Are we going to move away from the RPO's now? - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Are we going to move away from the RPO's now?

RPOs are alright used properly. Clemson played a lot of man coverage , like Georgia in the SEC championship. Man coverage is an RPO killer, that’s why you didn’t see it as much against them. That’s why Jalen would of been successful in the red zone, running QBs are man killers. But we have yet to see , at least to my knowledge the other parts of RPO that Ole Miss used successfully against us with Freeze. Vertical routes with third level reads , and QB runs . I don’t know if we will ever see them . The RPO has permeated the NFL with about half the teams using some RPO, even with less favorable rules, so I don’t think it is going away.
    Last edited by bamaga; January 11th, 2019 at 09:30 PM.
    to 16 and beyond........

BamaNation All-American TheRealPokeChop's Avatar

No.....no

BamaNation Third Team

Quote Originally Posted by bamaga View Post
    I don’t think so, because Nick knows the stress the RPO puts on a defense, along with some spread concepts. But After the debacle on the goal line , I think we “learn” how to run the football again! I’ve seen offenses incorporate most of those concepts. I think some people call it a pro style power spread.
    I know even Miss Terry has complained in the past about running it between the tackles. I get why you need to. I get how dynamic Tua and our receivers are with RPO but with my limited knowledge, solely based on playing in high school, having a strong off-tackle power game can be devastating, especially against blitzing teams.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by BamaMoon View Post
    I really appreciate your football IQ, but I don't know if I agree about Monday night. I think their defensive game plan was to conceded the run between the 20s and then tighten up around the goal line. It's like they tricked us into thinking we could run at the goal line and then we couldn't. I don't know if that was intentional on their part...but that's the way it happened.

I think B1G covered it, but one other thing I don't like about it is in the time it takes the QB and RB to go through the run option part, there is a pause which gives a defense just a little more time to collapse on that mesh point and sometime it just blows up the whole play.
    Against Clemson, we ran a lot of Clock between the 20s.
    Worked in Clemson's favor. We kept trying to get fancy inside the 20s.
    Fancy didn't work.
    IMO: If we gave the ball to Jacobs inside the 20s, we may have got a couple scores.
    Couple that with the 2 interceptions that led to 14 points, and the game would have maybe been in our favor... I got to say it...
    We also lost an Extra Point that bounced off the Goal Post.
    That's a problem that we can fix...

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by alamojo View Post
    I think the better question to ask: Why is our Offensive Coaches Bailing on us? Seriously think about it. Enos was going to be the OC of Bama, but now is going to be the OC of Miami for LESS PAY and iffy conditions. 2 + 2 don't add up to 4 here.
    If the rumors of Enos demanding to have final say on hiring Offensive coaches is true.
    It would seem that Coach Saban would want to control who he hired.
    Enos may well have been urged to explore other opportunities.

BamaNation Hall of Fame 2003TIDE's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bama-94-00 View Post
    Bama's O needs better run-pass balance, whether that means more gives on the RPOs or more run only plays.
    RPO's aren't about giving the ball to the RB to give the ball to the RB. It's about making the correct read and letting that dictate where the ball goes.

BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 2003TIDE View Post
    RPO's aren't about giving the ball to the RB to give the ball to the RB. It's about making the correct read and letting that dictate where the ball goes.
    Agreed, but you can do the exact same thing with a audible.

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    Agreed, but you can do the exact same thing with a audible.
    I think you can get close, but the beauty of the RPO is you let the D's commitment (or lack thereof) show you where to attack. An audible can be deadly when the pre-snap read is accurate, but if the coverage or alignments shift at or just after the snap, the audible could play directly into the strength of the defense.

You know this,I'm just posting this for others, but RPOs have become so popular because they make the defense commit to something before the decision as to what to do with the ball is made. I suspect the RPO (or some form of it) is here to stay, as it stresses the defense so much and there's not a ton you can do to counter that as a DC.
    Oderint dum metuant - Lucius Accius

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonaudio View Post
    I think you can get close, but the beauty of the RPO is you let the D's commitment (or lack thereof) show you where to attack. An audible can be deadly when the pre-snap read is accurate, but if the coverage or alignments shift at or just after the snap, the audible could play directly into the strength of the defense.

You know this,I'm just posting this for others, but RPOs have become so popular because they make the defense commit to something before the decision as to what to do with the ball is made. I suspect the RPO (or some form of it) is here to stay, as it stresses the defense so much and there's not a ton you can do to counter that as a DC.
    Totally agree, but standard pro-set offenses are still the most successful where top offensive personnel are available. No NFL team has switched to an all RPO offense for a reason - it hurts the offense as much as it helps it in certain scenarios. And Alabama does not exclusively run an RPO offense either, but last year RPOs accounted for too high a percentage of your plays, IMO.

I don't want to see Alabama abandon it altogether. What I want is to see it used less - more like the Patriots use it. You have the personnel to simply line up and beat teams. You need to do more of that, and not just when you have a huge lead.

Totally agree, but standard pro-set offenses are still the most successful where top offensive personnel are available. No NFL team has switched to an all RPO offense for a reason - it hurts the offense as much as it helps it in certain scenarios. And Alabama does not exclusively run an RPO offense either, but last year RPOs accounted for too high a percentage of your plays, IMO.

I don't want to see Alabama abandon it altogether. What I want is to see it used less - more like the Patriots use it. You have the personnel to simply line up and beat teams. You need to do more of that, and not just when you have a huge lead.
    I hope whatever offense Saban decides to run, that he gives lots of reps to the 2nd string QB. He needs to be ready at any moment in case Tua is injured. Tua had 3 major injuries last season. I sure hope Tua stays healthy this year. I don't see BAMA making the playoffs unless Tua stays healthy. I may be wrong though.

BamaNation All-SEC

What is your read on CNS letting Enos get out of T Town. I thought that Enos would put some sanity back into the "all spread all the time" scheme that Locksley went with. It just smacks of a bad decision on Enos part. He could well have gone to a big time head coach opportunity from Bama but may disappear altogether from Miami. what gives?

Quote Originally Posted by UAH View Post
    What is your read on CNS letting Enos get out of T Town. I thought that Enos would put some sanity back into the "all spread all the time" scheme that Locksley went with. It just smacks of a bad decision on Enos part. He could well have gone to a big time head coach opportunity from Bama but may disappear altogether from Miami. what gives?
    I have posted for months that promoting Enos to OC might be a mistake. IMO, he is too unproven for a championship caliber team like Alabama. Add his reported demand to choose his own coaches and Saban had to send him packing.

Let him continue to prove himself at schools willing to take chances. Saban is looking for a proven commodity.

BamaNation All-SEC

I have posted for months that promoting Enos to OC might be a mistake. IMO, he is too unproven for a championship caliber team like Alabama. Add his reported demand to choose his own coaches and Saban had to send him packing.

Let him continue to prove himself at schools willing to take chances. Saban is looking for a proven commodity.
    Thanks. If he did indeed demand to select his own staff it was an impetuous and immature mistake on his part!