Question: Will the '19 Defense improve?

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
Now that we know, presumably, that "Q" is the only early declaration will the defense improve?

I realize it was Tosh's first shot out of the gun and we started out great but faltered later into the SEC run. I also think there was A LOT more yapping with the opposition and lack of focus this year. Or was this just the year injury and youth played a large part in having trouble with UGA and Clemson?

I wanna feel better about next season but I'm gonna need some help with that from my TideFans brethren.

TIA

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
Feel Better?:Joker_PDT_06: on TideFans.com

DL Raekwon Davis
DL LaBryan Ray
DL Phidarian Mathis

OLB Anfernee Jennings
OLB Terrell Lewis
OLB Christopher Allen

ILB Mack Wilson
ILB Dylan Moses

CB Trevon Diggs
CB Pat Surtain, II

DB Shy Carter
DB Jared Mayden

S Deionte Thompson
S Xavier McKinney

Mostly starters this past year...We have sooo much more in the cupboard, and the incoming class. RTR!!!
Now that we know, presumably, that "Q" is the only early declaration will the defense improve?

I realize it was Tosh's first shot out of the gun and we started out great but faltered later into the SEC run. I also think there was A LOT more yapping with the opposition and lack of focus this year. Or was this just the year injury and youth played a large part in having trouble with UGA and Clemson?

I wanna feel better about next season but I'm gonna need some help with that from my TideFans brethren.

TIA

Last edited:

UAllday

3rd Team
Jan 17, 2018

DL Raekwon Davis
DL LaBryan Ray
DL Phidarian Mathis

OLB Anfernee Jennings
OLB Terrell Lewis
OLB Christopher Allen

ILB Mack Wilson
ILB Dylan Moses

CB Trevon Diggs
CB Pat Surtain, II

DB Shy Carter
DB Jared Mayden

S Deionte Thompson
S Xavier McKinney
I do feel good about that, I did preseason this year as well. We will still have a lack of depth at same positions we did this year. If we can keep the two deep healthy would be a big help. Lack of rotation even early on tells me we are lacking the difference makers of years past in the rotation. This recruiting class will boost secondary, dline depth but we have to hope a few step on campus ready to contribute. I have to be honest, I am more concerned going in to next year

russtang

All-American
Apr 11, 2007
Central Alabama
www.uniquetitanium.com
Barring injuries, will be much better. Missing Lewis, Diggs, Allen was huge. Miller the last game was just devastating. Even Jalyn Armour Davis was expected to be a contributor.
Good depth will be the biggest improvement.
Still need work on assignments though.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
Barring injuries, will be much better. Missing Lewis, Diggs, Allen was huge. Miller the last game was just devastating. Even Jalyn Armour Davis was expected to be a contributor.
Good depth will be the biggest improvement.
Still need work on assignments though.
Daniel Wright was also making a move forward to be a contributor before he was hurt also.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
CHRISTIAN BARMORE will be huge on the dline next year. Add one of the true frosh like Alfano, Young or possibly Ish if he signs, and Throw in Anoma in the Jack. I think the Dline will be amazing by the end of the year! I see us rotating 6-7 which will help!

UAllday

3rd Team
Jan 17, 2018
CHRISTIAN BARMORE will be huge on the dline next year. Add one of the true frosh like Alfano, Young or possibly Ish if he signs, and Throw in Anoma in the Jack. I think the Dline will be amazing by the end of the year! I see us rotating 6-7 which will help!
I just can not help but feel that a couple of injuries and we are in same boat as this year. I will now retire the negative me, at least for the day.
Also, our defense did not progress this year as it has in recent memory, hopefully the coaches can get it together on that front.
I honestly do feel that given all of the coaching changes, 15 players from last year that are on NFL rosters, first time saban had had a team that lead with offense, passing offense at that. We really did over achieve even after how the last game turned out. Throw the key injuries in that we suffered to key players (3 out of top 4 OLBS, Diggs) honestly don't think there is another team/program in the country that could survive half of that.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
I just can not help but feel that a couple of injuries and we are in same boat as this year. I will now retire the negative me, at least for the day.
Also, our defense did not progress this year as it has in recent memory, hopefully the coaches can get it together on that front.
I honestly do feel that given all of the coaching changes, 15 players from last year that are on NFL rosters, first time saban had had a team that lead with offense, passing offense at that. We really did over achieve even after how the last game turned out. Throw the key injuries in that we suffered to key players (3 out of top 4 OLBS, Diggs) honestly don't think there is another team/program in the country that could survive half of that.
All that is 100% right and I think an underlooked aspect is that it was also the very first time since Saban has been here that he had had to replace BOTH inside LBs (other than year 1 I guess since everyone was new to the system). Prior to this year we had always had a more experienced guy who had started as the 'understudy' for at least a year before he had to be the one making all the calls. I think that was also a huge factor this year.

