Question: Will the '19 Defense improve?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I have told my Tide friends that "DEFENSE" wins championships for all my life and I still believe it. If you look at Saban's track record he has won every year because of defense. I really struggled at times with our guys giving up so many yards, big plays, and points this year. Bama gave up 23, 31, 21, 17, 21, 28, and 44 points. They absolutely could not get off the field on 3rd down. Something must change next year. I am not sure if its play calling or talent but boy we really looked lost and confused at times.
Alabama had an absolutely incredible defense in 2016 and lost to Clemson in the CFPCG. Sometimes you are the windshield, and sometimes you are the bug.

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
Feel Better?:Joker_PDT_06: on TideFans.com

DL Raekwon Davis
DL LaBryan Ray
DL Phidarian Mathis

OLB Anfernee Jennings
OLB Terrell Lewis
OLB Christopher Allen

ILB Mack Wilson
ILB Dylan Moses

CB Trevon Diggs
CB Pat Surtain, II

DB Shy Carter
DB Jared Mayden

S Deionte Thompson
S Xavier McKinney

Mostly starters this past year...We have sooo much more in the cupboard, and the incoming class. RTR!!!
Okay. I'm officially off the ledge now but what's the expectation, particularly at Safety, now that 2 more defensive players have declared?

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
Maybin steps in at S and we have a few options next to DM (Shane Lee?)...We have an incredible class coming in and a few kids that have been waiting in the wings...I really like how our D is shaping up for '19!
Okay. I'm officially off the ledge now but what's the expectation, particularly at Safety, now that 2 more defensive players have declared?

Blindside13

All-SEC
Oct 22, 2011
Near the Barn
I belive Keaton Anderson, or Townsend will get the first opportunity or maybe Mayden. Of course we have Battle and Hellams coming in with the new class so they are opportunities, options there for sure.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I belive Keaton Anderson, or Townsend will get the first opportunity or maybe Mayden. Of course we have Battle and Hellams coming in with the new class so they are opportunities, options there for sure.
Pretty sure Keaton is going back to Florence to get started with one of the family businesses. IIRC, he was even honored during Senior Day.

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
Honestly, I believe the 2019 secondary may be one of Saban’s best baring major injuries.

Diggs and Surtain will be very solid at CB and both have the ability to be on an Island to allow for some more blitzes unlike this year. Carter came into his own at Star as the year went on and will be that much better with another spring and fall camp under his belt.

Xavier McKinney will be our next stud at safety a la Haha, Collins, Barron etc. Out of Mayden, Jobe, Wright, Knott and JAD, I am confident a second safety and $ can be found as well as some depth.

The DL has a nice starting group in Ray, Mathis and Davis. I expect. Baramore and Wynn to step up and add depth along with EE Alfano. Truly expect 6-7 guys rotate.

The OLB group should be lights out with Lewis, Allen, Jennings and Anoma. (Don’t count out Latu getting reps as well. Could go 5 deep there.) The ILB is the weakness. However, with better coaching, Moses will take his game to the next level. I look for Ale Kaho and Josh McMillan to battle it out to start next to Moses. Kaho is going to be a star once he has some additional reps. Having the spring and entire fall practice will be huge for him.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Honestly, I believe the 2019 secondary may be one of Saban’s best baring major injuries.

Diggs and Surtain will be very solid at CB and both have the ability to be on an Island to allow for some more blitzes unlike this year. Carter came into his own at Star as the year went on and will be that much better with another spring and fall camp under his belt.

Xavier McKinney will be our next stud at safety a la Haha, Collins, Barron etc. Out of Mayden, Jobe, Wright, Knott and JAD, I am confident a second safety and $ can be found as well as some depth.

The DL has a nice starting group in Ray, Mathis and Davis. I expect. Baramore and Wynn to step up and add depth along with EE Alfano. Truly expect 6-7 guys rotate.

The OLB group should be lights out with Lewis, Allen, Jennings and Anoma. (Don’t count out Latu getting reps as well. Could go 5 deep there.) The ILB is the weakness. However, with better coaching, Moses will take his game to the next level. I look for Ale Kaho and Josh McMillan to battle it out to start next to Moses. Kaho is going to be a star once he has some additional reps. Having the spring and entire fall practice will be huge for him.
Alfano has all the measurables to be a Freshman All American, we just have to see if he can adapt to big time football.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Good chance that Coach Saban's Black Book has info on several young coaches who may be ready to move to the big time. OR... With the NFL turnover this year, Coach Saban may offer someone who wants a shot at stability.
My guess would be that a lot of young guys who are relatively unknown would accept a pay increase, and the notoriety of coaching at Alabama.

Here's a question to all guys who work for a living.
WOULD YOU ACCEPT A JOB AT DOUBLE YOUR SALARY FOR WORKING AN ADDITIONAL 15-25 HOURS A WEEK.
If your honest and think about your family,
I think a lot of guys would accept a job at Alabama.
I know I would have. I managed to work 10-20 hours extra a week, before I worked a second job.
If you enjoy what you do for a living then you have a greater possibility for success. At least, that is what I tell my son. Chances are most of these coaches probably feel they've never worked a day in their lives regardless of the hours.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
The defense should be lot better. I expect secondary to be real good next year. LBs will have their moments but will get better as season goes along. I don't expect a huge dropoff, but I think it will be a better team than this year.

jashleyren2

1st Team
Aug 27, 2018
If we can skip this plaguing injury bug, I think we will be better slightly. Just having consistency from who is starting and who is playing will help some. But, injuries almost have to be counted on. We had more than our fair share even on offense this year.

2019 shows no reason why there should be a drop off in wins and losses.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.