Labryan Ray Arrested Tonight - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Tidewater's Avatar

Re: Labryan Ray Arrested Tonight

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    No one gets arrested for public intoxication on a college campus. He did something to get arrested and this was the charge. No idea what that was, and as long as it didn't include violence, don't really care. Not even sure why this is media worthy.
    Blacksburg PD will form a picket line between Va Tech campus and the strip on Main St. and "interview" students heading back to their dorms after midnight.
    Bagged a bunch every weekend when I was there.
    Maybe the court system was underutilized or the city needed some revenue, but they hand out public intox arrests like parking tickets.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tidewater View Post
    Blacksburg PD will form a picket line between Va Tech campus and the strip on Main St. and "interview" students heading back to their dorms after midnight.
    Bagged a bunch every weekend when I was there.
    Maybe the court system was underutilized or the city needed some revenue, but they hand out public intox arrests like parking tickets.
    If this is true you need to get a different police chief. In the Midwest you are not getting arrested on campus for drinking unless you do something to attract attention to yourself. Even then, if you speak to the police with respect, you are cool. Only idiots get PI arrests up here.

Arresting someone for drinking on campus on a Friday night is a meaningless act that does nothing to protect the public and only creates more distrust between the students and police department. It amounts to harassment.

Unless Ray did something else, this tells me more about the arresting police officer than the arrested.

BamaNation Hall of Fame CajunCrimson's Avatar

Doc Holliday: [to Johnny Ringo, after shooting him in a duel] You're no daisy! You're no daisy at all. Poor soul, you were just too high strung

BamaNation Hall of Fame Tidewater's Avatar

If this is true you need to get a different police chief. In the Midwest you are not getting arrested on campus for drinking unless you do something to attract attention to yourself. Even then, if you speak to the police with respect, you are cool. Only idiots get PI arrests up here.

Arresting someone for drinking on campus on a Friday night is a meaningless act that does nothing to protect the public and only creates more distrust between the students and police department. It amounts to harassment.
    It was a classic "town vs. gown" situation. Students do not vote in Blacksburg election, locals do. Plus, lots of parents of VT students (especially from northern Virginia) urged Blacksburg to "clean up its image," and this was how the mayor did it.
    Unless Ray did something else, this tells me more about the arresting police officer than the arrested.
    Can't say what happened to Ray. Of course, on my most recent stint in Tuscaloosa, I did not spend much time on University Blvd after midnight, as in never. I have no experience with Tuscaloosa PD on the Strip after midnight.

The crime of public intoxication requires more than simply "drinking in public."

Per the Alabama criminal code: A person commits the crime of public intoxication if he appears in a public place under the influence of alcohol, narcotics or other drug to the degree that he endangers himself or another person or property, or by boisterous and offensive conduct annoys another person in his vicinity.

BamaNation Third Team

Quote Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
    Not sure how you mitigate poor judgement .
    So a college student can't have a beer? Truth is we dont know what happened. We can't assume he displayed 'poor judgement' by a mugshot. What if he was defending himself? Just dont be so quick to pass judgement. Saban will get all the facts. Truth be told, he'll deal with the punishment in practice and will start against Duke and this will be a non-story...

BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DogPatch View Post
    The crime of public intoxication requires more than simply "drinking in public."

Per the Alabama criminal code: A person commits the crime of public intoxication if he appears in a public place under the influence of alcohol, narcotics or other drug to the degree that he endangers himself or another person or property, or by boisterous and offensive conduct annoys another person in his vicinity.
    Thanks - that is what I said - he had to be doing something beyond walking back to the dorms in an intoxicated state. Either he was more than just drunk, or the cop was a jerk. I was suggesting that he was more than just drunk when others indicated that this might not be true. I don't know how this works in Tuscaloosa. I know how it works in Ohio. Cops don't harass students in Columbus.

FB|BB Moderator NationalTitles17's Avatar

How old is LR?
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

The TideFan formerly known as NationalTitles16, NationalTitles15, NationalTitles14, NationalTitles13, and NationalTitles12.

BamaNation Hall of Fame DzynKingRTR's Avatar

I hate the offseason.
    Architects do it with models.

Roll Tide Roll

BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jarajam View Post
    Speaking as someone who went to Bama, and has had 2 kids go to Bama...Yeah, they do. I had many a friend, as have my daughters that were arrested for this very thing. And being a rather large guy who looks threatening makes the chances even more likely. And trust me, the football players rarely get cut a break on this sort of thing. I am just glad it was not driving under the influence.
    I recall one oppressively hot summer night when a group of about 10-15 of us students, which included 2-3 football players, were in the parking lot of Martha Parham hall. We were sitting on the hood of cars, drinking beer with someone's radio on. Just sitting there, not driving or being loud, just hanging out. All of a sudden 3 University Police (Rayfield's Raiders as they were referred to in those days) cars pulled into the parking lots with lights flashing. They exited their cars and proceeded to move toward us, they went straight to the football players, got them and took them to their cars. We were told to break it up and go home. Of course it was never mentioned in the Tuscaloosa News. Times have changed.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

BamaNation All-American

Yeah, it's hard to stand out for intoxication in a college town.
    No one gets arrested for public intoxication on a college campus. He did something to get arrested and this was the charge. No idea what that was, and as long as it didn't include violence, don't really care. Not even sure why this is media worthy.

Of all the things one can get in trouble for on a college campus, this one bothers me the least.

He'll pay for it, but this is no biggie unless something else is released.
    Oderint dum metuant - Lucius Accius

BamaNation All-American

Kids most definitely do get hit with public intox on college campuses. Like, a lot.

But this most definitely isn't newsworthy.
    "A great value of antiquity lies in the fact that its writings are the only ones that modern men still read with exactness."