Are we going to move away from the RPO's now?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    BamaNation All-SEC

Are we going to move away from the RPO's now?

When Coach Mac was here we were amazingly balanced in both yardage and number of plays (throwing it versus running the ball). We began to shift some when Kiffin got here, and I think that CNS began to focus more on explosive plays as a stat that mattered. This past year we had the Alabama offense of all Alabama offenses, breaking every passing record out there, but we lost the damn national championship game with crazy play calls in the red zone doing most of the damage to our ability to score.

So does the loss of four very important guys off of our offensive staff preclude a change in philosophy back to controlling the ball, controlling the clock, and grinding out wins rather than dazzling with amazing pass plays? Until Enos left I would not have thought so, but now? Does CNS actually blame the offense for losing that game, or is it just a matter of guys leaving for more prestige or money?

We have the potential to have a road-grader level offensive line and some really good backs next year. It is possible that is what's in Coach Saban's mind when he picks the new staff. We will see.

I was darn sure looking forward to a little continuity around here.

rtr

BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

Re: Are we going to move away from the RPO's now?

I hope so.

I don’t think so, because Nick knows the stress the RPO puts on a defense, along with some spread concepts. But After the debacle on the goal line , I think we “learn” how to run the football again! I’ve seen offenses incorporate most of those concepts. I think some people call it a pro style power spread.
    to 16 and beyond........

BamaNation All-American Bama-94-00's Avatar

Bama's O needs better run-pass balance, whether that means more gives on the RPOs or more run only plays.
    RTR!

BamaNation All-American

Will the RPOs change? probably depends on the OC

Will we get away from RPOs completely? no. They are way too effective and they are here to stay in all of football IMO. The question is in what form.

BamaNation Hall of Fame cuda.1973's Avatar

If it gets #18.....................who cares? (Just another way of saying none of us have any idea, and "In Saban We Trust".)

This is going to be a long and miserable off-season..................
    "I hate morning people.
    And mornings.

And people!"

Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football

I don't think it was a style necessarily as much as it was coaches not correctly assessing the situation in front of them. The old saying of "Run it until they stop it" would have won us the national title Monday night. If the RPO's are working, keep doing it. If simply handing the ball off and running off tackle then between the tackles is working, keep doing it. It was coaches getting caught up in the "missing the forest for the trees" syndrome. The right thing to do was so simple I think they froze. On top of not being prepared enough coming into the game.
    Last edited by Bamabuzzard; January 11th, 2019 at 01:32 PM.
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exists, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

It’s funny, all year the NFL played high scoring almost big 12 football. Playoffs come along and it’s low scoring, run the ball and play defense.
    to 16 and beyond........

BamaNation First Team

RUN THE BALL!!! I think RPO'S present a lot of anxiety for defenses. so in moderation i think it is good. I would love to see the Pistol implemented as well as seeing the basic screen pass that was successful back in the day. Heck it beat LSWHOO with the TJ Yeldon screen pass. rtr
    RTR! GO CCU!

If the talent on the OL finally gets some good coaching - something Bama has been missing since Stoutland left - it won't matter what type of offense Saban wants to run, as it will work and look amazing.

Gotta make the right OL coach hire here. I hope Saban chooses wisely.
    Oderint dum metuant - Lucius Accius

BamaNation First Team TNElephantitis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonaudio View Post
    If the talent on the OL finally gets some good coaching - something Bama has been missing since Stoutland left - it won't matter what type of offense Saban wants to run, as it will work and look amazing.

Yes. Technique and discipline has got to be emphasized. It seems like since 2012 we’ve had one or two guys on the line that is constantly committing penalties or getting beat when we used to have a uniformly disciplined O Line

BamaNation All-American Intl.Aperture's Avatar

He does tend to be flippant about these sort of things.
    “And what's strange, what would be marvelous, is not that God should really exist; the marvel is that such an idea, the idea of the necessity of God, could enter the head of such a savage, vicious beast as man.”
    - Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

I agree. If only we could clone a younger Joe Pendry....
    I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.