Question: Will the '19 Defense improve?
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Will the '19 Defense improve?

Now that we know, presumably, that "Q" is the only early declaration will the defense improve?

I realize it was Tosh's first shot out of the gun and we started out great but faltered later into the SEC run. I also think there was A LOT more yapping with the opposition and lack of focus this year. Or was this just the year injury and youth played a large part in having trouble with UGA and Clemson?

I wanna feel better about next season but I'm gonna need some help with that from my TideFans brethren.

TIA
    "It's not the will to win that matters - everyone has that.
    It's the will to prepare to win that matters."
    PAUL "BEAR" BRYANT

Re: Will the '19 Defense improve?

Feel Better? on TideFans.com

DL Raekwon Davis
    DL LaBryan Ray
    DL Phidarian Mathis

OLB Anfernee Jennings
    OLB Terrell Lewis
    OLB Christopher Allen

ILB Mack Wilson
    ILB Dylan Moses

CB Trevon Diggs
    CB Pat Surtain, II

DB Shy Carter
    DB Jared Mayden

S Deionte Thompson
    S Xavier McKinney

Mostly starters this past year...We have sooo much more in the cupboard, and the incoming class. RTR!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimSonami View Post
    Now that we know, presumably, that "Q" is the only early declaration will the defense improve?

I realize it was Tosh's first shot out of the gun and we started out great but faltered later into the SEC run. I also think there was A LOT more yapping with the opposition and lack of focus this year. Or was this just the year injury and youth played a large part in having trouble with UGA and Clemson?

I wanna feel better about next season but I'm gonna need some help with that from my TideFans brethren.

TIA
    Last edited by The Ols; January 11th, 2019 at 10:58 AM.

BamaNation Second Team

Quote Originally Posted by The Ols View Post
    Feel Better? on TideFans.com

DL Raekwon Davis
    DL LaBryan Ray
    DL Phidarian Mathis

OLB Anfernee Jennings
    OLB Terrell Lewis
    OLB Christopher Allen

ILB Mack Wilson
    ILB Dylan Moses

CB Trevon Diggs
    CB Pat Surtain, II

DB Shy Carter
    DB Jared Mayden

S Deionte Thompson
    S Xavier McKinney
    I do feel good about that, I did preseason this year as well. We will still have a lack of depth at same positions we did this year. If we can keep the two deep healthy would be a big help. Lack of rotation even early on tells me we are lacking the difference makers of years past in the rotation. This recruiting class will boost secondary, dline depth but we have to hope a few step on campus ready to contribute. I have to be honest, I am more concerned going in to next year

BamaNation All-American russtang's Avatar

Barring injuries, will be much better. Missing Lewis, Diggs, Allen was huge. Miller the last game was just devastating. Even Jalyn Armour Davis was expected to be a contributor.
    Good depth will be the biggest improvement.
    Still need work on assignments though.

BamaNation All-SEC

Quote Originally Posted by russtang View Post
    Barring injuries, will be much better. Missing Lewis, Diggs, Allen was huge. Miller the last game was just devastating. Even Jalyn Armour Davis was expected to be a contributor.
    Good depth will be the biggest improvement.
    Still need work on assignments though.
    Daniel Wright was also making a move forward to be a contributor before he was hurt also.

BamaNation All-American

We should be better on defense and could be better on offense. We should be a better team next year

BamaNation All-American Tide&True's Avatar

Personnel I feel good about. Itís the play calling and aggressiveness I want to feel better about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "They've got a name for the winners in the world....they call Alabama the Crimson Tide"
    -Steely Dan

Quote Originally Posted by RollTide_HTTR View Post
    We should be better on defense and could be better on offense. We should be a better team next year
    Question is, who's gonna coach them? We are losing coaches left and right.
    12 years of beating Tennessee...sweet

CHRISTIAN BARMORE will be huge on the dline next year. Add one of the true frosh like Alfano, Young or possibly Ish if he signs, and Throw in Anoma in the Jack. I think the Dline will be amazing by the end of the year! I see us rotating 6-7 which will help!
    to 16 and beyond........

BamaNation Second Team

Quote Originally Posted by bamaga View Post
    CHRISTIAN BARMORE will be huge on the dline next year. Add one of the true frosh like Alfano, Young or possibly Ish if he signs, and Throw in Anoma in the Jack. I think the Dline will be amazing by the end of the year! I see us rotating 6-7 which will help!
    I just can not help but feel that a couple of injuries and we are in same boat as this year. I will now retire the negative me, at least for the day.
    Also, our defense did not progress this year as it has in recent memory, hopefully the coaches can get it together on that front.
    I honestly do feel that given all of the coaching changes, 15 players from last year that are on NFL rosters, first time saban had had a team that lead with offense, passing offense at that. We really did over achieve even after how the last game turned out. Throw the key injuries in that we suffered to key players (3 out of top 4 OLBS, Diggs) honestly don't think there is another team/program in the country that could survive half of that.

BamaNation All-SEC

Quote Originally Posted by UAllday View Post
    I just can not help but feel that a couple of injuries and we are in same boat as this year. I will now retire the negative me, at least for the day.
    Also, our defense did not progress this year as it has in recent memory, hopefully the coaches can get it together on that front.
    I honestly do feel that given all of the coaching changes, 15 players from last year that are on NFL rosters, first time saban had had a team that lead with offense, passing offense at that. We really did over achieve even after how the last game turned out. Throw the key injuries in that we suffered to key players (3 out of top 4 OLBS, Diggs) honestly don't think there is another team/program in the country that could survive half of that.
    All that is 100% right and I think an underlooked aspect is that it was also the very first time since Saban has been here that he had had to replace BOTH inside LBs (other than year 1 I guess since everyone was new to the system). Prior to this year we had always had a more experienced guy who had started as the 'understudy' for at least a year before he had to be the one making all the calls. I think that was also a huge factor this year.

BamaNation Second Team

Quote Originally Posted by gtgilbert View Post
    All that is 100% right and I think an underlooked aspect is that it was also the very first time since Saban has been here that he had had to replace BOTH inside LBs (other than year 1 I guess since everyone was new to the system). Prior to this year we had always had a more experienced guy who had started as the 'understudy' for at least a year before he had to be the one making all the calls. I think that was also a huge factor this year.
    Combined with nobody with real experience making calls in the secondary definitely explains the "lost" look they seemed to have at times. Nice observation

BamaNation Hall of Fame Jack Bourbon's Avatar

I feel better seeing that depth chart, honestly. The new blood will have some contributors as well. Hopefully we can have some more depth in the rotation. I think with the new high flying offense the defensive strategy may need to change a bit to accommodate. We dont need to hold everyone under 10 points with this O.
    Last edited by Jack Bourbon; January 11th, 2019 at 12:21 PM.