Question: State of the union with Alabama football
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BamaNation All-American Tide&True's Avatar

State of the union with Alabama football

This is not a “sky is falling” thread but I do sense something different is going on with Alabama football. Just a gut feeling...does anybody feel that way? It is not unusual to have coaches leaving for higher positions but this feels like an exodus of sorts. Same with players. Maybe this is just the new normal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Tide&True; January 11th, 2019 at 06:10 PM.
    "They've got a name for the winners in the world....they call Alabama the Crimson Tide"
    -Steely Dan

BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

Re: State of the union with Alabama football

Unless you felt that way before the game against Clemson, I think it is all about that. This staff turnover was going to happen even if you won that game. Your problems did not appear in that game - they were just exposed. Gattis and Enos both wanted to step into Lock's shoes, and neither is ready.

The players are still very supportive of the program and its direction, demonstrated by how many who stayed when they could have left for the draft.

The dynasty lives.

BamaNation Hall of Fame AlexanderFan's Avatar

4 players declaring is not new. Players not continuing after they graduate is not new. Coaches moving on, whether pushed or their own free will, isn't new. What's new is this happening after an absolute beat down.

"It's not luck, it's random bursts of talent." - Gage Robinson

Continued staff turnover paired with the largest margin of defeat in a generation in the biggest game (ever?) is cause for concern.

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    Unless you felt that way before the game against Clemson, I think it is all about that. This staff turnover was going to happen even if you won that game. Your problems did not appear in that game - they were just exposed. Gattis and Enos both wanted to step into Lock's shoes, and neither is ready.

The players are still very supportive of the program and its direction, demonstrated by how many who stayed when they could have left for the draft.

The dynasty lives.
    Thanks B1G. I think I’m just voicing what others feel as well. The loss to Clemson was something I sensed before the game was played. We’ve been at such a high level for so long it is inevitable that a correction happens at some point.

"They've got a name for the winners in the world....they call Alabama the Crimson Tide"
    -Steely Dan

I have felt we are not as prepared, mainly play calling. Have dominated by having 5 star talent all over the field.not outcoaching anyone on offense or defense.

I didn’t care Bama bringing in Maryland guy at the end.

BamaNation All-SEC

Feeling better about the situation than I did earlier, guess it was because it was so much at one time in a week ... but just like B1G said, would have been the same results if we won. It may look weird to us on the outside looking in but CNS is doing what his been doing, not only building a program ... but sustaining it. I think we will be more than fine when the dust settles.

BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar

I do think Enos was ready to step into the OC role, but Gattis still needs some seasoning. That aside; the last couple of years I have felt that CNS's emphasis has been on hiring coaches who are excellent recruiters who may not have the coaching and teaching experience. Case in point is Lupoi, great recruiter, but short on coaching experience especially at the DC in the SEC. He may develop in the next several years and be another Smart or Pruitt, time will tell. It has to be a tall task finding those coaches who excel at both. I do agree that getting curb stomped Monday has to set off some alarms.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

BamaNation Hall of Fame

About the margin of defeat.

Recall what Nebraska did to us after the 1971 season. During that season, we went 11-0 and dominated the SEC. It was a rebirth season after back to back 6 win campaigns had everyone questioning if Coach Bryant had lost his touch (imagine 2 consecutive 6 win seasons today!!!). We had switched to the wishbone offense that off season. So we gear up to go to the Orange Bowl to face an undefeated Nebraska team that featured Johnny Rogers. What they did to us that night is now illegal in 47 states. They beat us 38-6 and it was worse than the score indicated.

I said all of that to make the point that this occurred at the beginning of Coach Bryant's second act. What is happening right now is a cleansing. At least that is what I hoped. Maybe more needs to happen. But the mistakes we saw against Clemson were not new. It was just the first time we paid for them.

The State of the Union of Alabama Football

Well, let's see. Here are the stats that come to mind. If I'm not perfectly correct, I'm sure someone will correct me. But this is what I've come up with:

We just made the CFP for the fifth time - that would be every year there's been a CFP.
    We made it to the finals for the fourth time since the CFP was created.
    We've won the championship 2 times.

