first time long time (First Time Poster)

Status
Not open for further replies.

xxsechxx

Suspended
Jan 8, 2019
Long Island
Been a Tide fan since I was kid and I'm 56 now. I'll be going to my first game Sept 28th against Ol Miss and cant wait.
Now as far as the team goes, the defense is terrible. I know they lost 6 starters from last years team etc... But why is the defense always out of gas? 3rd and 10...first down, 3rd and 16... first down. I also think Hurts should have come in the game to start the 3rd Q. Back to the Defense (or lack of) Oklahoma pretty much scored at will. If they didnt go down 28-0 so quick the Tide would have lost that game. Then they couldnt stop 2 Clemson freshmans. I think next year will be a repeat of this year...Great season and lose in the playoffs. The defense gives me little hope for next year. Change my mind.

Last edited by a moderator:

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Re: first time long time

Welcome to Tidefans, read the rules and post often. With all due respect, your opening post might be a little too much on the critical side. While I might agree, there are more on here who might not see it that way. Anyway, welcome aboard.

westide

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2011

Been a Tide fan since I was kid and I'm 56 now. I'll be going to my first game Sept 28th against Ol Miss and cant wait.
Now as far as the team goes, the defense is terrible. I know they lost 6 starters from last years team etc... But why is the defense always out of gas? 3rd and 10...first down, 3rd and 16... first down. I also think Hurts should have come in the game to start the 3rd Q. Back to the Defense (or lack of) Oklahoma pretty much scored at will. If they didnt go down 28-0 so quick the Tide would have lost that game. Then they couldnt stop 2 Clemson freshmans. I think next year will be a repeat of this year...Great season and lose in the playoffs. The defense gives me little hope for next year. Change my mind.
You seem to have your mind made up. Are you sure you are on the right forum?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

The defense gives me little hope for next year. Change my mind.
Read the posts. Decide for yourself. We are not here to give you hope, but I can assure you that all have not fallen into despair.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Welcome and Roll Tide!

A little hyperbolic, don't you think?

If I didn't know better (I don't) I'd say we are being trolled. Prove me wrong.

Last edited:

Ob1k3nobi

Sep 6, 2018
D has given up around 40-50 pts every time we have played clemson in the title game and bama is 1 - 2 in those games. Granted held uga far below that last year. Of course deshawn watson is and suspect trevor lawrence will be generational type talents so maybe not totally fair comparison. This years loss was totally inexplicable seemed as if everyone decided to have their worse game of the year on the same day. Pointing blame could look at nearly everyone and be correct

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
D has given up around 40-50 pts every time we have played clemson in the title game and bama is 1 - 2 in those games.
Why do people exclude the CFP game last year. It is stupid. They were a playoff team but the game doesn't count because it came in round one? They were the #1 seed when you played them. You held them to 6 points. 6 points.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
Why do people exclude the CFP game last year. It is stupid. They were a playoff team but the game doesn't count because it came in round one? They were the #1 seed when you played them. You held them to 6 points. 6 points.
Because the trolls need something to complain about!

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
Welcome, my first Bama game was against Ole Miss 5 years ago and it was life changing. I’ve loved everything about Alabama football my whole life, but attending Bryant Denny will change your perspective on everything you think you know. A gameday in Tuscaloosa is like no other.

As to the rest of your post, there are so many flaws in your logic. Doubt I’ll change your mind since it already seems pretty made up, but since you asked...

1. Defensive conditioning was primarily due to poor depth. Poor depth was primarily a symptom of injuries. By the end of the season we were down multiple starters, especially in the back 7. Next years defense will be loaded with talent and the depth should be marginally better. It will all come down to health and offseason development.

2. Monday wasn’t our night, personnel changes wouldn’t have changed that. One team had a perfect game plan, the other didn’t. It was very different than the SEC championship where the deficit was primarily due to Tua’s injury, which made Hurts the key cog to a comeback. The championship game we played one of the best defenses assembled in recent memory and we got beat. Is what it is.

3. As to next year, saying it will be a repeat is discounting multiple possible factors:
A. You say we couldn’t stop two Clemson freshmen, yet you don’t consider that buried in our loaded class we might have a couple of game changers ourselves. Next years class is stellar, I think we’ll see a couple of diaper dandies of our own.
B. You aren’t considering we had a young, first year D coordinator who in many ways was trying to figure out his system. Tosh will become a better DC as he gets more seasoned. Kirby had his missteps early on, and I believe that Tosh is just as talented as Kirby was.
C. You also don’t consider that it’s nearly impossible to go wire to wire as favorites, which we had to do this year. We are not only going into next year with the motivation of having been embarrassed, but also the fire that we are no longer the favorites. I believe we are going to see an attitude like we haven’t seen in years from next years defense.
D. You forget that Saban is the most innovative coach in sports. Every time he loses, he comes back with a concept that revolutionizes his team. I don’t know what that will be, if I did I’d be Saban, but look out for things we’ve never seen before.

I can’t guarantee that next year will be a championship year, but I can guarantee that it won’t be a repeat of this year. I think we’ll be a far more complete team than we were this year, and I also wouldn’t be surprised if we have better coaching when it’s all said and done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Ob1k3nobi

Sep 6, 2018
Its not excluded from title games most semifinal games are historically blowouts with some exceptions. The thing is clemson had a sub par qb last year that was the difference. Their D played well it was their O that held them back mostly because they had no vertical passing game. When bama plays a team with vertical passing game the d bleeds points going back at least 4 years.

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Its not excluded from title games most semifinal games are historically blowouts with some exceptions. The thing is clemson had a sub par qb last year that was the difference. Their D played well it was their O that held them back mostly because they had no vertical passing game. When bama plays a team with vertical passing game the d bleeds points going back at least 4 years.
Whatever - Alabama had no vertical passing game and no one was making excuses for them. With a regressing Jalen Hurts at QB, you destroyed Clemson. Stop making excuses for Clemson in that game. They were ranked #1. You held them to 6 points. It counts. Only people trying to make Alabama look weak don't count it.

Ob1k3nobi

Sep 6, 2018
Whatever - Alabama had no vertical passing game and no one was making excuses for them. With a regressing Jalen Hurts at QB, you destroyed Clemson. Stop making excuses for Clemson in that game. They were ranked #1. You held them to 6 points. It counts. Only people trying to make Alabama look weak don't count it.
Last year if you said JH had no vertical passing game you would have been flamed off the board lol

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Last year if you said JH had no vertical passing game you would have been flamed off the board lol
Half the board wanted Jalen benched for Tua before the CFP started. The Alabama receivers were in active revolt. I'm sorry, but were you even paying attention?

Clemson was ranked #1 for a reason, but Alabama got everyone back on defense before that game and they were angry. They played the game of their lives against Clemson. Your defense won that game.

BTW, I love Jalen, so please don't take this as Jalen bashing. He has vastly improved this year and I look forward to seeing what he can do at his new school.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
Has anyone noticed the "original poster" hasn't posted since you guys have been arguing? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.