Game Thread: TAMU @ Alabama (2:30 tip on SECN)

bamamoss2

All-SEC
Sep 10, 2000
Cullman, Alabama
(Suffered through the Grant years were the team played defense but was clueless on the offensive end.

Now we have a team that can score but literally wave at the opponent as the drive to basket or leave them open for an easy jumper.

This was a bad loss...a really bad loss.)

Absolutely! No defense except for an occasional block by Hall. Do we have an offensive strategy/scheme? It appears that everyone just fans out around the 3 point line, stands flat footed with no movement and hopes that someone will throw them the ball for an open shot????!!!

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama
Going to say this AJ jr. is not helping this team. He is not great at anything this year. His handles are shaky and he misses wide open 3's. Wonder if those minutes would be better served to a small guy who can shoot. I want AJ to get it done. This season is not over. Anyone thinking we should have beat Villanova needs to wake up. Taking steps if we get past the second round this year that will be another step.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Going to say this AJ jr. is not helping this team. He is not great at anything this year. His handles are shaky and he misses wide open 3's. Wonder if those minutes would be better served to a small guy who can shoot. I want AJ to get it done. This season is not over. Anyone thinking we should have beat Villanova needs to wake up. Taking steps if we get past the second round this year that will be another step.
This team may not break .500 in the conference. It will be lucky to have 17-18 wins going to the SEC tournament. And 18-20 wins is not going to get this team in the NCAA tournament.

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
First half - 11 assists, 43 points (39 off 16-32 FG shooting)

Second half - 2 assists, 37 points (23 off 10-30 FG shooting)

Since I missed all but the last minute or two, what caused the lack of ball movement in the second half?

In regards to the rotation, I wish Avery would keep it around 7 or 8 guys. How could he yesterday, though? Look at the foul situation:

Hall - 3 (1 at halftime)
Kira - 0
Herb - 5 (2 at halftime)
Dazon - 4 (1 at halftime)
Mack - 2 (1 at halftime)
Norris - 5 (2 at halftime)
Reese - 3 (1 at halftime)
Giddens - 1 (1 at halftime)
AJ - 2 (2 at halftime)
Petty - 0

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
First half - 11 assists, 43 points (39 off 16-32 FG shooting)

Second half - 2 assists, 37 points (23 off 10-30 FG shooting)

Since I missed all but the last minute or two, what caused the lack of ball movement in the second half?

In regards to the rotation, I wish Avery would keep it around 7 or 8 guys. How could he yesterday, though? Look at the foul situation:

Hall - 3 (1 at halftime)
Kira - 0
Herb - 5 (2 at halftime)
Dazon - 4 (1 at halftime)
Mack - 2 (1 at halftime)
Norris - 5 (2 at halftime)
Reese - 3 (1 at halftime)
Giddens - 1 (1 at halftime)
AJ - 2 (2 at halftime)
Petty - 0
I’m certainly no expert, but I believe how you play offensively is a product of how you play defensively and vice versa. Every time we had anything that looked as though we were about to develop a “flow” on offense, we would give up something ultra cheap on defense. The offensive momentum would get “stifled” because we could never gain any separation.
Maybe others have a different perspective but that was what frustrated me the most in the 2nd half.

Last edited:

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
Taking into account the last several games (even LSU) I had really thought Bama had progressed to another level.

Point guard position takes a drop when Lewis is not handling the ball and he even has some 17-year-old experience issues.

With all the foul calls against Bama in the first half as pointed out by RTR91, I started to feel good about Bama having such a deep bench.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
I for one am tired of the up and downs this team has taken us on. We lose to teams we have no business losing to and beat teams we should not beat. I thought we had righted the ship after beating UK, but there was simply no is excuse for this loss. This is the worst we've played on the defensive end in years. We gave up 52 to GSU in the 2nd half and 49 to A&M. Ridiculous. This team has talent, but doesn't play on the defensive end at all. All Hall wants to do is score. He was lazy on the defensive end all night.

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture
sadly we're going to continue our struggle with inconsistency. i still like the direction we are heading however we have holes that you just cant tape up. gotta continue to get the right recruits in. one of those holes is inexperience at the PG position. Another is poor defense. not scheme but individual defense. at times it looks like guys are playing in sand.. and goodness our ballhandling from a couple of guys who have a role of handling the ball are awful. i still think we make the tourney..we are able to beat anyone in the league but at the same time capable of losing to anyone. also, i know it looks good to the rankings to get the best players. But you need the right players for your system.

yesitsmed23

1st Team
Aug 28, 2008
Huntsville, AL
Got to find a new offensive scheme....this NBA ball screen crap has to stop! We don't have Zion and RJ Barret (athletes ready for NBA) to run it. We have a couple of good shooters, a great young PG with good vision, and really good slashers with Petty, Ingram and Jones. We have to devise a plan/coach better on the offensive end in order to compete. WE HAVE TO PLAY DEFENSE as well!!! I don't understand why these guys are being so lazy and not playing good defense? Gonna be a long year. I was convinced we may have turned a corner after the UK game, but we give up 88 to LSU and then drop a game we had no business dropping to a half@zz A&M team with one starter back!

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
Frustrating team no doubt ... its still early in SEC play but they really got to figure out a way to stay consistent with their energy and also figure out how to get score when the leading scores are taking a rest. No way we should have lost that game at home up 11 at the start of the second half. The defense was just so weird ... it was like no one believe that A&M could win with 4 seconds left ...

Bama Shoals

1st Team
Jan 17, 2007
Killen, AL
Please make this stop. It's the same old junk year after year after year. Please go find a real college basketball coach like the one Ole Miss got or the one Texas Tech hired!

ReturnToGlory

All-American
Nov 22, 2006
Blakely, Georgia
Please make this stop. It's the same old junk year after year after year. Please go find a real college basketball coach like the one Ole Miss got or the one Texas Tech hired!
They are not "name" coaches. That is what Bama fans were looking for when Avery was hired. I was just hoping for somebody good. BTW, I am not ready to give up on Avery just yet.

Bama Shoals

1st Team
Jan 17, 2007
Killen, AL
They are not "name" coaches. That is what Bama fans were looking for when Avery was hired. I was just hoping for somebody good. BTW, I am not ready to give up on Avery just yet.
That's what Bama needs, a good coach not a name coach. Find a good college basketball coach like Kermit Davis or Chris Beard.

I just finished watching the A&M game this morning before work, and the defensive effort in the second half was sickening. That comes from the coach down and becomes the team's identity. That's not what I want Bama basketball's identity to be as a fan.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
The defense appears to be the issue, which is strange because it was the strong part of the team for Avery's first couple of years.

Alabama has a higher rebound margin (6.4) this year than any of his previous seasons. However, it also has a worse steals per game average (4.3) than the prior three years. The scoring margin (3.6) is only behind the 2016-2017 team's 3.8 points per game. This year's team has a higher scoring average (76.9) than the three previous teams, too. But, this year's team also is giving up more points (73.3) than the other three seasons.

As with his tenure, there are some positive stats and there are some negative stats. Pick and chose which ones you want to go with to fit your narrative.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.