Question: State of the union with Alabama football

Tide&True

All-American
Sep 24, 2004
Murfreesboro, TN
This is not a “sky is falling” thread but I do sense something different is going on with Alabama football. Just a gut feeling...does anybody feel that way? It is not unusual to have coaches leaving for higher positions but this feels like an exodus of sorts. Same with players. Maybe this is just the new normal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Unless you felt that way before the game against Clemson, I think it is all about that. This staff turnover was going to happen even if you won that game. Your problems did not appear in that game - they were just exposed. Gattis and Enos both wanted to step into Lock's shoes, and neither is ready.

The players are still very supportive of the program and its direction, demonstrated by how many who stayed when they could have left for the draft.

The dynasty lives.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
4 players declaring is not new. Players not continuing after they graduate is not new. Coaches moving on, whether pushed or their own free will, isn't new. What's new is this happening after an absolute beat down.

Tide&True

All-American
Sep 24, 2004
Murfreesboro, TN
Unless you felt that way before the game against Clemson, I think it is all about that. This staff turnover was going to happen even if you won that game. Your problems did not appear in that game - they were just exposed. Gattis and Enos both wanted to step into Lock's shoes, and neither is ready.

The players are still very supportive of the program and its direction, demonstrated by how many who stayed when they could have left for the draft.

The dynasty lives.
Thanks B1G. I think I’m just voicing what others feel as well. The loss to Clemson was something I sensed before the game was played. We’ve been at such a high level for so long it is inevitable that a correction happens at some point.

Texas_tide

Scout Team
Oct 16, 2018
I have felt we are not as prepared, mainly play calling. Have dominated by having 5 star talent all over the field.not outcoaching anyone on offense or defense.

I didn’t care Bama bringing in Maryland guy at the end.

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
Feeling better about the situation than I did earlier, guess it was because it was so much at one time in a week ... but just like B1G said, would have been the same results if we won. It may look weird to us on the outside looking in but CNS is doing what his been doing, not only building a program ... but sustaining it. I think we will be more than fine when the dust settles.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I do think Enos was ready to step into the OC role, but Gattis still needs some seasoning. That aside; the last couple of years I have felt that CNS's emphasis has been on hiring coaches who are excellent recruiters who may not have the coaching and teaching experience. Case in point is Lupoi, great recruiter, but short on coaching experience especially at the DC in the SEC. He may develop in the next several years and be another Smart or Pruitt, time will tell. It has to be a tall task finding those coaches who excel at both. I do agree that getting curb stomped Monday has to set off some alarms.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
About the margin of defeat.

Recall what Nebraska did to us after the 1971 season. During that season, we went 11-0 and dominated the SEC. It was a rebirth season after back to back 6 win campaigns had everyone questioning if Coach Bryant had lost his touch (imagine 2 consecutive 6 win seasons today!!!). We had switched to the wishbone offense that off season. So we gear up to go to the Orange Bowl to face an undefeated Nebraska team that featured Johnny Rogers. What they did to us that night is now illegal in 47 states. They beat us 38-6 and it was worse than the score indicated.

I said all of that to make the point that this occurred at the beginning of Coach Bryant's second act. What is happening right now is a cleansing. At least that is what I hoped. Maybe more needs to happen. But the mistakes we saw against Clemson were not new. It was just the first time we paid for them.

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004
The State of the Union of Alabama Football

Well, let's see. Here are the stats that come to mind. If I'm not perfectly correct, I'm sure someone will correct me. But this is what I've come up with:

We just made the CFP for the fifth time - that would be every year there's been a CFP.
We made it to the finals for the fourth time since the CFP was created.
We've won the championship 2 times.

Here are our stats for the last 5 years:
2014 - 12-2, SEC champs, National championship semi-finalist
2015 - 14-1, SEC champs, National champions
2016 - 14-1, SEC champs, National championship finalist
2017 - 13-1, National champions
2018 - 14-1, SEC champs, National championship finalist

To summarize:
Record last 5 years: 67-6
4 SEC championships
2 national championships
2 national championship finalists
1 national championship semi-finalist

I think this year's CFP made it evident that we had a team loaded with talent and a coaching staff of great recruiters, but they lacked the coaching experience to create a game plan and make the adjustments during the game necessary to win the championship. I think the staff changes we're currently seeing are addressing those issues.

Our OC did well enough to get a HC job, so he's leaving.

Gattis and Enos want to be OCs and call the plays, but Saban doesn't think they're ready. So they're leaving for OC positions at other schools.

The OL wasn't as good as it could've been, so Saban is replacing that position coach.

He's also working to find the best position coaches and OC he can find to fill the openings on the staff. With the talent we have, there should be coaches lining up to fill those positions.

We have a Heisman finalist returning at QB.

We have one of the best receiving corps in the nation returning.

We have 17 starters returning - from a team that finished #2 in the nation.

We have another #1 recruiting class joining the team. In fact, some say this is the best class Saban has brought to the Capstone. Stop and think about that for a minute.