UAllday

3rd Team
Jan 17, 2018
All that is 100% right and I think an underlooked aspect is that it was also the very first time since Saban has been here that he had had to replace BOTH inside LBs (other than year 1 I guess since everyone was new to the system). Prior to this year we had always had a more experienced guy who had started as the 'understudy' for at least a year before he had to be the one making all the calls. I think that was also a huge factor this year.
Combined with nobody with real experience making calls in the secondary definitely explains the "lost" look they seemed to have at times. Nice observation

Jack Bourbon

Hall of Fame
Aug 3, 2001
Miami FL
I feel better seeing that depth chart, honestly. The new blood will have some contributors as well. Hopefully we can have some more depth in the rotation. I think with the new high flying offense the defensive strategy may need to change a bit to accommodate. We dont need to hold everyone under 10 points with this O.

Last edited:

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
Yes. We will be much deeper and being honest, more skilled in the defensive backfield.

rtr

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I do feel good about that, I did preseason this year as well. We will still have a lack of depth at same positions we did this year. If we can keep the two deep healthy would be a big help. Lack of rotation even early on tells me we are lacking the difference makers of years past in the rotation. This recruiting class will boost secondary, dline depth but we have to hope a few step on campus ready to contribute. I have to be honest, I am more concerned going in to next year
Preseason this year we were replacing all of our 6 DB's so I was not as optimistic about our D this year. Next year we return all 6 DB's plus bringing in a great DB class which is going to make the competition incredible. We are only losing Q and Buggs so I expect next years D to be much better.

One thing I do want to see is much better and more consistent play from our ILB's.

dWarriors88

All-American
Jan 4, 2009
Tulsa, OK

DL Raekwon Davis
DL LaBryan Ray
DL Phidarian Mathis

OLB Anfernee Jennings
OLB Terrell Lewis
OLB Christopher Allen

ILB Mack Wilson
ILB Dylan Moses

CB Trevon Diggs
CB Pat Surtain, II

DB Shy Carter
DB Jared Mayden

S Deionte Thompson
S Xavier McKinney

Mostly starters this past year...We have sooo much more in the cupboard, and the incoming class. RTR!!!
If those Linebackers start getting injuries again we're in trouble. And not trying to by mr.eeyore but the DL is gonna need to come along a lot to match the previous years threat.

UAllday

3rd Team
Jan 17, 2018
Preseason this year we were replacing all of our 6 DB's so I was not as optimistic about our D this year. Next year we return all 6 DB's plus bringing in a great DB class which is going to make the competition incredible. We are only losing Q and Buggs so I expect next years D to be much better.

One thing I do want to see is much better and more consistent play from our ILB's.
A weak/inexperienced secondary can be masked if you have consistent pressure on the QB.(i.e Clemson) I was thinking this could be one of our best pass rush years since 2015/2016 allowing the young secondary to come into their own. My concern is not with our starters, or even presumed 2 deep, I just feel that we are once again a couple injuries away from same boat as this year. The NC game is reason for me looking ahead and looking at depth. As the game moves more towards passing the ball, the defense has to have a lot of production rushing the passer and 6 dbs that can ball out.

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004

TIA
I certainly hope we curtail the trash talking and strutting around after making a tackle. Knock them on their butt, help them up, pat them on the head, then do it again.

I think we'll be better next year with more experience for our young guys this year. We also have top-rated talent coming in. But I hope we can do better with the game planning. We seemed confused and missed a lot of assignments, especially in post-season play.

TNElephantitis

1st Team
Nov 30, 2015
Memphis, TN
I certainly hope we curtail the trash talking and strutting around after making a tackle. Knock them on their butt, help them up, pat them on the head, then do it again.

I think we'll be better next year with more experience for our young guys this year. We also have top-rated talent coming in. But I hope we can do better with the game planning. We seemed confused and missed a lot of assignments, especially in post-season play.
I hate to keep referencing Herbstreit but before the OU game he said he saw some emotions and chippyness in our players he’d never seen before. It definitely stuck with me going into the NCG that we just didn’t seem like ourselves

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
If those Linebackers start getting injuries again we're in trouble. And not trying to by mr.eeyore but the DL is gonna need to come along a lot to match the previous years threat.
Behind those listed we do at least have Latu, anoma and parks who all have had a seasons worth of time with the team, and at least some PT (not enough, but that is another, longer story). Hopefully we find a way to get this years promising freshmen into roles where they can gain some experience and be able to contribute down the stretch if needed.

ILB we have Moody, who, despite his 3 star rating, the staff seems very high on, and Kaho, who with some weight should be able to play more of a role also. Both of them at least got a lot of time on special teams units so hopefully that at least helped them get a feel for the speed of the game.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.