Are we going to move away from the RPO's now? - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football

Re: Are we going to move away from the RPO's now?

Quote Originally Posted by TNElephantitis View Post
    Yes. Technique and discipline has got to be emphasized. It seems like since 2012 we’ve had one or two guys on the line that is constantly committing penalties or getting beat when we used to have a uniformly disciplined O Line
    This^^^^^ x1000! For the last several years we've always had "that one guy" who before each game you could go ahead and chalk him up for three or four drive killing pre-snap penalties. Lester Cotton is that current guy. But he's only one of what seems a string of about three more over the last five or six years.
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exists, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

Quote Originally Posted by Intl.Aperture View Post
    He does tend to be flippant about these sort of things.
    I'd argue his last two choices were poor - skewed too far in one direction, and we saw the result Monday night.

He's not perfect, one can only hope he remains open-minded enough to learn. Bama hasn't had a truly dominating OL in a long time now.
    Oderint dum metuant - Lucius Accius

Quote Originally Posted by Special K View Post
    I agree. If only we could clone a younger Joe Pendry....
    Or Stoutland - both were excellent OL coaches. That's what is needed, imo.
    Oderint dum metuant - Lucius Accius

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonaudio View Post
    Or Stoutland - both were excellent OL coaches. That's what is needed, imo.
    Stoutland's problem was evaluating OL talent. He could coach and teach, but he didn't seem to be able to evaluate. Pendry did both really well.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

What's wrong with RPOs?
    ----
    B.A. from The University of Alabama (during the Fran/Shula years) so don't question my fandom.

BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CoachJeff View Post
    What's wrong with RPOs?
    First, run blocking. The o-line does not know if it is run or pass, so they cannot be aggressive in their blocking or they could end up too far down field. This allows the LBs to hit gaps much more easily. Second, the RB does not know if he is getting the ball or not, so he cannot be as aggressive from the snap in attacking the LOS. He has to wait to see if the QB let the ball go to really ball. Third, the blocking schemes have to account for both possibilities. It is much easier to open holes for running plays if they are designed run plays, and it is easier to get back in pass protection if you know that it is a pass play. Fourth, RB in pass protection - the RB has no idea if he is going to be getting the ball or picking up a blitzer at the snap. This has hurt Alabama many times this year.Goodness, I really could go on and on.

Designed run or pass plays can be repped enough times that the blocking becomes second nature and is much more difficult to exploit.

BamaNation Hall of Fame cuda.1973's Avatar

Could be mistaken, but wasn't there a play where we were called for illegal blocker downfield? Anyone know if it was a RPO? Could well have been.

Everything has its strong points and weaknesses. Any choice is made to exploit a weakness, on the opposing side. And leaves you open to that choice's weaknesses, for the opposing side to exploit. (Which in turn leads to the chess match where we win one year, and Clumpson wins the next year. At least that is one way to rationalize away what happened on Monday night.)
    "I hate morning people.
    And mornings.

And people!"

BamaNation Hall of Fame cuda.1973's Avatar

OK, here is what Jonah had to say, in his on-line whatchamacallit, earlier today:

level 2jonahgwilliams
    Former player22 points · 2 hours ago
    I think they’re great. RPO’s are the future.
    It helps the OL because a “conflict player” that usually can add on to the box in the run game now has to respect a speedy receiver on a post route or something.
    It’s not fool proof though. Clemson did a good job of playing buzz coverages where it would appear like quarters (7) pre snap and then they’d buzz down to post safety 3/6 and they’d have an additional player in the box. Pre snap read would look good, like we’re accounted for in the box, but then post-snap we’re running uphill into a loaded box.
    My one complaint is the OL downfield rules. I’ve gotten one called on me in each Clemson game because I’m busy kicking a LB’s @$$ and then they throw a flag because I didn’t know the ball was thrown. In this last game, I was only 2 yards downfield when the ball was released (can be within 3) but I pushed the LB into the ref on accident so he threw the flag as soon as he saw me

Had to change one word..................
    "I hate morning people.
    And mornings.

And people!"

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bamabuzzard View Post
    I don't think it was a style necessarily as much as it was coaches not correctly assessing the situation in front of them. The old saying of "Run it until they stop it" would have won us the national title Monday night. If the RPO's are working, keep doing it. If simply handing the ball off and running off tackle then between the tackles is working, keep doing it. It was coaches getting caught up in the "missing the forest for the trees" syndrome. The right thing to do was so simple I think they froze. On top of not being prepared enough coming into the game.
    I really appreciate your football IQ, but I don't know if I agree about Monday night. I think their defensive game plan was to conceded the run between the 20s and then tighten up around the goal line. It's like they tricked us into thinking we could run at the goal line and then we couldn't. I don't know if that was intentional on their part...but that's the way it happened.

Quote Originally Posted by CoachJeff View Post
    What's wrong with RPOs?
    I think B1G covered it, but one other thing I don't like about it is in the time it takes the QB and RB to go through the run option part, there is a pause which gives a defense just a little more time to collapse on that mesh point and sometime it just blows up the whole play.
    Last edited by BamaMoon; January 11th, 2019 at 07:28 PM.

BamaNation All-American

thats because those wildcard games featured teams with either great defenses or awful offense. this weekend will be featuring much better offensive teams

Quote Originally Posted by bamaga View Post
    It’s funny, all year the NFL played high scoring almost big 12 football. Playoffs come along and it’s low scoring, run the ball and play defense.

BamaNation Scout Team

I think the better question to ask: Why is our Offensive Coaches Bailing on us? Seriously think about it. Enos was going to be the OC of Bama, but now is going to be the OC of Miami for LESS PAY and iffy conditions. 2 + 2 don't add up to 4 here.

BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by alamojo View Post
    I think the better question to ask: Why is our Offensive Coaches Bailing on us? Seriously think about it. Enos was going to be the OC of Bama, but now is going to be the OC of Miami for LESS PAY and iffy conditions. 2 + 2 don't add up to 4 here.
    Somehow you have drawn a very wrong conclusion here.

I tend to agree with Jonah here. The RPO is here to stay. You’re even seeing more of it in the NFL.
    I think the thing we all want is balance in what we do. And like many here, I want a physical running game that has been lacking the last few years. I’m still old school BTW. This year the balance between run and pass has been way skewed.
    I think it is possible to have a physical running game and still run RPO’s.