UA Coaching Carousel - Discussion of Hires...

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
Re: 2018-19 Coaching Carousel

Not sure but I think Freeze did do a good job of utilizing his WRs and TEs very well. Gave the DBs hell the two times he beat Bama
The problem is, when I Google freeze offense most of the results talk about tempo more than his actual offensive philosophy. He has not coached an offense in a couple years and my memory is not perfect especially when talking about an opposing fan base offensive philosophy. So, all I have to go on is he likes tempo.

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014

So his head coaching record (I wanna say sucks but 3-31 is worse than sucking.) This is why I am not optimistic. You can be a great OC and still suck and being the head coach. I know Saban develops assistants to be more than assistants over the course of developing but does anyone know that he had enough time to develop him into more than a great OC? The jump between the 2 is huge.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

So his head coaching record (I wanna say sucks but 3-31 is worse than sucking.) This is why I am not optimistic. You can be a great OC and still suck and being the head coach. I know Saban develops assistants to be more than assistants over the course of developing but does anyone know that he had enough time to develop him into more than a great OC? The jump between the 2 is huge.
It’s not just his 3-31 record. The article hits on the off the field issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014

It’s not just his 3-31 record. The article hits on the off the field issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm seeing stuff from 2009 and 2010. He could have matured since then. I know I have.

Harmost

All-American
Sep 19, 2005
Re: First Head Coaching Casualty of 2018

Locksley is expected to stay with the team through the playoff.

Say what you want about Locksley and his playcalling at times, but dang.... hes one heck of a coach. Players respect him.
Players do like him, but that says absolutely nothing about his coaching ability.

Anyway, only real concern about this to me is Locksley poaching other members of our staff. That's almost inevitable with any coordinator departure though, so I guess I should say poaching the best members of our staff.

graydogg85

1st Team
Feb 7, 2006
Huntsville, AL

The problem is, when I Google freeze offense most of the results talk about tempo more than his actual offensive philosophy. He has not coached an offense in a couple years and my memory is not perfect especially when talking about an opposing fan base offensive philosophy. So, all I have to go on is he likes tempo.
Freeze historically runs a pass-heavy variant of essentially the same scheme they run at Clemson. It’s a spread offense run principally from the shotgun with lots of tempo. Freeze de-emphasized the conventional running game with RBs at Ole Miss to the point that it was almost just a change of pace. Not sure if that was by design or if personnel dictated it.

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014

Freeze historically runs a pass-heavy variant of essentially the same scheme they run at Clemson. It’s a spread offense run principally from the shotgun with lots of tempo. Freeze de-emphasized the conventional running game with RBs at Ole Miss to the point that it was almost just a change of pace. Not sure if that was by design or if personnel dictated it.
That is what I remember. Running backs under freeze saw very few carries. That is the opposite of Alabama. Now, if that were a personell issue and not a scheme issue then he is just a smart coach that adapted . If that was by design then it's a problem.

graydogg85

1st Team
Feb 7, 2006
Huntsville, AL

That is what I remember. Running backs under freeze saw very few carries. That is the opposite of Alabama. Now, if that were a personell issue and not a scheme issue then he is just a smart coach that adapted . If that was by design then it's a problem.
Agreed. I recall Ole Miss having a backfield primarily composed of scat backs while Freeze was there, and while the Rebs ran the ball as a team quite a bit, the bulk of the rushing production came from either the QB position or jet sweeps, etc.. Designed handoffs to running backs in a conventional downhill manner were not common in that offense.

Now, hypothetically if Freeze ended up at Alabama I sincerely doubt he’d be allowed (or even attempt) to implement that scheme. I suspect a large part of it was the talent Ole Miss had available. I think he’s a pretty good offensive coach and playcaller, and would probably do really well within the constraints of our system - which is increasingly spread based anyway. Not sure he’s a quality human being, though.....

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL

Locksley did a good job but Enos is capable of carrying the offense to the next level but I wouldn't be surprised if Hugh Freeze doesn't come into the picture....
So, you would be surprised if Hugh Freeze did come into the picture?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.

I think he was brought in with the assumption that he'd rise to OC within two off-seasons.
And with us having an opening for an Offensive Coordinator...
I see Enos as our next Offensive boss... (BTW: Our players really like him)
Maybe it's just me, but I ain't a fan of CHF... I know he can coach, but I don't like him.
Promote Enos, and bring in another good Offensive coach to work with him.
(I Sugar Coated That for the tender hearted...)

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama

And with us having an opening for an Offensive Coordinator...
I see Enos as our next Offensive boss... (BTW: Our players really like him)
Maybe it's just me, but I ain't a fan of CHF... I know he can coach, but I don't like him.
Promote Enos, and bring in another good Offensive coach to work with him.
(I Sugar Coated That for the tender hearted...)
I agree but, I don't see CNS getting Dan and me on a conference call soliciting our input. How much impact will losing Locksley affect our recruiting in the DC, VA and MD region?

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012

I agree but, I don't see CNS getting Dan and me on a conference call soliciting our input. How much impact will losing Locksley affect our recruiting in the DC, VA and MD region?
We currently have 4 players committed from that area now.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

bamafan1966

Scout Team
Sep 4, 2017

So, you would be surprised if Hugh Freeze did come into the picture?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Poorly worded.....I wouldn't be surprised if Hugh Freeze came into the picture. IMO Freeze will be considered for the OC position. It might only be briefly before promoting Enos but all potential candidates should be vetted. Thanks for pointing out the error....

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.