Are we going to move away from the RPO's now?

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Technically isn’t RPO an element of “multiple” or “play action” offenses? The only thing being how heavy they depend on it?

Agree with CA about the ability to make the read in the midst of the play versus making the change via audible as part of the pre-snap read as a greater stressor on defenses. Also it makes it one other player (qb) that defenses must account for in the run game.

Interesting too, it seems the RPO has evolved in my mind. It seemed it originally the throw “read” was made more “past the mesh point” where QB forced the corner to commit to cover or come up to support the run. It looks to me, especially with Bama’s RPO, the decision to give/keep/throw is made mostly at the RB/QB mesh point. The end crashes or LBs up, you either pull and keep or hit something behind the LBs. Not often did you see Tua pull it, go down the line then throw. Maybe early in the season but certainly not after the knee injury.

Regardless I think it should remain part of this offense, especially with Tua at the helm. However, I think this year we depended too much on it at times and got away from ability to line up a be a physically dominant, line up and “run it down your the throat” offense. And I do believe we have the ability and the players to do both.

BamaBuc

All-American
May 12, 2003
St. Pete Beach, FL
crimson-fan.neocities.org
It's like they tricked us into thinking we could run at the goal line and then we couldn't. I don't know if that was intentional on their part...but that's the way it happened..
To be realistic about it, when the 'O' gets into the 'Red Zone' there's less field for the 'D' to cover thus becoming a little harder for an 'O' to score!
When we got inside the 10 and going against perhaps the best 'D' in College Football this past year, well no explanation needed!

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
OK, here is what Jonah had to say, in his on-line whatchamacallit, earlier today:

level 2jonahgwilliams
Former player22 points · 2 hours ago
I think they’re great. RPO’s are the future.
It helps the OL because a “conflict player” that usually can add on to the box in the run game now has to respect a speedy receiver on a post route or something.
It’s not fool proof though. Clemson did a good job of playing buzz coverages where it would appear like quarters (7) pre snap and then they’d buzz down to post safety 3/6 and they’d have an additional player in the box. Pre snap read would look good, like we’re accounted for in the box, but then post-snap we’re running uphill into a loaded box.
My one complaint is the OL downfield rules. I’ve gotten one called on me in each Clemson game because I’m busy kicking a LB’s @$$ and then they throw a flag because I didn’t know the ball was thrown. In this last game, I was only 2 yards downfield when the ball was released (can be within 3) but I pushed the LB into the ref on accident so he threw the flag as soon as he saw me
Had to change one word..................
I remember the penalty on J. Williams in this game against Clemson but was never able to see what actually took place. Interesting explanation.

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
We need fast, quick behemoths on both sides of the line. Don't get me wrong I love Q Williams but what is up with our training that he tired out so much and had to sideline? The boys seemed to tire quicker than usual.
Q had a phenomenal year so I wonder if he had been sick? However I'm about to tear down one of the golden calfs with this but I've long questioned Cochran's S&C philosophy, or at least I assume it's his philosophy, of emphasizing bulk over everything else. I think some of our guys would be better of to drop some weight and focus more on quickness and endurance. If you have enough depth then it doesn't matter as much if you need to take frequent breaks to refresh but we did not seem to have much depth on the DL this year.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Q had a phenomenal year so I wonder if he had been sick? However I'm about to tear down one of the golden calfs with this but I've long questioned Cochran's S&C philosophy, or at least I assume it's his philosophy, of emphasizing bulk over everything else. I think some of our guys would be better of to drop some weight and focus more on quickness and endurance. If you have enough depth then it doesn't matter as much if you need to take frequent breaks to refresh but we did not seem to have much depth on the DL this year.
I touched on this in an earlier thread.

The problem is that the old way that Saban substituted went out with the change in offenses when the 40 second play clock was instituted. Prior to the offenses taking advantage of it he could liberally substitute so if a player was in good shape he could get a breather and get back out there.

As it is now the defense is forced to keep pace with the offensive speed to the line or risk a substitution infraction and/or not being ready when the ball is snapped.

The adjustment to this has not been complete and it begins in recruiting and runs through S&C right on to game day results.

I miss the 25 second play clock but since this appears to be the way it going to be we need to adjust accordingly.

Mind you, I don't think it's a big change that's needed, move of a slight pivot. In general, Bama has done an excellent job but the pursuit of perfection requires a reassessment now and again.

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
I touched on this in an earlier thread.

The problem is that the old way that Saban substituted went out with the change in offenses when the 40 second play clock was instituted. Prior to the offenses taking advantage of it he could liberally substitute so if a player was in good shape he could get a breather and get back out there.

As it is now the defense is forced to keep pace with the offensive speed to the line or risk a substitution infraction and/or not being ready when the ball is snapped.

The adjustment to this has not been complete and it begins in recruiting and runs through S&C right on to game day results.

I miss the 25 second play clock but since this appears to be the way it going to be we need to adjust accordingly.

Mind you, I don't think it's a big change that's needed, move of a slight pivot. In general, Bama has done an excellent job but the pursuit of perfection requires a reassessment now and again.
Agreed. Our recruiting philosophy has changed but I'm not sure our S&C philosophy has changed as much as needed.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
Technically isn’t RPO an element of “multiple” or “play action” offenses? The only thing being how heavy they depend on it?

Agree with CA about the ability to make the read in the midst of the play versus making the change via audible as part of the pre-snap read as a greater stressor on defenses. Also it makes it one other player (qb) that defenses must account for in the run game.

Interesting too, it seems the RPO has evolved in my mind. It seemed it originally the throw “read” was made more “past the mesh point” where QB forced the corner to commit to cover or come up to support the run. It looks to me, especially with Bama’s RPO, the decision to give/keep/throw is made mostly at the RB/QB mesh point. The end crashes or LBs up, you either pull and keep or hit something behind the LBs. Not often did you see Tua pull it, go down the line then throw. Maybe early in the season but certainly not after the knee injury.

Regardless I think it should remain part of this offense, especially with Tua at the helm. However, I think this year we depended too much on it at times and got away from ability to line up a be a physically dominant, line up and “run it down your the throat” offense. And I do believe we have the ability and the players to do both.
.its probably a derivative of the zone read. I am all for an occasional RPO , I think it helps in other similar formations. Just the slightest indecision by a linebacker could mean a big play . Gives them something to think about. And when they are thinking, usually they aren’t moving,

Professor

Scout Team
Sep 3, 2017
Run Pass Option. It's a play where the QB can hand off to a RB, throw a pass, or run it himself depending on what the defense does. When run correctly it can be very fun to watch and very difficult to defend.
Thank you very much

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.