has a nice starting group in Ray, Mathis and Davis. I expect. Baramore and Wynn to step up and add depth along with EE Alfano. Truly expect 6-7 guys rotate.

The OLB group should be lights out with Lewis, Allen, Jennings and Anoma. (Donít count out Latu getting reps as well. Could go 5 deep there.) The ILB is the weakness. However, with better coaching, Moses will take his game to the next level. I look for Ale Kaho and Josh McMillan to battle it out to start next to Moses. Kaho is going to be a star once he has some additional reps. Having the spring and entire fall practice will be huge for him.
    "What happened yesterday is history. What happens tomorrow is a mystery. What we do today makes a difference - the precious present moment."-Nick Saban

BamaNation Hall of Fame AlexanderFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WylieTexasTider View Post
    Honestly, I believe the 2019 secondary may be one of Sabanís best baring major injuries.

Diggs and Surtain will be very solid at CB and both have the ability to be on an Island to allow for some more blitzes unlike this year. Carter came into his own at Star as the year went on and will be that much better with another spring and fall camp under his belt.

Xavier McKinney will be our next stud at safety a la Haha, Collins, Barron etc. Out of Mayden, Jobe, Wright, Knott and JAD, I am confident a second safety and $ can be found as well as some depth.

The DL has a nice starting group in Ray, Mathis and Davis. I expect. Baramore and Wynn to step up and add depth along with EE Alfano. Truly expect 6-7 guys rotate.

The OLB group should be lights out with Lewis, Allen, Jennings and Anoma. (Donít count out Latu getting reps as well. Could go 5 deep there.) The ILB is the weakness. However, with better coaching, Moses will take his game to the next level. I look for Ale Kaho and Josh McMillan to battle it out to start next to Moses. Kaho is going to be a star once he has some additional reps. Having the spring and entire fall practice will be huge for him.
    Alfano has all the measurables to be a Freshman All American, we just have to see if he can adapt to big time football.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "It's not luck, it's random bursts of talent." - Gage Robinson

BamaNation All-American CoolBreeze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Man Dan View Post
    Good chance that Coach Saban's Black Book has info on several young coaches who may be ready to move to the big time. OR... With the NFL turnover this year, Coach Saban may offer someone who wants a shot at stability.
    My guess would be that a lot of young guys who are relatively unknown would accept a pay increase, and the notoriety of coaching at Alabama.

Here's a question to all guys who work for a living.
    WOULD YOU ACCEPT A JOB AT DOUBLE YOUR SALARY FOR WORKING AN ADDITIONAL 15-25 HOURS A WEEK.
    If your honest and think about your family,
    I think a lot of guys would accept a job at Alabama.
    I know I would have. I managed to work 10-20 hours extra a week, before I worked a second job.
    If you enjoy what you do for a living then you have a greater possibility for success. At least, that is what I tell my son. Chances are most of these coaches probably feel they've never worked a day in their lives regardless of the hours.
    "Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the present."

Oogway, Kung Fu Panda

BamaNation Hall of Fame JustNeedMe81's Avatar

The defense should be lot better. I expect secondary to be real good next year. LBs will have their moments but will get better as season goes along. I don't expect a huge dropoff, but I think it will be a better team than this year.
    We are champions. We can prove it! *counting 15 championships*

BamaNation Second Team

If we can skip this plaguing injury bug, I think we will be better slightly. Just having consistency from who is starting and who is playing will help some. But, injuries almost have to be counted on. We had more than our fair share even on offense this year.

2019 shows no reason why there should be a drop off in wins and losses.