What's with all the troll accounts being created?

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
Seriously, it's getting very annoying. I know most of the country is ecstatic that Clemson beat us but, that's no reason to come here and try to start crap. Go to a less moderated forum to have your fun.

I here by introduce bill 2019-001 to the floor. The Right for Members to Mourn in Peace, TideFans Registration Cool Down Period.

I purpose a registration freeze until March 1, 2019. Any real Bama fan will gladly wait and, hopefully, by then the trolls will have moved on to their next victim.

Sorry, just had to rant a little but, I don't think it is a terrible idea. Mods, what you think?

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Seriously, it's getting very annoying. I know most of the country is ecstatic that Clemson beat us but, that's no reason to come here and try to start crap. Go to a less moderated forum to have your fun.

I here by introduce bill 2019-001 to the floor. The Right for Members to Mourn in Peace, TideFans Registration Cool Down Period.

I purpose a registration freeze until March 1, 2019. Any real Bama fan will gladly wait and, hopefully, by then the trolls will have moved on to their next victim.

Sorry, just had to rant a little but, I don't think it is a terrible idea. Mods, what you think?
Well, we don't usually allow policy discussion on the open forums, but I'm ready to listen, being the one who approves/disapproves every applicant. We've never banned all of one fan group except for LSU, years ago, in a very specific situation. So, would you ban all names with "tiger" in them? Also, most proposed usernames don't have anything about them indicating their fan preference, much less that they're going to be a troll. So, how would you tell? This morning, I had 26 applications to clear. A couple had unacceptable usernames. A couple had IPs appearing in more than one abuse database. A couple traced to offshore anonymizer ISPs. All in all, it took about about an hour and a half. Other than that, I don't know how to tell a troll until they make a trollish post, in which case they're zapped. So, tell me how to do my job better. I might just give it to you... ;)

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Well, we don't usually allow policy discussion on the open forums, but I'm ready to listen, being the one who approves/disapproves every applicant. We've never banned all of one fan group except for LSU, years ago, in a very specific situation. So, would you ban all names with "tiger" in them? Also, most proposed usernames don't have anything about them indicating their fan preference, much less that they're going to be a troll. So, how would you tell? This morning, I had 26 applications to clear. A couple had unacceptable usernames. A couple had IPs appearing in more than one abuse database. A couple traced to offshore anonymizer ISPs. All in all, it took about about an hour and a half. Other than that, I don't know how to tell a troll until they make a trollish post, in which case they're zapped. So, tell me how to do my job better. I might just give it to you... ;)
How about anyone wishing to join to send a brief introduction to the site administrator (who could then delegate as desired) for review before approving membership?

Sounds like an extra step involved but seems like if you wanted to do something to help with some of the trolls....this might be a possible option to consider.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Even once they post they don't always make 100% clear their intent in the beginning.

Of course, some people seem to have pinned up emotion that comes up in their first post, which always raises an eyebrow; but some seem to think that any and all dissent or complaining is trolling. (present company excluded)

I feel we do a pretty decent job handling trolls when they reveal themselves and there are many times we "feel" it coming.

There is a balance between being an open and welcoming place and placing barriers to entry or continued interaction, similar to what takes place in a free society.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
Sorry if I offended you, I was really trying to just be funny. I’ve just notice a handful of new users who’ve only made 1 post that is extremely critical of the team and I thought I try and make a joke about it. Guess I should have used the blue font.

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
Thank you for doing everything you currently do to filter out the potential troll. There is no full proof method to stop the crazies and jerks. A few get through the initial screening but their true colors come out within the first dozen post. Eventually, these troll's mom will call them up from the basement for diner and they will go away.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
How about anyone wishing to join to send a brief introduction to the site administrator (who could then delegate as desired) for review before approving membership?

Sounds like an extra step involved but seems like if you wanted to do something to help with some of the trolls....this might be a possible option to consider.
During high season, that would turn a job requiring several hours a week into a half-time job. No volunteer has that kind of time. 50 - 60 or more applicants a week is not unusual in high season. Think about the time involved...

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
During high season, that would turn a job requiring several hours a week into a half-time job. No volunteer has that kind of time. 50 - 60 or more applicants a week is not unusual in high season. Think about the time involved...
Post 'em all on the forum and let the members decide. Keep it all in one thread and call it "Yah or Nay." :D

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
BTW, no usernames which are obviously commercial get through. Occasionally, if I have time, I'll shoot an email to the registered email, asking if they are hoping to advertise. As you might expect, there is almost never a reply. They don't get approved. A lot of registration emails prove to be bogus and they don't get through. Lately, there's been a spate of obvious anonymizer ISPs. Most of these are retread banned users, trying to sneak back in. As Tony said above, it's not always obvious who's a troll, since they frequently start out with innocuous posts and show their true colors with time. There's no way which is perfect. A few will still slip through, but not many, with my methods...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.