Here are our stats for the last 5 years:
    2014 - 12-2, SEC champs, National championship semi-finalist
    2015 - 14-1, SEC champs, National champions
    2016 - 14-1, SEC champs, National championship finalist
    2017 - 13-1, National champions
    2018 - 14-1, SEC champs, National championship finalist

To summarize:
    Record last 5 years: 67-6
    4 SEC championships
    2 national championships
    2 national championship finalists
    1 national championship semi-finalist

I think this year's CFP made it evident that we had a team loaded with talent and a coaching staff of great recruiters, but they lacked the coaching experience to create a game plan and make the adjustments during the game necessary to win the championship. I think the staff changes we're currently seeing are addressing those issues.

Our OC did well enough to get a HC job, so he's leaving.

Gattis and Enos want to be OCs and call the plays, but Saban doesn't think they're ready. So they're leaving for OC positions at other schools.

The OL wasn't as good as it could've been, so Saban is replacing that position coach.

He's also working to find the best position coaches and OC he can find to fill the openings on the staff. With the talent we have, there should be coaches lining up to fill those positions.

We have a Heisman finalist returning at QB.

We have one of the best receiving corps in the nation returning.

We have 17 starters returning - from a team that finished #2 in the nation.

We have another #1 recruiting class joining the team. In fact, some say this is the best class Saban has brought to the Capstone. Stop and think about that for a minute.

In light of all of that, I think the state of the union for Bama football is very, very strong.

Roll Tide!
    Last edited by mlh; January 11th, 2019 at 08:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TideEngineer08 View Post
    About the margin of defeat.

Recall what Nebraska did to us after the 1971 season. During that season, we went 11-0 and dominated the SEC. It was a rebirth season after back to back 6 win campaigns had everyone questioning if Coach Bryant had lost his touch (imagine 2 consecutive 6 win seasons today!!!). We had switched to the wishbone offense that off season. So we gear up to go to the Orange Bowl to face an undefeated Nebraska team that featured Johnny Rogers. What they did to us that night is now illegal in 47 states. They beat us 38-6 and it was worse than the score indicated.

I said all of that to make the point that this occurred at the beginning of Coach Bryant's second act. What is happening right now is a cleansing. At least that is what I hoped. Maybe more needs to happen. But the mistakes we saw against Clemson were not new. It was just the first time we paid for them.
    Good stuff Engineer

-Steely Dan

Quote Originally Posted by mlh View Post
    The State of the Union of Alabama Football

Well, let's see. Here are the stats that come to mind. If I'm not perfectly correct, I'm sure someone will correct me. But this is what I've come up with:

We just made the CFP for the fifth time - that would be every year there's been a CFP.
    We made it to the finals for the fourth time since the CFP was created.
    We've won the championship 2 times.

Here are our stats for the last 5 years:
    2014 - 12-2, SEC champs, National championship semi-finalist
    2015 - 14-1, SEC champs, National champions
    2016 - 14-1, SEC champs, National championship finalist
    2017 - 13-1, National champions
    2018 - 14-1, SEC champs, National championship finalist

To summarize:
    Record last 5 years: 67-6
    4 SEC championships
    2 national championships
    2 national championship finalists
    1 national championship semi-finalist

I think this year's CFP made it evident that we had a team loaded with talent and a coaching staff of great recruiters, but they lacked the coaching experience to create a game plan and make the adjustments during the game necessary to win the championship. I think the staff changes we're currently seeing are addressing those issues.

Our OC did well enough to get a HC job, so he's leaving.

Gattis and Enos want to be OCs and call the plays, but Saban doesn't think they're ready. So they're leaving for OC positions at other schools.

The OL wasn't as good as it could've been, so Saban is replacing that position coach.

He's also working to find the best position coaches and OC he can find to fill the openings on the staff. With the talent we have, there should be coaches lining up to fill those positions.

We have a Heisman finalist returning at QB.

We have one of the best receiving corps in the nation returning.

We have 17 starters returning - from a team that finished #2 in the nation.

We have another #1 recruiting class joining the team. In fact, some say this is the best class Saban has brought to the Capstone. Stop and think about that for a minute.

In light of all of that, I think the state of the union for Bama football is very, very strong.

Roll Tide!
    Well written...good points all around.

-Steely Dan

BamaNation Hall of Fame Jack Bourbon's Avatar

We are spoiled is what it boils down to
    Last edited by 4Q Basket Case; January 12th, 2019 at 09:47 AM.