In light of all of that, I think the state of the union for Bama football is very, very strong.

Roll Tide!

Last edited:

Tide&True

All-American
Sep 24, 2004
Murfreesboro, TN
About the margin of defeat.

Recall what Nebraska did to us after the 1971 season. During that season, we went 11-0 and dominated the SEC. It was a rebirth season after back to back 6 win campaigns had everyone questioning if Coach Bryant had lost his touch (imagine 2 consecutive 6 win seasons today!!!). We had switched to the wishbone offense that off season. So we gear up to go to the Orange Bowl to face an undefeated Nebraska team that featured Johnny Rogers. What they did to us that night is now illegal in 47 states. They beat us 38-6 and it was worse than the score indicated.

I said all of that to make the point that this occurred at the beginning of Coach Bryant's second act. What is happening right now is a cleansing. At least that is what I hoped. Maybe more needs to happen. But the mistakes we saw against Clemson were not new. It was just the first time we paid for them.
Good stuff Engineer

Tide&True

All-American
Sep 24, 2004
Murfreesboro, TN
The State of the Union of Alabama Football

Well, let's see. Here are the stats that come to mind. If I'm not perfectly correct, I'm sure someone will correct me. But this is what I've come up with:

We just made the CFP for the fifth time - that would be every year there's been a CFP.
We made it to the finals for the fourth time since the CFP was created.
We've won the championship 2 times.

Here are our stats for the last 5 years:
2014 - 12-2, SEC champs, National championship semi-finalist
2015 - 14-1, SEC champs, National champions
2016 - 14-1, SEC champs, National championship finalist
2017 - 13-1, National champions
2018 - 14-1, SEC champs, National championship finalist

To summarize:
Record last 5 years: 67-6
4 SEC championships
2 national championships
2 national championship finalists
1 national championship semi-finalist

I think this year's CFP made it evident that we had a team loaded with talent and a coaching staff of great recruiters, but they lacked the coaching experience to create a game plan and make the adjustments during the game necessary to win the championship. I think the staff changes we're currently seeing are addressing those issues.

Our OC did well enough to get a HC job, so he's leaving.

Gattis and Enos want to be OCs and call the plays, but Saban doesn't think they're ready. So they're leaving for OC positions at other schools.

The OL wasn't as good as it could've been, so Saban is replacing that position coach.

He's also working to find the best position coaches and OC he can find to fill the openings on the staff. With the talent we have, there should be coaches lining up to fill those positions.

We have a Heisman finalist returning at QB.

We have one of the best receiving corps in the nation returning.

We have 17 starters returning - from a team that finished #2 in the nation.

We have another #1 recruiting class joining the team. In fact, some say this is the best class Saban has brought to the Capstone. Stop and think about that for a minute.

In light of all of that, I think the state of the union for Bama football is very, very strong.

Roll Tide!
Well written...good points all around.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
Couldn’t execute in the red zone, couldn’t get off the field on third down. Otherwise, there was very little difference between Bama-Clemson. Stats bear that out. The players that left were expected to leave, except maybe Jacobs, but after having another child, that was expected as well. Coaches leaving because The Maryland needed a local kid during a hard time , Enos caught fire as a QBs coach and became hot commodity as an OC candidate, Gattis got a job as an OC. Still have the #1 recruiting class coming in.

Young talent coming in, got within 7-8 plays of a national championship, and staff had coaches that other programs offered promotion jobs. Preseason #1 or #2 next year. Still have the GOAT! Not a bad state if you ask me.

Last edited:

Jkl0802

1st Team
Apr 9, 2015
Stuttgart, Germany
This “is” a sky is falling thread....and, the sky is not falling. CNS lost one game, Bama finished 14 and 1. It’s good to lose because it makes you hungry.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
I have felt we are not as prepared, mainly play calling. Have dominated by having 5 star talent all over the field.not outcoaching anyone on offense or defense.

I didn’t care Bama bringing in Maryland guy at the end.[/QUOTEI

I am wondering about all the coaches leaving. Some of them seem to be making lateral moves but I could be seeing this wrong. At any rate the facts are 14-1 and 127 other teams would trade places with us.

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I am wondering about all the coaches leaving. Some of them seem to be making lateral moves but I could be seeing this wrong. At any rate the facts are 14-1 and 127 other teams would trade places with us.
Only Key was a lateral move. Enos wanted more power than Saban would give him and Gattis wanted to call plays.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
I have to say that I'm not concerned as long as CNS is the one that is setting the culture of the team. I saw a tweet the other day by one of the players after the game on Monday. He basically said, "You either win or learn" and that is "growth mindset" mentality. So, this is something that is embedded in the culture and it will not be gone until CNS is no longer at Alabama. Roll Tide!

Rolltidegirl205

All-SEC
Sep 20, 2014
With so many coaches and players leaving and transferring at the same time, I can understand fans cause for concern. I don't know what's happening, but I hope the team and staff can get back to the top next season. I don't like the doom and gloom "The dynasty is over" stuff I'm reading on other boards though. RTR.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.